Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 03-27-08, 02:26 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Sonar/Fishfinders

I am in the process of selecting the final upgrades for my boat purchase. One issue where I am completely lost is sonar/fishfinders . . . the only thing that I know is that I will get one on the console and one up front by the trolling motor and that I will likely purchase a Lowrance Unit. Other than that, I just don't know . . . you see, I want to get relatively good stuff with the purchase since I will be financing via the boat purchase. I don't want to turn around later and try to buy these units out-of-pocket. Also, I won't be fishing deep water. Instead, I will be primarily fishing rivers and primarily small lakes. One guy suggested the Lowrance X67c or LMS 522. I am lost . . . please help . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 03:07 PM   #2
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lowrance is probably the more prominent company out there and imo they make a solid unit...however since johnson outdoors purchased the humminbird company the units have been getting better & better...I have a humminbird at the console and a lowrance up front..a word of advice..download a copy of the manual from there site and read it through..this is the site for lowrance models: http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/Manuals/
Old 03-27-08, 05:12 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i too have a lowrance up front and a h-bird at the console. my lowrance unit is an X135 and i really like it. one cool thing about lowrance is you can download a demo of your unit to your computer, them make adjustments and see how they will effect what you are seeing. then when you get it just right you can make the same adjustments to your actual unit. a great tool for when it is too cold and nasty to get on the lake.
Old 03-27-08, 05:19 PM   #4
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Lowrance are great units! If you want about the same quality but alittle less money, Go with eagle, which is owned by Lowrance. We have 2 eagles on our boat, like them alot!! Stay away from H bird! I've know 2 people with them and they gave them nothing but problems! Only H bird I would buy would the the side finder, sweet unit!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 05:46 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Just wait till lowrance unvails there new side finding units. There gonna blow floppybird right outta the water.
Old 03-31-08, 09:06 AM   #6
Nitro911

The only caution I would offer against the LMS 522 is the internal GPS antenna. I know it means one less hole in the hull, but if the antenna goes bad, you have to send the whole unit back to Lowrance instead of just the antenna. Just a thought.
Old 03-31-08, 01:25 PM   #7
jasonfish320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Just wait till lowrance unvails there new side finding units. There gonna blow floppybird right outta the water.
I just installed the 997c si unit on my boat and I can't believe the technology in this bad boy..it's unreal (and this is coming from someone in the computer biz) I've been reading a lot about the exclusivity of the side imaging and don't see lowrance coming out with anything soon...right now their answer to side imaging is a huge rocket looking thing that you drag behind your boat...The last humminbird I bought was about 5 years ago and yes..it sucked..but I would put the new models up against any of lowrances stuff....and the customer service from Humminbird is top notch..lightyears beyond the help you get from lowrance, as I've had to contact both..BTW, did you notice in the classic how many boats were using the humminbird SI units...just about all of 'em.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.