Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-02-11, 09:07 AM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Outboard Not Running Right

HELP !! I dont have much experience ( ok none ) but my little tracker has a 25hp. Merc. It seems like it has no lowend power , it wont power load at all on my trailer it just dies. It also is hard as he$$ to start , once I get it started and take off she runs great. Shut it off and fish for 15 minutes , hard to start again , hit the throttle once it starts and it wants to die. If you jam the throttle down it will take off , but you cant ease it down or it will die. My boat shop cant get to it today , I have a club tourney next sunday , and me and my wife are having a baby tuesday. So , I am just going to try to figure it out myself i guess. I think it is some sort of lower end power problem , maybe just an adjustment ?? Help if you have any experience on this one...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 09:29 AM   #2
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cmorg- when go to take off try to pump the primer bulb and see if this helps - sounds like a fuel prob. Also check all your fuel lines for cracks or loose clamps. Make sure u have new fuel in the tank. If you have a key type choke try to push in the choke when it is running bad to see if it help.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 09:30 AM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

In my experience, it could be a lot of things. I would start with checking your fuel lines for cracks if it were me. The only reason I say that is because on my old boat, I experienced the same exact thing. With the cracked hose, everytime the motor would sit for a bit, it would loose prime.

But, again - it really could be a number of things.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 01:21 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Old fuel, water in the fuel...or even fouled plugs....could be any of those.
Old 04-02-11, 03:12 PM   #5
Bender

How long has it been doing this? Did it come on all at once or just progressively get worse?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 03:53 PM   #6
CMorg

Pretty much always has done this. The boat has new plugs and fuel is a month old. The guy at the boat shop says this motor is like new , and he is sure it is nothing.
Old 04-02-11, 07:51 PM   #7
champman

Thumbs up

Hey C, I dought if you have an engine problem,machanically speaking, but I would take a real hard look at your fuel delivery system. It sounds like you are losing your prime.My 175 Merc. had a similar problem and turned out to be the primer bulb. The check valve in it was allowing the fuel to drain back or get air at idle but would flow "ok" at full throttle. Drove me NUTS for days. I took it off one day and blew through it , from the engine side, and sure enough the air was coming out. At that time I replace all the lines on the motor, in for a penny, in for a pound.I would also check the tank pick up. It could have a small hole in it higher up and not getting fuel at idle but grabing it when the boat tilts back at take off. Mostly congrats to you and your better half on the new baby. After all that's more important anyway.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 09:13 PM   #8
bamabassman

check the plug wires cmorg.
Old 04-02-11, 10:51 PM   #9
CMorg

Great advice guys and thank you. I am glad I posted this. I will just go ahead and replace the bulb , they are cheap. I will also check the fuel lines and the plug wires. I plan on attacking this sometime in the next two weeks , as I have a two week vaction due to our new baby. Thank you Champman , I do appreciate the congrats. Having kids makes me nervous , all the things that can go wrong...am I the only one that worries about this stuff ??
Old 04-03-11, 12:12 AM   #10
champman

My wife and I raised two boys and now have three grandkids, two girls and a boy. We haven't stopped worrying for almost thrityfour years now. Wouldn't trade it for anything!
Old 04-03-11, 12:55 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Great advice guys and thank you. I am glad I posted this. I will just go ahead and replace the bulb , they are cheap. I will also check the fuel lines and the plug wires. I plan on attacking this sometime in the next two weeks , as I have a two week vaction due to our new baby. Thank you Champman , I do appreciate the congrats. Having kids makes me nervous , all the things that can go wrong...am I the only one that worries about this stuff ??
CMorg, man first of all I want to congratulate you on the new addition to the family that you will be welcoming home in a few days. Your life will be forever changed and I promise it's in a great way. Lake will turn 2 in September and he is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and I worry about him all the time. I know it's hard to do but try not to worry too much about the delivery. It's a very scary experience but just remember that although you are new to it, the doctors and nurses do it everyday and you guys are in great hands. Our delivery was eventful which isn't exactly what you want but it all ended up perfectly fine and although I had never been more scared in my life it was amazing to see how calm the nurses and doctors remained even when things got scary. They will have so many moniters on your wife and the baby that they will know exactly what is going on and they have several tricks up their sleve should there be any hiccups. We will keep you in our prayers and make the most out of the delivery because it is an experience that you will never forget. I have heard people say that a baby delivery is beautiful, and I say they are full of it...........it's disgusting lol. But it is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. Be prepared to be flooded with emotions all the time after you become a dad. I still get choked up when I think about the first few days Lake was here, and you will also find that things that never got to you before will be tugging at your heartstrings all the time. When I asked some other dads if that makes me a whimp they all said "nope, it makes you a dad". You will be a great dad buddy, just relax and try not to worry about things (as hard as it is).

