Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-02-08, 09:14 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default You can catch anything on cranks . . .

A catfish that I caught on a DT-6 shad color:
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 09:25 PM   #2
Wishing2BFishing

Took another try to get the pic to show up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9:14:08 Crankbait catfish2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2918  
Old 12-02-08, 09:29 PM   #3
3dkicker

You take him home for a quick fry or release him to fight another day?

I've caught carp, bowfin, gar, bluefish, blue crabs, and turtles too on cranks. All while bass fishing. I haven't got a snakehead yet.
Old 12-02-08, 09:31 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

I have caught carp and bluefish on cranks but no gar, crabs, or turtles.
Old 12-02-08, 09:51 PM   #5
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man that happens nearly everytime you fish in these warm texas lakes..Southeast.You catchum on any artificial you throw..They love the scent on gulp worms..Nice eating cat you caught.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 10:12 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

yummy. I've caugh catfish and carp on crankbaits as well. No turtles though...

BB
Old 12-02-08, 10:14 PM   #7
66KingFisher

I caught one on a spinnerbait one time, and on lots of roostertails....pretty colored cat.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:49 PM   #8
EastTexas
BassFishin.Com Member

I caught a cat fish on a jitterbug. And a house cat on some other crank...

Do know how many fishermen it takes to remove a hook from a house cat?

- 3!

Don't leave them on the rod w/ pets and people!!!
EastTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-08, 06:00 PM   #9
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post

Do know how many fishermen it takes to remove a hook from a house cat?

- 3!

that is WITHOUT a dout the funniest dam thing i have seen posted on this site...

lets see a turtle,all 4 kinds of catfish,war mouths,crappie,gizzard shad,pickeral,fishing rod,and an 8 foot step ladder...

zooker
Old 12-03-08, 06:10 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

I'm not going to say I caught it, but I sure tried...Had about a 20-25 pound catfish grab a Glass Rap the other weekend. He didn't pay much attention to me for a minute, but as soon as he saw the boat, he decided he needed to go the other way. I couldn't loosen the drag fast enough, and he broke me off.
$6 lure, first time I'd tried it...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 07:34 AM   #11
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Circa the 70s, before Calaveras Lake, just south of San Antonio, became a trash-littered, cormorant-cursed, illegal alien playground and was still a prime bass, crappie, and catfish lake, we used to go meat fishing for cats using nothing but Cordell Hot Spots in Smoky Joe finish and 4" grubs on jigheads.
At night, fishing along the intake canal riprap, we'd catch numerous catfish on TOPWATER plugs, primarily the old PICO Slasher prop bait in black.
One morning, about that same time, I tossed a Hula Popper into the pads at Lake McQueeney and was just letting it sit as I lit up a cigar. Ker-Bloop! There went my H'Popper in the mouth of a Blue Cat that weighed in a 8+ lbs on the Zebco DeFibber.
I caught a huge Yellow Cat on a white spinnerbait at Lake Livingston and have caught innumerable cats on soft plastics. I caught an 18 lb Yellow on a 1/8 oz Hopkins Spoon while bellyboating and ultralighting for crappie at Boerne City Lake (45 minutes of being towed around on 4 lb test, but I got her,) near SA and caught two huge slab crappie on blue 6" Mann's Jellys while bassin' at the same lake...go figure.
I've also caught more than one Grinnel/Choupique/Bowfin/MuleD--k on lures, most all when I was a youngster in an Army family posted to Fort Polk LA.
In short, though not as surprise-laden as saltwater, freshwater bodies can still drop one on you now and then.
The topper? My largest LMB, an 8.25 lb, came on a 6-weight fly rod, tiny bream popper, and a 3 lb leader tippet. That took a while too. All I wanted was some nice 'gills to fry!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 03:02 PM   #12
JB

I've caught several snapping turtles on spinnerbaits, and a couple of blue cats too.
Crankbaits...carp, big slimey shad, gills, crappie, walleye, white bass, stripers

Its always a bummer when you're in a tourney and catch a big cat and think its a big bass, till ya see the line rolling and rolling LOL
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 06:40 PM   #13
zooker

come on jb at least it were not an american eel...dam aweful nasty beast..

