Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-11, 02:23 AM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Wednesday night tournament with the wife

Well last week was my first time fishing the Wednesday night tournament they have on a local lake. Fished it with a friend of mine and we won the thing and had a lot of fun fishing it. So I was trying to get the wife to say it was ok for me to fish it again but I got one of those loaded ok's, you know the one, the you can go but you're going to be in trouble when you get home kind of ok's. So I tried a little while longer and came up with an idea, why don't you come fish it with me? She wasn't real big on the idea at first until we ran into one of my friends at Cabela's who was also going to be fishing it. Once he started ribbing us about we should come out so he can take our money she was in. So I run home (she works at Cabela's and didn't get off until 4:30) to get the boat. I went to unhook the chargers from the batteries, they aren't on. My batteries got run down completely fishing the day before, this could be bad. When the garage door shut I guess it pulled the cord out of the wall. When I plugged it in they were still almost dead. I cranked the chargers up hoping to shoot some life into my batteries. Well they only got about 45 minutes but I hoped with the wind supposed to calm down I would be alright. Swung by and picked her up and headed to lake. We continued the ribbing with my friends at the boat ramp until it was time to draw. I let my wife draw because she actually has good luck at that kind of thing. She gets number 3 out of 10, good enough reason to have her along right there! This lake is extremely tough, lots of 14 1/2 inch fish but getting one to go over 15 is tough, and smallmouth have to be 18" so that's even harder. It's only 400 acres so not a lot of water to share with 10 boats plus anyone else fishing. The week before there was 8 boats, 5 fish brought in, and we one with 2 fish that weighed 3.64 and had big bass with a 2.08lb fish. It's tough to say the least.
We get to our first spot and put the trolling motor down, it's moving so slow it's hard to tell it's on. Great start to the night right there. So we are basically drifting with the wind and fishing. I catch a couple short fish and we run to the other end of the lake. My wife hooks up with what appears to be a keeper on a 6" worm and right when I grab the line it jumps and comes off! Dang the luck! Then the wind switches directions so now we're barely moving into the wind so I have to start the big motor and keep it running slowly as we cast and putt down the bank, not fun. We get to a small protected cove right by a point where I caught a 4lb smallmouth a couple weeks before. Right as we get there a boat across the lake roars over and starts fishing right in front of us! I could have hit their boat with a long cast. I was about to boil over but I didn't want to do it in front of my wife so I grabbed my buzzbait and cast it into a lane in the weeds and bingo! fish on! Swing it in with a little extra celebrating for our new neighbors to here and drop keeper number 1 in the livewell! Feels real good with the circumstances. Run back to where we started to fish the weedline again. I flipped my bait to the edge just as one of my friends runs by. I'm in the front of the boat dancing around being stupid so when I start fishing again and notice my line is moving steadily towards deeper water I'm caught a little off guard. I reel down and set and my line breaks instantly. As if that wasn't enough the dang thing jumped and was obviously a keeper! All the wind left my sails, 2 fish won last week, that should have been number 2! We keep going though and with 30 minutes left I was going to run back to the marina but stopped to fish a short stretch of weeds real quickly. Second cast with a buzzbait on the weedline it gets sucked under and I swing keeper number 2 in the boat! I was pumped and my wife was pretty excited too! I jump up and fire another cast down the weedline and a couple cranks in it gets boiled on again. I swing it in and put it on the board and it just touchs 15, keeper number 3! We jumped into the marina and caught a couple more shorts before weigh in. Well the guys that usually win it had 3 fish too and they almost always seem to have one decent fish so I'm thinking at least we should get second and our money back at least. 2 boats had 1 fish, 1 boat had 2 fish, and then the 2 of us had 3. We weighed in first and our 3 weighed a whopping 5 pounds even. The other boat bagged their fish and dropped them on the scales, 4.84! We won it! With no trolling motor and at least 2 fish that were probably keepers being lost we came away with the win! My wife was so excited she must have called everyone in her phone book on the way home to tell them. It was a really good time and a pretty neat experience to have her in the boat for it. Sorry no pictures, none of them were worth taking a picture of anyways!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 09:57 PM   #2
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Very cool story, good details. Congrats to you and your wife on the win -- that's awesome!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.