As for the boat. I agree that it sounds like a fuel system issue (I am no boat mechanic). I had a similiar problem on the Optimax that was on my Ranger and it ended up being the primer bulb. My primer bulb had a check valve that went bad just like Champman. I took it off and was able to blow air through it from the engines side and then if I shook the primer bulb a little it would work fine. I replaced the bulb and all was fine after that.

Good luck on both counts!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 07:58 AM   #12
bamabassman

cmorg CONGRATS on the new fisher coming into the family pal!!! and no oyu are NOT the only one to worry all the time. although lisa and i don't have children, we have over 30 necieses and nephews and GRAND ones too. we worry about them ALL the time. some more than others, lol.
Old 04-04-11, 08:54 AM   #13
JESTERxHEAD
BassFishin.Com Member

yea like posted above...check.
1. primer bulb draining back not keeping fuel in the motor. which leads to number 3...
2. replace a section of fuel line after the filter to see any air bubbles going to the motor. even after it has ran and sat for 15min.
3. check for carb's leaking on the outside...when off they will draw air.

to me it sounds lean/air in fuel line.

spray bottle of oil/fuel mixture spray into carbs then start to see if it starts easier.

when it does run does it run better warm or cold?

What year is the motor? is it even 2 or 4 stroke?
JESTERxHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 12:00 PM   #14
CMorg

Its a 1999 2 stroke. It does this all the time , warm or cold. I can get it to fire and idle fine on the boat ramp. Prime the bulb , start it before I get it in the water while waiting in line. Shut it off after 5-10 seconds. Then in the water it dont want to start/idle for the rest of the fishing day. If its windy I have to troll away from the bank , then rip up trolling motor , try like h@& to get it started , if it starts "floor" it and im in good shape. I can then slow it down to a stop , leave the motor idleing , it will die on its own in about 30 seconds.
Old 04-04-11, 09:16 PM   #15
Lvitch

Sounds like fuel, possible bulb like said before. Also look at your trim. I'm assuming its carb, carb motors like to be level when starting / idling.

Be cautious of ethanol issues, it eats the inside of the fuel lines. An ethanol treatment should be considered manditory, and get the fuel lines changed to the new ethanol resistant style.
Old 04-04-11, 10:31 PM   #16
champman

Hey C, I don't know if your boat has an enrichner valve on it, but if it does that could be your problem. If you have a key push choke the enrichner should "click" when you push the key in allowing extra fuel into the carbs for an easier start, but if it sticks open it will flood the carbs. Easy enough to check, just pull the fuel line from enricherner to the carb, push in on the key, if fuel comes out until you release the key it is working.Be sure and prime the fuel lines first. If it looks like it is working "ok" give the key switch a shot of WD40 to be sure it isn't hanging up keeping the enrichner valve open. Keep us posted. We'll keep trying to figure this out. Good luck with 1/2 pint angler coming into world.
Old 04-05-11, 08:30 AM   #17
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It could be a choke issue, you might want to check and see if your choke is working correctly. It could be an issue with the line or the springs. Any mechanic should be able to quickly look at it and tell you if that's the problem. From your description of how the engine is reacting it definitely sounds like a fuel mix problem which could possibly be tracked back to your choke.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.