Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-13-11, 12:38 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Trout trip turns to Smallie trip (pic)!

Me and my dad went out to the Red river roday planing on catching some trout for dinner. How ever it didn't quite work out that way!

We started out trying to get to the river from the road to a spot I found the other week, just below the dam. But every time we got close, we were either stopped my a field of stinging nettles, or posted land.

We gave up and went home quick ran home, to look for some more spots at the DNR site. We found one spot in the red river down the road a little ways in a town called Red River.

We pulled of the road and found a spot we could get to river easy. We both put on spinners. We both were rigged with salmon eggs under a "strike indicator."

After a while and no fish. We both put spinners on. I put a #4 bucktail panther martin, gold blade, yellow/red spot body. My dad with rainbow trout color. My 3rd cast with the spinner I nail a little 12" smallie who have quite the display or acrobatics, and fought like mad though lol! My first decent (as in not 4 inches) smallie too!

We wade down stream a little ways and my dad catches a little rocks bass. I catch one shortly after and he catches another.

Down stream a little ways, we come to an AWESOME looking section of river full of downed trees and such. I make a perfect cast right between a log a rock and tree, I take a few cranks and WAM! I set the hook into a beautiful 16 incher. I pull it a little ways and it pulls some drag and almost get me tangled up in the tree, and get it out and back up a little so I don't loose it in the tree. I bring it over to my dad and he nets it for me! We snap a few pics and watch it swim on down. It may not have been to big, but WOW did it fight HARD. Better then any similar sized largemouth I caught, and even better then that hawg I caught yesterday!

I catch 2 more really, really small ones, and one around 13 inches. My dad still has nothing but a few rock bass. We start wadding back up stream and I catch another rock bass (which btw really look like mangrove snapper). My dad finally gets a smallie on a #6 silver balde, yellow/red spotted body panther martin. We're right close to car and I catch what seems to be the first trout of the day, and a pretty good one by the way it's fighting, but it's really to dark for either of us to tell for sure. I bring it close to my dad and he nets it for me. Turns out it was a little 20" pike, put a nice fight (but not as good as the 16" smallie). It flops out of my hand while I'm getting the hook out and bites the spinner off, and their it and the pike go lol! Not the worst way to end the day.

We come home and have some pike and catfish I filleted the day before for dinner.

Had a great day over all! Neither of us any trout, but I'll take smallies ANY day over them!

Here's that 16 incher!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-13-11 at 12:10 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 01:06 AM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That sounds and looks like an awesome trip! I bet wade fishing that river is a lot of fun and probably beautiful. Glad you guys caught some fish too.
Old 06-13-11, 01:43 AM   #3
islandbass

Great report, BB! It is always great to go fishing, but to go fishing with your dad makes it even better. That is a nice smallie too.
Old 06-13-11, 08:03 AM   #4
JB

"" Had a great day over all! Neither of us got sucked or got any trout, but I'll take smallies ANY day of them!

Here's that 16 incher! ""

lmao
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 08:12 AM   #5
rrw4258

That is a nice river smallie! We fish a river close to us as well, and there is nothing like putting on an old pair of shoes, swim trunks, and going to wade the river and catch some smallies on a hot day.

Ryan
Old 06-13-11, 10:17 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

Sounds like a great time with Dad ,Sammy...Nice fish too!
Old 06-13-11, 12:13 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks guys! The scenery was STUNNING, very untamed area of the river, I wish we had more time to wade it yesterday. looks super bassy too! And JB, not sure where you're quoting from!

We think we figured out why the gold/yellow spinners were working so well, and why the trout weren't bitting. Here's what my dad wrote on my facebook page:

Quote:
I figured out why the Rainbow Trout pattern was very much less productive there, where we were. It's really important to "match the hatch" at that particular water, excepting with the Rock Bass and Northerns, which are generally dumber fish. The Smallies spawned in April. Those fry and figerlings you saw were likely their offspring. The by far most productive Panther Martin inline spinnerbait color was a gold blade with a yellow and black body plus a brown hook adornment. Smallies are themselves an impressionistic bronze, but they, in fact, have gold, brown, black, and especially toward their bellies, yellow hues. Keeping in mind that adult Smallies see the passing lure as a quick impression and not in detail, I can't possibly think of a better pattern to match young Smallies. The lure, in sum, appears an impressionistic bronze. Yea, okay, they were being cannibals! Now, for all those crawdads we saw....
I know they females had spawned out, but I didn't the males would be off beds by now. Crawdads should start molting pretty soon too, so I'm thinking craw color crankbaits and tubes should start working pretty good soon too. Top water time is also prime mid/late summer!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-13-11 at 12:32 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 12:25 AM   #8
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

nice lookin' smallie!
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.