Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-05, 10:33 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default wekiva river

my dad is going to be moving by the wekiva winter and i was wondering if anyone is familiar with the river. i am not familiar w/ fishin rivers so any advise would be nice. also if any one knows if this river is a good bass fishing river. thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 04:04 AM   #2
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo
Default Re: wekiva river

Only advice of mine, is look for structure that breaks the current, or any sort of still water within the river's bounds.
Thing such as that could be just a small pond that is fed by the branching-off stream from the main river.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 08:55 PM   #3
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

From what Ive heard the wekiva isnt a very fast moving waterway. Also heard that it is crystal clear. My buddy canoes there pretty regularly and says you can look down and see monster bass just sitting there. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 11:28 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

i went today where my dad is moving and found out that it is the little wekiva river. i went down to it and was very dissapointed. i have no idea why they call it a river, it is more like a creek. its only about 8 feet wide and not very deep at all. Â*it is clear and at some points i can see where the water is pretty deep and can see baby bass swiming around stumps. i am mostly going to be fishing these areas. but it should have been called a creek. well atleast i can fish something. the areas that are deep are more like Â*holes at the bottom about 5-10 feet long and 4-5' wide. wat kind of lures should i use in these areas? thanks
Old 01-16-05, 11:40 PM   #5
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

If the water is stained like the rest of floridas... T-RIGGED 6in JUNEBUG LIZARDS!!!
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 11:50 PM   #6
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Try maybe some Yo-Zuri Pin's Minnows, or any other realistic jerkbait on spinning gear. Â*This is one situation where I would use finesse, Â*6 - 8 lb line and small, shiny lures. Â*You could also try soft jerkbaits, especially the fluke jrs in white. Or try bubblegum floating worms, for whatever reason they do pretty good in these type situations. Â*Pay attention to the holes and the current especially, the good thing about small creeks that are clear is it is easy to read the water and it can be high percentage fishing as long as you can get the fish to bite. Â*
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-05, 12:04 AM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

the water is clear but in these holes i cant see the bottom.
Old 01-17-05, 12:09 AM   #8
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Its probably better that you can't see the bottom. A lot of fish are likely in the areas where you can't see the bottom. Commorants are all over florida, and they feast on fish in shallow waters with a light sandy bottom - hence depressions where the outline of a fish is not apparent should be considered cover in and of itself.

Up here in North Alabama, when wading streams for smallies my favorite source of cover is what I call green water - normally water deeper than 5 feet that is green cause you can't see the bottom. Often my largest smallmouth come from working these holes.
Old 01-17-05, 07:09 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

can some one give me a website for the yo-zuris, fluke jrs and june bugs? i just need to know wat they look like
Old 01-17-05, 07:49 PM   #10
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ok i saw the yo-zuri's should i get baby bass? also are the fluke jrs zoom super fluke jrs and if so what color should i get? thanks
Old 01-17-05, 08:01 PM   #11
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Super fluke jrs are what I'm talking about. They are made by zoom bait company. White is a fine color. Start out with that. Rig them on 2/0 worm hook weightless and twitch them.

The yo-zuri pins minnows are so small that I don't think the color matters as long as its shiny, so go ahead and get baby bass.

Junebug worms...well.....they grows those on the palm trees down there. Any florida tackleshop has them. I would get smaller worms in this instance, maybe 6 inches or a little smaller.
Old 01-18-05, 03:01 PM   #12
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

[ftp] http://www.seminole.wateratlas.usf.e...asp?wshedID=15 [/ftp]

I found places like this just type in wekiva rive maps and info youll find what ever you need to know.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.