Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-25-07, 04:08 AM   #1
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default '77 Challenger Mark V

Hi all,

hope someone can help me.... I have just purchased a 1977 Challenger Mark V bass boat, and don't have an owners manual or know much about the boat. I have searched and searched for information on the boat online, have not had any luck.

Does anyone know this model? Does anyone know how I can get a owners manual?

Thanks,

Brook
bebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 07:29 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

think challenger was bilt by glastron -don't quote me-.. i have found that the 70's boats are looked as a little weird.. there not the fancy fined beast of the late 50's not the unquie -hash induced-boat designs in the 60's..they are 1 of 3 kinds the basic bath tub shape fishing boat-i have a 71 terry-.the "sportsman"design it looks like modern day ski boats. and the crusiers which were huge cabin over jobs..

now in the later part of the 70's boats got wider they started putting larger moters on them. they basicly incoperated the bath tub idea into a "sportsman" hull.

one thing you can be sure of is there are wooden stringers in that boat..with a wooden transome..the wiring will be gnarly -they soilder every thing back then..

i will see what i can dig up..

zooker
Old 06-26-07, 01:12 AM   #3
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks....

Thank you so much.... this is getting me a start and any further info you can help me find would be great.... in the end I would like to try to find an owners manual... just to have.

my boat is a good looking tri-V hull 18'.... i'm running a Merc 1500 which is giving me lots of power!

Brook
Old 06-26-07, 08:13 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebeard View Post
Thank you so much.... this is getting me a start and any further info you can help me find would be great.... in the end I would like to try to find an owners manual... just to have.

my boat is a good looking tri-V hull 18'.... i'm running a Merc 1500 which is giving me lots of power!

Brook
1500??? I'll bet that puppy flies!

Were I you I'd have a CERTIFIED boat mech inspect the hull, inside and out, for evidence of rot or other issues. The last thing you need is transom failure when under power. That motor, still running, may join you in the boat and that will render you all dead or alive but missing some essential body parts.
Zooker, despite having a six-pack for "breffus", has hit the spot when telling you of the wood used in virtually all boat from the era. Good job, Zookster!
We're serious here. Have her thoroughly inspected!

FR

FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 06:03 PM   #5
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it is made by Glastron this is an excellent site that you might be able to find a copy of the owners manual. These guys are more into the classic run abouts and other Glastrons but somebody might know something about your boat.

http://www.classicglastron.com/
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 06:26 PM   #6
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks... all

Yes Merc 1500... its 150hp ....

I got it up to about 46-47 the first run....

I"m just looking for more info and I thank you all

Brook
Old 06-26-07, 06:55 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

fly rod the the extra zero started back in the 50's belive it.. the chrome "stackers" were the first to be assigned the extra zero. i think it was 73 before they had bigger than a 150 horse moter made by anyone..

debeard
i can tell you that the moter in great shape probly actually put out some where in the 120 horse power range all moters prior to 1995 had the horse power rating takin off the fly wheel..not like new moters which have there rating takin off the prop shaft..
the extra zero also tells me they are the cast iron head moters-there is no down side to this-

i know of only one guy that has a 77 challenger mark IV he has a newer 100 horse on it give him a holler
his e-mail addy is in a pm to you..

zooker
Old 06-28-07, 06:43 PM   #8
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Challenger Mark V Pictures

Hi All,

Here are a couple of pictures of my boat that I have questions about...

Brook
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00263 - Small.jpg
Views:	3090
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1712  
Old 02-11-08, 11:46 PM   #9
onguard31717
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Chanllenger Mark IV

Good evening. Do you still have yoiur Challenger Mark IV Bass Boat? I have a 1974 Challenger Mark IV Bass Boat. My boat has the name of the manufacturer as Tennessee Valley Fiberglass Co, Inc.(TVF is/was located in Huntsville, Alabama). I think someone stated that your boat was made by some other company? I have been trying to find out more info concerning this boat, but I haven't been that successful. my boat looks just like yours in your picture, just a different color. I need to have the top "rim" of the boat re-painted or re-clear coated. The paint or clear coat is flaking.

Have you ever replaced your floor in the boat? Mine seems pretty solid, but the carpet need replacing.

Also, I tried registering the boat here in Georgia, but was told the hull number should be 12 digits, which mine is only7 digits. I was told by somebody else that when the government first started standardizing hull numbers back in the early 70's, Alabama was slow to follow the regulations, which probaby is creating the problem with not having a 12 digit hull number.

Please let me know what all you know about the boat and what kind of work you have done to yours.

Thanks,

George
onguard31717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 06:53 AM   #10
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

And I wanna add that the owner and now deceased use to be Buster Dobbs. At one time just before his untimely death he was building entry level boats that would run very well and at a price that I could not beleive even back in those days.
I FIRMLY beleive if you are not a confident mechanic and boat wise you need to enlist some help from someone who has like FLY and ZOOK have pointed out. Trust me you are talkin to someone that has had a motor come off at 65mph. ITS NOT PRETTY and it HURTS. I am very happy to be alive after that mishap and rthe thing was I DID NOT hit anything.
The inline's were torque monsters I know I still have one hanging in the garage. Zook is right on all accounts of the ratings systems.
Old 02-13-08, 07:18 PM   #11
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
If it is made by Glastron this is an excellent site that you might be able to find a copy of the owners manual. These guys are more into the classic run abouts and other Glastrons but somebody might know something about your boat.

http://www.classicglastron.com/
Not to get away from the main post but this is some good reading and brings back memories.Thanks
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.