Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-16-05, 02:31 PM   #1
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default minor reel tune-up..this works

after i read that article about tuning up reels,i wanted to do that to all of mine.however,,,,,taking sandpaper to critical parts of the reel didn't sound like too good an idea to me simply because i don't have any experience doing that kind of stuff.
that said...i have found a simple way to improve the performance of all you bait casters.this doesn't require tearing your reels all the way down.it will noticably improve performance if you do it right.
all you need is a dremel(or similar)tool a polishing wheel and a container of dremel polishing compound.
after you disassemble your reel to lube it.simply polish as many surfaces that come in contact with other surface,such as shafts and bushings,brake plates(the small ones under some brake adj.knobs.
you can put a mirror finish on all these parts with the dremel polishing compound.
look on both sides of the reel where the brake adjustments are.usually on the cap end or the cover end,there will be a small plate that puts tension on the spool.polish these good.if you see any wear on these plates,simply polish the other side and use the good side of the plate.i've found in some reels(abu for one)have multiple plates.so you can just switch them around.
but make sure you polish them before you reassemble the reel.
use a high performance lube on all moving parts.(i prefer hot sauce).
just be sure to try winding your reel and in free spool take note of the performance BEFORE you do this.then compare it after you do the minor tune-up.you will see a difference.
for example i took and older shakespeare alpha xt that has maybe one bearing,the rest are bushings.on this one i did take 1000 grit sandpaper and smoothed the inside of the bushings.everything else i polished.you would swear this reel is a quality reel.instead of just a cheapo $25 reel.
hope this helps some of you that are leery of sandpapering your reels.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 08:39 PM   #2
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman
Default Re: minor reel tune-up..this works

Thanks Bassintom, it does help to know that you say this works. I'll give it a try when I get the chance.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 08:56 PM   #3
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Tom, I never understood how it took the guy hours with sandpaper to take .0005 of material away as he stated. I think the hot sauce product has been the best product I have bought to improve any reel without any modification on your part. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-05, 10:06 PM   #4
kentuckybasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to kentuckybasser

i think the easiest way to make a reel smoother is to take the factory grease out of the bearings, and drying, and then adding an oil like rocket fuel.
kentuckybasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-05, 01:39 PM   #5
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

I clean a ton of reels for guys each year. I like the idea of polishing the surface parts but I think it would take too long for me and likely I'd have to increase the price or a servicing. I have used Hot Sauce for 3 years and this stuff is awesome.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.