Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-19-08, 11:46 AM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Deep Cranking Question

I had a lot of success this summer deep cranking (and have the forearms to prove it LOL). I use an abu garcia revo S on a st croix 7 foot M rod and was curious if anyone uses an extended handle on their reel for deep cranking or if something such as this would be a good idea. I'm really just looking at trying to cut back on feeling the burn, if I wanted a work out i would go to the gym ;-).

Thanks!!
Old 12-19-08, 12:24 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't do a lot of deep cranking, but I've heard the long handles help. I'm sure some of the other guys will be able to tell ya for sure.

BB
Old 12-19-08, 05:10 PM   #3
zooker

please define DEEP CRANKING for me. as some might find 8 feet to be DEEP. or like me 20 feet is deep..

i belive the revo s is a high geared reel.. get a slower geared reel.. yeah the longer handle does help, but not if it is on a high speed reel. the abu winch is a 5.4:1 geared-still too high geared imo-

the low 5.1,4.7,or 3.8 are acceptable the 4.7 and 3.8 are a most have if you chunk the big boys.. norman d22,dt16,poes,lucky craft d-20...

the first 6 months i got into deep cranking my arms ached..but now they don't..and yes i have popeye forarms..

zooker
Old 12-19-08, 05:19 PM   #4
damian2b

Deep cranking for me would be 18+ or more. The gearing on my Revo S is 6.4:1. So it appears as though my gearing could be a bit too high for what I have been throwing. This is the second of two baitcasters I have ever owned so I am still a newbie. Also I believe for the Revo the only other option was even higher than 6.4.
Old 12-19-08, 06:23 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My deep cranking is 9-16 ft.The only way your going to hit 18 + ft for any length at all is to modify your cranks. I modified some poes for the deeper depths but never used them.

I forgot to say they will go deep when attached to my downrigger with the 10 lb weight at the bottom but I use stickbaits, spoons or flies for deep depth fishing. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 06:37 PM   #6
JB

I deep crank and love it, and have had tendonitius from it many times, the docs always say to take breaks during the day ..
As soon as you feel the burn its time to put it down for awhile, then resume.

I do this alot with the rogue in early spring..
That first outing after 15 minutes I am feeling the sting...so I put it down and switch to something else.
The next time or day later when I go back out I may try to last 15 minutes or go a extra 5 and then put it down...It really helps to condition your arm with out over straining them...I've had bursisitus from it to.. takes forever to get rid of..
By the time may or june rolls around you're able to stay out doing it for hours on end...sure ya still feel it a tad, but its nothing like it could be if ya just went out for the first time of the year and threw
a deep cranker all day and then that night can't even reach around
to whip yer arse...
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 06:41 PM   #7
damian2b

oh believe me, Ive been to that point!
Old 12-19-08, 08:28 PM   #8
zooker

yeah dawg you definatly need a low geared reel.it will save your arms alot in the long run..

pnj
i normally can hit
19-20 with a norman dd22
20-22 feet with a lucky craft d-20
19-20 feet with a bandit 700
16-17 feet with a bandit 600
15-16 feet with a dt-16
18-19 feet with a poes 400c
12-14 feet with a poes 300sp
10-11 feet with a norman deep lil n
13-14 feet with a lucky craft d-12
12-14 feet with a norman dd14
14-15 feet with a lucky craft d-14

these are out of the box unmodified depths..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 12-19-08 at 08:36 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 11:03 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I hardly crank deepers than 10ft, but I'd say deep cranking would be 16+ ft.

BB
Old 12-20-08, 12:30 AM   #10
Rebbasser

I think of deep cranking more in terms of the lure than the depth. A Norman Deep Little N or a DD-22 is a real workout with a high speed reel. I got a BPS David Fritts crankbait reel-4.7:1 gear ratio-and wouldn't throw one of those big, deep bruisers-especially a DD-22 or Series 5-on anything else. If you are going to be cranking a lot I highly would recommend getting one or at least a lower gear ratio reel. Throwing a DD-22 with this reel isn't any harder than cranking a Bandit 200.
Old 12-20-08, 07:02 AM   #11
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
yeah dawg you definatly need a low geared reel.it will save your arms alot in the long run..

pnj
i normally can hit
19-20 with a norman dd22
15-16 feet with a dt-16

zooker

Ok Zooker. The water temperatures are colder here , therefore the water is more dense here making the lures more bouyant, except when the temperature reaches about 4 celsius to 0 celsius. It begins to freeze at those temperatures and the water becomes lighter than the warmer water, ice floats.So it is very possible for the same crankbait to run deeper in your neck of the woods than here in mine.Probably not alot but who am I to know ?

