Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-26-10, 10:02 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Where did all the bass go?

Okay. Some bass are still spawning on this natural lake I fish. Just three days ago when it was sunny, I was catching these bass on bluegill beds around flats, rocks... wherever the bluegill are. So yesterday, I see only a couple roaming these areas. Then I keep getting bit, but only from ROCK BASS! I did catch a couple of small largemouth, but where are the bigguns?

It was overcast and calm. I tried the areas with shallow crankbaits, lipless crankbaits, swim jigs, docks, topwater, dropshots. The only large fish I caught was off a spawning bed.
I tried some shallow mat/wood cover by the areas the bass and bluegill normally spawn. I also tried some 10' or so roadbeds near these flat areas.

hmmm.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 04:43 PM   #2
3dkicker

I believe they call that "post spawn" fishing which confuses a lot of fishermen. If you figure it out let us know......
Old 05-26-10, 04:54 PM   #3
Jim80

Had the same conditions last night man been killing them right up until then but it was all pickerel for us the weird thing is the blue gill are spawning right know .

jim
Old 05-26-10, 08:16 PM   #4
bassinbob

Maybe some bluegill colored cranks or tubes might work. I have trouble catching anything right now. Hope this weekend things turn around.
Old 05-29-10, 03:10 AM   #5
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

They dropped out on me too. I'm only hooking them deep and on drop offs about 5-8 down, and even then its only a few. I had two big ones chase a shallow Bomber Fat A up the side of a drop off into the bluegill beds, the smaller one caught it, but I didn't get the hook set. I got the crank back out in front of the bigger one, but he ignored it. I was so mad.

Last edited by BassFeverJohn; 05-29-10 at 04:05 AM.
BassFeverJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-10, 07:12 PM   #6
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Look for bottom of the lake ditches or small valleys that run towards deeper water. Many times they will hang along those path ways a little deeper than usual when it gets overcast, they may be expecting a front to be coming through plus the post spawn has them recharging and only going for easy food, not actively chasing the bigger food.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.