Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-26-08, 10:00 AM   #1
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Hard Swimbaits

Haven't taken the plunge into the hard swimbait world yet, but I'm really starting to weaken. There are plenty of waters that I fish in the NYC reservoir system where they can be used on top, over weeds, along a weed bed, over a submerged point, etc. The problem is that I'm not sure where to start.

1st off, I need to limit myself to no more then 6 setups. For the majority of the season, I carry 2 spinning finesse setups, one for Drop Shotting, and one for 1/4 oz bullet tex-posed 4 inch tubes, Hula Grubs, or Grubs. And 5 Bait caster setups. Dedicated Deep Crankbaits, Spinnerbaits, 3/8-1/2 oz bullet wt tex-posed creature baits, & jigs.

Could my spinnerbait setup comfortably handle 4-6 inch Hard Swimbaits. The setup I use is a 7 ft M 8-17 lb test line 1/4-3/4 oz lure with a fast tip. Coupled with a Daiwa TDA Advantage 153 HST spooled with 30 lb Sufix Braid and a 12 lb mono leader. My weighted plastic setup is identical except that the rod is a MH. The only setup I use a snap on is my craning setup. All others are tied on lures.

At this point I really don't want to invest in a 8ft speciality rod setup. Fishing out of any one of my rowboats is literally a excersize in compromise and space limitations. Especially since I almost always fish with my partner or have a guest/friend with me.
Old 12-26-08, 10:12 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Would at least need a medium heavy rod I would think. Those baits usually weigh more than their counterparts, and are designed to be "launched" by the rod.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 12:53 PM   #3
Raul

Your rod won´t cut it, there are very few 4 inch hard swimbaits that weight less than 3/4 oz, let alone say a 6 incher.

If you are going to take the plunge better get a swimbait rod, something that can handle a range weight from 1-5 oz for the most swimbaits in the 4-6 inch range, or something to handle more than 5 oz for the larger ones.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 04:17 PM   #4
pig n jig

I want a Sebile magic swimmer in the 125 series.They are 5" long and weigh 3/4 oz. Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 07:37 PM   #5
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Your rod won´t cut it, there are very few 4 inch hard swimbaits that weight less than 3/4 oz, let alone say a 6 incher.

If you are going to take the plunge better get a swimbait rod, something that can handle a range weight from 1-5 oz for the most swimbaits in the 4-6 inch range, or something to handle more than 5 oz for the larger ones.
Now that you mention the lure wt factor, I'll have to rethink my priorities. Like I said, I only fish with 6 setups max, and many of them are dedicated to one presentation, so the hard swimbaits would have to be able to use one of them. Only my slop setup for jigs using a H 7ft rod would mmet the min requirements, and I rarely bring that setup with me.

Doesn't look like hard swimbaits are in my immediate future plans.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.