I agree that the crank may be able to reach those depths but your strike zone is very short at those depths.You almost have to pinpoint fish a rock pile, stump or any other single peice of structure at those depths.

BTW here is the deepest running crankbait Ivan

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...RJEN-LJHL.html

Last edited by pig n jig; 12-20-08 at 07:26 AM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 11:26 AM   #12
damian2b

Thanks for all the info! I'm sure to get a few gift cards to bps for xmas so a new reel maybe in order. ;-)
Old 12-20-08, 11:27 AM   #13
damian2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Ok Zooker. The water temperatures are colder here , therefore the water is more dense here making the lures more bouyant, except when the temperature reaches about 4 celsius to 0 celsius. It begins to freeze at those temperatures and the water becomes lighter than the warmer water, ice floats.So it is very possible for the same crankbait to run deeper in your neck of the woods than here in mine.Probably not alot but who am I to know ?

I agree that the crank may be able to reach those depths but your strike zone is very short at those depths.You almost have to pinpoint fish a rock pile, stump or any other single peice of structure at those depths.

BTW here is the deepest running crankbait Ivan

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...RJEN-LJHL.html
btw the Luhr Jensen is my favortive deep diver.
Old 12-20-08, 12:16 PM   #14
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I deep crank all the time with either a Norman DD22 or a Rapala Dt-16 worked right on the bottom. Using a proper crankbait stick that has a parapolic bend and a reel geared 5.1 to 1 or less will greatly reduce the excess vibration and hence the wrist discomfort. Let the rod and reel do the work, your just the lever turning the handle.

If you're having wrist issues, get a wrist elastic bandage/wrap from your local drug store. The extra support will really help.
Old 12-20-08, 12:40 PM   #15
Tall

I am using 7' 6" rods with the Norman DD 22 and that has helped on my two revo reels. The longer pole held pointed at the water and the long handle helps but still a work out if you use it an extended period of time.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 06:19 PM   #16
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post

pnj
i normally can hit
19-20 with a norman dd22
15-16 feet with a dt-16

zooker
That is great information, zooker. Just wondering what # test line and type you used when figuring those results. The areas I fish seem to dictate not having to choose a line stonger than 10#. Knowing what you use might give me an idea to expect when using a lighter or heavier line to potentially adjust diving depth by changing line diameter versus adding weight or changing cranks.

Also, what would you say is the approximate casting distance and distance in the retrieve that the baits attain their max depth? It is so cold and I'm locked in that I am actually thinking plotting and extrapolating the figures you give to produce graphs. Sad day to think that this would be exciting.
Old 12-22-08, 08:22 PM   #17
zooker

ande 12 pound test mono which is roughly the same size as 10 pound stren.. 40-70 yards though alot tend to be targeted and 20-30 yard cast..

zooker
Old 12-24-08, 10:28 AM   #18
Joel

I use a simple method to keep my cranks on the bottom:

2-4 ft: DT-6 Spinning setup spooled with 10 lb braid 8lb mono leader
5-8 ft: DT-10 Baitcaster spooled with 30 lb braid 12 lb mono leader
9-12 ft: D-16 same as above
13-16 ft: DD-22 same as above

Deeper then 16 ft I usually use a C-Rig.
Old 12-27-08, 07:33 PM   #19
fishin' fool

Definatley get a slower reel, a 5:1:1 or even slower, that will cut down on alot of drag. Another thing I've learned is to point your rod and rod tip low, but words your lure. If you keep your rod straight with your lure and not have your rod and line a 90 degree angle, your reel will take all of the drag, and not your rod and foreams! Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-08, 08:16 PM   #20
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
Definatley get a slower reel, a 5:1:1 or even slower, that will cut down on alot of drag. Another thing I've learned is to point your rod and rod tip low, but words your lure. If you keep your rod straight with your lure and not have your rod and line a 90 degree angle, your reel will take all of the drag, and not your rod and foreams! Good fishin'
I think the same thing can be said for any horizontal moving lure. I've never been very conscious of exactly the angle of my rod to my crankbait/spinnerbait/Trap/etc. But I'm willing to bet that I keep it at lower angle then I do when I'm pitching plastics or jigs. But I'm equally sure that I keep it high enough so that I can feel the lure action through the rod.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.