the most entertaining for me was and will always be snagging a muskrat with a buzz bait. they are absoultly mean lil beggers..

zooker
Old 12-04-08, 08:06 PM   #14
JB

I hooked a goose once in the wing and up at erie once got my mr twister hung up in the arm pit of a duck that took it pretty high up there.
Both critters were ok and flew off after I yank on the line and free'd the hook.
Old 12-05-08, 03:18 PM   #15
BassinBandit

I caught a 12 pound Channel on a storm wiggle wart two years ago in a tournament. Everybody in the tournament said I should kept it to eat but I didnt have anywhere to put it.
Old 12-05-08, 03:50 PM   #16
Raul

Catfish, trout, bream, crappies, an ocassional carp, a hat, a mammoth size piece of ladies underwear ( bet that chick had a HUGE rear end ! ), pieces of rope, pieces of net, trees, bushes, weeds and a goose, plus some other things I can´t exacly identify have been caught by me with cranks, not to mention all kinds of stuff I´ve caught with then inside the boat, jackets, sweaters, tacklebags, potato chip bags ( hate when I hook those and I just opened the bag ).

Who say you don´t ketch nuthin´with a crankbait ?

Very "productive" lures !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 06:12 PM   #17
RangerDad
BassFishin.Com Member

Hooked a sea gull on a Rapala top water. Tossed it out and as soon as the broken back rainbow trout hit the water, the bird came down and just took that lure up up and away.
Not sure how many folks it took to get that hook out of the bird, but that was one mean bird. He even yelled at us for not feeding him as he flew away.
Tossed a Rapala onto a lake one time and as I was jerking it back in, bam hit a 8 pound carp in the side. Get him off OK and made another cast. Bam a 2 3 foot dark shadow came out of the weeds. (thinking it was that same carp) I stopped moving the lure. Bam, have no idea what it was, all I saw was teeth coming up out of the water, and there went my lure to the other side of the lake.
Switched to my heavier gear and no hits the rest of the day. Which was about an hour, cause it was a private lake and I got booted off.
I will tell you the truth, I swear that I never saw that 20 foot billboard saying it was a private lake.
Honest, that sign was not there when I came into the parking area!
RangerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 07:58 PM   #18
rrw4258

My biggest catch on a crank would have to be a 33 inch sheephead (freshwater drum) out of Lake Erie... hit a Rapala DT-4 in Hot Mustard...

Ryan
Old 12-05-08, 08:23 PM   #19
JB

it purr for ya rrw? lol
Old 12-08-08, 11:50 AM   #20
WTL

My best ever was an alligator on a d.o.a. shrimp. The best I ever saw was a hawk on a Luhr Jensen Nip I Didee topwater. Lucky the hooks didnt stick in him, but the hawk swooped down from the sky and picked the lure up and carried it 20 feet before letting go.
Old 12-08-08, 02:40 PM   #21
bassnman30

When I was young we went to McQueeny when I was San Antonio, I hook a catfish appx. 12 inches across the top of his head before he broke off.
We were fishing in site off the bridge.
Oh those were the days.
Old 12-09-08, 01:40 PM   #22
garry_3000

Last year I was fishin an frog over thick mats and boom I thought I had mo-zilla but it was an 7lb cat
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 06:43 PM   #23
rrw4258

JB, that was a real fun one to try and get off of the hook... while fighting it, i actually thought it was a bass at first and then you see a big old body of nothing but silver and white come up out of the water...

Ryan
Old 12-19-08, 12:21 PM   #24
The Doc

While I was on vacation earlier this year after returning from Iraq, My wife warns me "You are NOT fishing on my vacation." She didn't know that there was a Bass Pro Shops in Pigeon Forge, TN. So we go and I pick up a little ultralight spinning combo and a couple small jerkbaits and cranks for the river. Apparently they call it muscle memory for a reason. I kinda forgot that I wasn't tossing a 7 foot rod and I ended up hooking myself in the back of the head, through my hat, with a Rapala. I had to go to the hospital to get it removed. So, the count for weird fish on crankbaits for me is 1 assfish, me.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.