Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-11-05, 04:32 PM   #1

Default river fishing

what is the best way to fish for largemouth bass and the best bait, etc. for dark water rivers?
Old 01-11-05, 05:00 PM   #2
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R
Default Re: river fishing

dark river as in "muddy" or dark as tea colored from decaying leaves tanic color i think its called ? the tea colored rivers i fish i catch fish with spinnerbaits and flipping a pumpkin creature bait or a moccasin color worm(only culprit makes that color that i know of and its hard to find).
Old 01-19-05, 12:20 AM   #3
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

Black Jig
C-Spinnerbait
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 12:29 AM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

For both muddy and stained waters, afishing a black/blue jig in current breaks works really well. If its stained water, I'd go with a tandem spinnerbait with a bit darker of a skirt. If its muddy, I'd go with a big single colorado with a black skirt. If its a small river or even a creek, junebug lizards and worms work really well when fished slowly on the bottom of deep holes.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 09:37 AM   #5
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

[ftp] http://www.bassfishin.com/cgi-bin/ya...num=1104463523 [/ftp]

Start by reading the post's here then ask more.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-05, 01:03 PM   #6
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Roadkill 4" Tube
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 02:14 AM   #7
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

A colorado blade spinnerbait,single blade, chartruese skirt. A Manns 4-minus crankbait in parrot color. A dark color creature bait
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 11:31 AM   #8
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Robzilla is right! The link covers a lot of territory regarding river bass'n.
LR is a river man and is right on regarding location. If you know the type of areas that hold bass, you'll have an idea of the lures you'll want to cast to a particular structure.

Be aware of current speed. This, as much as structure type, also determines lure types and size. If I'm working a flat on a straight-a-way, the flow is less than around a bend or in the narrows. The same for rifs and eddys. 2' of depth near the shore, adjacent to a wide flat, has slower water, and a nose hooked fluke or Fin S Fish is a great bait to flutter/jerk and slow drift. It also doesn't hang up in the rocks.

In fact, just about any slow bait works:
hard jerkbaits, floating minnows, shallow dive cranks, the spinnerbaits mentioned, Â*7" T-rigged worms (ribbon tain, curl tail), bettle spins, fat grubs (Hoo Daddy), short tubes, in-lines, 1/8 oz. jig and pig, creature baits (Brush Hog), 4" Senkos, 1/2 oz. Rat L Traps, poppers and Torpedos. If overhangs and in-flow streams are present, so much the better. Rocks are GOOD!

Close to the center of the river (depending on how shallow), faster flows require faster, high-resistance lures. Since you are usually quartering your casts upstream, the lure has to dig in for any kind of action to take place. Cranks that hit rocky bottoms would be my first choice, followed by heavier jigs and spinnerbaits with large #5 willow leaf blades. White, black and chartreuse skirts would be my choice for muddy wate.

Pools of slow-to-medium fast water can hold schools of fish and it's not unusual to catch more than a dozen in an hour. This relates more to smallies than LM, which are more solitary in shallow rivers, in my experience.

Tidal rivers are a whole different animal and require knowledge of the outgoing tide, channels and structure breaks that accumulate bass. Find a hole near the outflow of a creek and 30 LM are not uncommon!

I'm no expert, but the above was recalled from many good experiences from TX and rec fishing with and without outstanding river anglers. I haven't been skunked on a river in over 20 years.

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.