Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-06-06, 05:18 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default deep water

I think i really need help with deep water (10+)tactics.can you guys help me like what lure and how you use them and also what cover do you look for?

Thanks,
BF
Old 06-06-06, 05:37 PM   #2
Bo Dale James Jr.

I read in Field and Stream June 2006. In the dim light of deeper water fish see dark baits better than brightly colored ones. Seems weird but that's fish.
Old 06-06-06, 07:25 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

creek channels,drop off's brushpiles stumps.. it is rare that weeds grow in deeper water..

zooker
Old 06-06-06, 07:40 PM   #4
Rebbasser

The depth of the water will determine what you use. A deep running crankbait like a Norman DD-22 will get 10+ feet deep, but it is a workout to use. Your best bet will be a Carolina or Texas rig/jig-n-pig. I use the jig/Texas rig when fishing a specific piece of cover like a flooded tree and a C-rig when trying to find fish. To be honest, though, I don't fish deep water that much-I may be sitting over deep water but I am throwing shallow.
Old 06-06-06, 08:50 PM   #5
dodgeguy

c-rig,deepcranks and drop shot are the best ways to fish deep.find humps on your sonar that have fish and try these techniques.
Old 06-06-06, 09:50 PM   #6
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I do pretty much the same as Reb, but I hardly ever use deep cranks. However, I have them in the box just in case.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-06, 05:09 PM   #7
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
I do pretty much the same as Reb, but I hardly ever use deep cranks. However, I have them in the box just in case.
i dont really fish deep water,unless it is clear because you can see the fish .anyways,thanks for the posts!
Old 06-07-06, 05:14 PM   #8
JB

I prefer the DD22, but an easier way to hit bottom is let a ratLtrap sink and then start retrieving from the deep..It sure helps tho if you have some
kind of depthfinder to see if the fish are there or not, many times fish will pull out of the shallows and suspend over a big break, lets say for example 7-19 feet, if you see a drop like that and then fish on the screen, its worth a shot to work it over and see if those images are bass..its a technique that many of us don't us enough
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 06:29 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With the above lure choices might I add TRUST your electronics and LEARN how to read them like a book. They are your eyes to the deeper water and I gurantee you that your catch rate will go up when relying on electronics.
Old 06-09-06, 11:25 AM   #10
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Deep Water, never been there or done that, when you learn how to fish deep water sucessfully and consistantly, let me know how you did it.

Seriously, I don't know for sure, but I believe only about 10 to 15 percent of bass fisherman even try it on a regular basis. Out on my local lakes, most every one is tossing in the weed beds or along points and flats of some sort, I only see a small percentage of guys out in the deep water, and I don't see them sitting there for long either when I do see them there.

Good Luck
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 02:04 PM   #11
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think that the vast majority of anglers donīt fish deep water just because they donīt know how to fish it, not because the fish arenīt there.

Unfortunately most anglers fish what they see, they need something right before their very eyes to target to hoping that itīs productive, which 9 out of 10 times is not; Fastlaser is absolutely right, electronics are your ticket to deep water fishing, finders are not to find fish, finders are to locate the structure and/or cover underwater that holds the fish.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 05:59 PM   #12
Tnbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to Tnbasser

Well, my first choice will always be the deep running crankbaits, and yes they will throttle you.But I guess after 20 years of chunking em I am just used to it. Next choice would be a big heavy spinnerbait slowrolled or a carolina rig. last would be the drop shot.
Tnbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 01:34 PM   #13
zooker

boss nice to see ya back hoss..

zooker
Old 06-11-06, 12:30 PM   #14
baitcast23
BassFishin.Com Member

try to use a zoom lightgreen lizerd with a bullet wate on the front and throw it in any deep water and i might help u with deep water fishing.
baitcast23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.