Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-04-11, 04:53 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Advice on "new" Fishfinder

I have a coworker that is offering me his "old" fish/depth finder after he just spent $10k on new electronics on his boat. I trust the guy since he has been very helpful with my boat and fishing in general. He offers to take me fishing with him a lot but I just haven't taken him up on it. I should since he just bought a new $40k boat and it is sweet. Anyways, back to the fishfinder.

It is a Lowrance LMS 320. It has a unit that will mount at the drivers seat equipped with a GPS unit (I'll have to buy a transducer for this unit). It also has a unit that will go at the front of the boat with a transducer that will mount to the trolling motor. It also has his memory card in it with all his favorite spots, waypoints, and tracks through "shallow" areas on many many lakes in Alabama (Smith, Guntersville, Lay, Martin, Jordan, and the Alabama River). He is selling it for $150. Is this a good deal? Is the unit fairly easy to use?

Basically, I'm getting 2 screens, a GPS antennae, 1 transducer, 1 memory card with personal fishing spots.

Side note: The guy is hired by some of the pros every year to aid them during their pretournament fishing when in Alabama. He is that good of a local boy. He knows a lot of the pro anglers on tour. He could have gone pro many years ago but he will tell you that he was scared at the time about raising his family as a pro angler. I say this because he says his waypoints and spots on the memory card are a lot of his personal "secret" spots. He was going to erase the card but won't if I buy it.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 05:53 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

naaaaaa.........let me buy it instead f&g. i'll give ya mine in return. KIDDING!!!!!

BUY IT!!! i have just upgraded myself. with the GPS, 2 units AND a map card..........JEEEZZZZZZZZ. all for a $150.00? you would be crazy NOT to get this in my opion. the other transduce you night be able to find on ebay, craigslist or bassboatcentral.com. they run around $75.00 bucks new but you might get lucky and get one cheaper. jsut make sure oyu have the manuals for them (units). if not. you can go online to lowrance.com and download them. copy em off and oyu'll have them at your ready.

you can talk to TODD DRISKELL on here. he is the lowrance rep for us. he can give oyu the low down on these units pal.

i am trying to find a map card for my "new" lms 240. got a 510c up front.

so YES! BUY THEM, sounds like a great deal to me.
Old 04-04-11, 07:57 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

I downloaded the manual already. It was 200 pages. I read about 50 pages of it already - mainly the setup and installation. It looks good and he kept it in great condition.
Old 04-05-11, 11:06 AM   #4
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yea thats a awesome deal bud.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 01:52 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

I figured it was a good deal. I have just never fished with a depth/fish finder so I had no clue as to the value of what was offered. I knew the guy was not trying to swindle me.

The last thing he offered me to buy was his last boat. It was a little less than a year old. He "wrecked" it. The engine was a 200 Mercury. I don't know the boat model. It was purchased brand new for $21,000. He sold it with trailer for $7,000. The boat needed only $1,200 in repair. The guy who bought it said it runs like new after the repair. I wish I had the cash then because I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat.
Old 04-06-11, 09:40 AM   #6
Todd Driscoll
BassFishin.Com Member

As others said, good deal for sure on the 320. Once you start using it, we are here to help with any operational questions.
Old 04-07-11, 09:07 AM   #7
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Todd, maybe you can explain something to me? How is it that there are guys who fish the circuit who aren't sponsored by Lowrance but end up getting INSANE deals on equipment. My past fishing partner who now fishing the New England circuit got two HDS units with the downscan/sidescan for a ridiculous price. (which I won't mention here because I think it would rub people the wrong way) He told me that these deals are only valid during a certain period of time and only on certain Lowrance models and only to a certain group of anglers. According to him, Humminbird doesn't do this, only Lowrance.
Old 04-07-11, 04:10 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Correction -
The unit that will go by the driver's seat - Lowrance LMS 320 with GPS and data card with personal known points, tracks, etc
The unit that will go by the trolling motor up front - Lowrance X96TX
One Transducer
Total price $150 to be paid mid next month. He is letting me try it out first.

I hope that the transducer I have will work on one of these units or else I will have to buy another transducer. I also have a temperature sensor that I hope works with one of these models as well. We shall see.

I have to rewire my setup after putting my new deck on the front.
Old 04-07-11, 10:03 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

post up soem pics of it pal. i for one think oyu are getting the best deal in the world. mine is set up the same way as yours will be. i just need a few of the things oyu already have,lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.