Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-07-08, 08:45 AM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default 15hp to 25hp

I have a 1982 Evinrude 15hp outboard. I read awhile ago(could be years lol) that many folks were changing some things on the engine to make it equivalent to a 25hp. Not sure if this is possible, and if so, where would I go to look up the required info. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Lizards
Old 04-07-08, 09:26 AM   #2
WTL

Its funny you mentioned this, I was reading the same thing last night.

The idea is that the only difference was the carb. So just chang ethe carb out and walla.

I've heard some say that it really doesn't work, and some say it does. If you really wanted to know what parts you need, the surefire way to do it would be to go on the evinrude site and download the parts catalog for the 1982 15 and the 1982 25 (or 20, I'm not sure if you can jump 10 hp). Compare things like the carb, intake, ect and take note of what is the same and what is different, and change along those lines.

Also I think Zook might have said a little on the phone about my 28 and it being basically a 30 with a different carb.
Old 04-07-08, 09:50 AM   #3
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've heard of something similar to this as well. We had a 2 barrel carb on our 4.3L I/O and somebody said that if we put a 4 barrel on it we would get about 20 more horse. I don't know the truth behind this, but some of the engine guys would have a better answer. I know that if increase the fuel and increase the air, you should have more power.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 04:08 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

I've heard the sme thing, although I don't believe you could gain that much more power by only changing a carb. I think you would still need to hone it out to get ten more horsepower.

Speaking on engines and horsepower, I have a small question...

Thanks to WTL, I got the idea to look on Craigslist to try to find a new motor for our 14' V-Hull. It is rated for only a 25 horse motor, but I think we found the perfect one. It is listed as a 1971 Johnson 35 horse, bored over .020, new carb, new throttle body, new exhaust, new paint, new lower unit, all new hoses/clamps, for only $1000. I know, I know.... It is 10 horsepower greater than rating, but I figure it can't do that much, can it? Sounds like a great deal also...

-Buzz

Last edited by Buzz Wing; 04-07-08 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Spelling error!
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 04:13 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Lizards, never heard this, but it sounds like it could be done.

Blunker, I think your main concern with a larger engine would be weight.

BB
Old 04-07-08, 04:25 PM   #6
Buzz Wing

Try it out on your boat, 144! She'd kick then!

-Buzz
Old 04-07-08, 04:38 PM   #7
WTL

Those old OMCs are heavy as hell. And 35 on that boat is too much. Plus its a very old motor, and 1000 for a motor that old aint cheap at all. Then comes into question whether its tiller or remote steering. OMCs that old don't have tilt tubes, so that makes rigging remote steering much more messy (been there, done that). If its tiller its gonna wear on your arm some. It is also illegal to overpower a boat, and while I am doing the same thing at least the engine looks small enough that I can probably plead ignorance.

What lizards is talking about specifically is that on that series of motors, the block was exactly the same for the 15, 20 and 25 supposedly, and they just had different carbs to alter the HP rating. So what you are doing is not modding an engine (like adding a 4 barral carb to something that never had one stock), but rather realizing that different stock engines only had that little difference and converting an engine from 1 stock design to another.

Last edited by WTL; 04-07-08 at 04:44 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 05:36 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Lizards
Ehere ya been bud or should I ask. Yes you can do it,no it isnt quite as simple as JUST changing out the carb. Same block,piston.intake etc..etc... DIFFERENT PORT timing. Yes you can cghange the carb to the larger 25 carb and as 90%of the time you will see a noticable difference. Will use some what more fuel.

BuzzWing
Michigan water Patrol or whoever rides shotgun on boaters wont look at it like it is only 10. This I PROMISE you. The price is WAY to damn high. The seller is smoking crack thinkin he gonna get that much for that motor. It is one of the better motors from that era but not that good.

To those interested
Those little motors will wake up with a little wrench turning if you have the patience and the time to fine tune them and the cost is very slight. 90% of the time......not always a simple carb change and some slight advancement of the timing.VERY slight and there will be a buig plus as to the weight you can carry at any given speed. Topend is NOT gonna change hardly at all. What I am saying is if you have a 25 that takes 1/3mile to top out with some fine tuning and a carb change will in fact top out now in 100yds. You havent changed lower units,props,or lower unit ratio's so unless the fine tuning you have done to your motor does in fact endup with the engine running a few rpms faster than it used to it just gets to topend quicker............Get the picture?
Old 04-08-08, 08:25 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Since you know the 'down-low' on most boat and engine options, Dirk, I have a question fer ye...

What motor would you reccommend for a 14' aluminum V-Hull? It needs to be under 25 HP, (unfortunately...), and be around $1,800 or less, preferably 4-Stroke.

-Buzz
Old 04-08-08, 08:37 PM   #10
WTL

I'm not Lazer,

and since you will have to go used your chances of finding exactly what you want are less...

25 horse 2 cycle short shaft would be what you want, or if you have to be legal whatever the plate on your boat says. 4 cycles are very heavy, they have some advantages but unless you are going to stay up at night worrying about pollution a 2 cycle will be faster and easier to find.

Most of those will be under 1,800 used. Keep an eye on craigslist and your local classifides and fish until you find what you want. You ahve the small motor its not like you gotta have a 25 to get on the water...take your time.
Old 04-08-08, 08:38 PM   #11
BigBassin144

a 20hp wouldn't be bad. If you were willing to spend about 500 more, you cna get a new one from Gander Mtn for $2300. We looked at them at the Columbus store, but they have them in the stor ein Toledo too.

BB
Old 04-08-08, 08:39 PM   #12
BigBassin144

hehehe... maybe you can trade 'em your gortex suit

BB
Old 04-08-08, 08:57 PM   #13
bamabassman

i agree with wtl. take your time at this motor thing. if murphy (law) does you like it has done me, you'll buy the first motor that comes along. and it won't be the one you really want, or it will be too high. wait till you find a REAL bargain.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 05:26 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

25hp motors to look for..............Susuki 3 cylinder first on the list. I know sounds like I dun lost my mind. Trust me there hasnt been a BETTER 25 made EVER or faster...........I also will add most people wont get rid of them cause they quite makin them. Next in line is of course the Merc 25 and then the OMC 25's. Stay 2 stroke like WTL said. He damn near quoted what I would have said.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.