Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 11-18-07, 10:30 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default short boat tourny fishin

a good friend of mine and fellow ycg member showed up this morning with his father in laws boat to fish a ycg tourny..
his ride was a stratos 250 packing a 48 horse -non tilt trim- johnson.. with the stock tin prop..same hull as my own..

he hit the gas and was gone. i had to clear boats afore i tromped on it. it only took a mile or so for me to reel him in and go by him..-he had a 600 yard head start- my guess is he was doin about 32-33 mph -his speedo said 25- i know in the 32 degree air temp i was running about 38-39 gps at 5700 rpm thru some major heavy fog.. just as i was pullin by mike, lil eddie b tore past.. -he was running well over 65 while wearing a speedo- he aint right!!

in the end of the day myself and mike were discussin the event.. both of us former big boat guys. we did get a quite kick out of saying " well i think i only burnt 2 maybe 3 gallon of gas today"
got to amit though with the price of gas climbing it does feel pretty good fillin up for only $20-$25.. and being able to fish at least two days with it..

we both discussed that you have to adjust to your boat as to the way you fish a certain area. with a slower/smaller boat you are FORCED to fish and area much more throughly. before moving on to the next spot..it is more of a finesse style of boat operation. as you know that it takes 15-25 mintues of run time to the next spot..

we both ran well over 20 miles with just the outboards alone..this IS average distance for the both of us during a fall tourny..

we both agree that it don't matter the size of the boat.just the skill of the angler in that boat. and the ability to adjust to fishing from a lil boat..

zooker
Old 11-19-07, 12:51 AM   #2
Fish81156
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish out of an 86 Tracker Tournament TX 175 I redid it has a 50hp Mariner with a 10 1/2 in. 12 pitch prop and with 2 guys and gear for a tournament we run 33 to 35 wot at 5600rpm. on gps. I also agree its not the boat that catches the fish its the angler in the boat. The advantage to a faster boat is just as you say it gives you more time to run and gun. I try to find 4 spots that we are going to work over very hard in a tournament and I try to find them in hard to reach areas so they are not that pressured. Some of the ares we have to cross 6" of water to get to but once in we are the only ones there,big glass boats with 250's on the back have trouble getting through skinny water like that. Adjusting to what your boat can do fishing is half the fun of fishing. I've fished out of my boat for 7 years and I have no interest in looking for anotherone this one fits like a glove.
Fish81156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-07, 01:44 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01

the last boat i had was a 16 footer with a 50hp mariner on it. i probably caught more fish with it than i have my new one so far. it forces you to really fish out a spot like you said, and also scratches on it from getting into tight spots meant nothing. now i wanna puke everytime i bump a tree or dock with my new on, and i get sick of feeding that bigger motor. but i like the benifits of being able to run longer distances to my fish and not being beat there by someone else. both have their pro's and con's but it all comes down to the guy with the rod, not the boat he is standing in.
Old 11-19-07, 09:12 PM   #4
zooker

my average distance during the ycg tourny's is about 45 miles if i left the gps on the whole time.. my longest one way run would be 13 miles... of course i run to the longest spot and work my way back to the launch..

there is much more to the above story but i can't post it here..

zooker
Old 11-19-07, 11:59 PM   #5
Fish81156
BassFishin.Com Member

I do the same thing but manage to stay within about 5 miles from the weight in site. I have found some great out of the way spots that take a little work to get into but once in we have it all to ourselves. I fish the chain of lakes in Antioch Il. and the longest lake only takes about 5 minutes to cross and then you have to go through channels(no wake) to the next lake so a fast boat dosent have a real big atvantage from the top lake to the bottom is only about 12 miles but you have to go through 5 channels to do it. I stay on the top 3 lakes and channels. I'm going to try to get out this weekend we still have 40degree weather and I'm itchin for fishin
Fish81156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 06:52 PM   #6
zooker

c-rig
i had an 18 foot lund with a 130 rude. mikey had a 18 foot stratos with a 175.. we both say the same thing. screw them gas chuggers.. the lakes around here are not big enough to get truely mean-unlike the great lakes i used to fish- sure we get tossed about easily during the summer but we learn to "dodge the crowd"...

you will find that you can turn the lil boats on a dime and get into places that you simplely can't with a larger boat..

this is the best quote about boat owner ship i have seen. and trust me guys it is very true..

"it all comes down to the guy with the rod, not the boat he is standing in."

zooker
Old 11-20-07, 08:41 PM   #7
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My tin can only runs 27-28 mph wot, but she runs. 10 gallon tank usually will last 2 days. Did sputter it last year at Big "o", a lot of wind I think threw my consumption off. I usually go far and work back. Best thing about it, I can sit in 8-10" of water and not hit. I want a bigger boat to run some bigger water, but Ill probably never get rid of my alumacraft.
Old 11-22-07, 08:10 AM   #8
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Gotta agree with ole ZOOK this time. I used to really wack the bass and put more trophy's on the shelf with a 14' jon bote and a 7 1/2hp merc and a sculling paddle than I ever have with the go fast glass rigs I fish outta now. As he stated you have to PICK your areas much more closely and fish them harder but there is a BIG advantage to doing so. I gurantee you will become a better angler if you force yourself to catch fish from the water you have picked.
Old 11-22-07, 11:21 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

aaaahhh shucks zooker, your gonna make me blush. not often people think anything out of my mouth is a great quote, although when i loose a good fish my buddies thend to laugh and repeat my long string of curse words over and over and over and over.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.