Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 05-12-08, 02:43 PM   #1
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Nonpoint
Default Comparing boats...

I'm hoping to be in a spot to finance my first boat, but I'm having trouble picking out the best fit and price.

I've been looking at the Tracker Targa 185 Sport...since I figure it would be a good platform for fishing and tubing/swimming/cruising with kids. I did want a nice sleek bass boat, but I need something more multi-role. I priced the Targa out at about 29K with a 115 merc 4 stroke and 9.9 merc prokicker with installation, power trim, key start, steering linkage, and second throttle in cockpit. All Tracker prices include a trailer also.

Has anyone looked around at comparable setups like this? All I can find on other boat manufacturer sites are dealer locators...they dont seem to have any MSRP prices listed or anything. I don't really care about what brand of boat I get as long as its safe and reliable along with a good set of options and a kicker motor(some of my lakes have a 10hp limit).

Any information you guys have would be great. No, I'm not trying to be like the kid that was always talking about how much money he spends on tackle, reels, and rods. This is my first new boat purchase and I want to make sure I get the most for my money and figure theres lots of boat buying experience on these boards.

Thanks
Nonpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 02:51 PM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonpoint View Post
Any information you guys have would be great. No, I'm not trying to be like the kid that was always talking about how much money he spends on tackle, reels, and rods. This is my first new boat purchase and I want to make sure I get the most for my money and figure theres lots of boat buying experience on these boards.

Thanks
Don't worry we wont pounce unless you post next week on how you now need a boat for sunday, since you got your saturday boat lined out now.

I'm fairly new here myself but welcome. Someone should offer some help shortly.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 02:52 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Boats depreciate more than about anything in the world. If you are looking at having to finance, meaning you can't spare the cash up front, I would sorta recomend going used to get a boat that has already done most of its heavy depreciation. A 2008 Tracker floats just the same as a 1999 Tracker.

If you have to have a new boat I do wish you the best of luck. When someone doesn't list the MSRP in an easy to find manner, that usually indicates they are expensive and they know it.
Old 05-12-08, 03:00 PM   #4
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

I would really like to be able to go with a used boat....but after getting screwed on the one I bought and talking to a few other people who had some good and some bad experiences buying used....I feel that I can justify the overhead of a brand new boat to know that I maintained it to the utmost of my ability and know that I took care of all preventative maintenance items along with addressing any issue I see instantly instead of hoping it doesnt get worse and sitting on it.

(I ended up with a lower unit that blew up after 2 hours because it was rebuilt by a mechanic that didnt shim it correctly and took on about 2 inches of water every 45 minutes until I ended up sealing every rivet under the boat myself, yes it was my first boat, no I didnt know what I was doing, live and learn :P )
Old 05-12-08, 04:38 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I had a similar experience with my first boat..live & learn..but I would also recommend a used boat..keep in mind that the new rides have as many problems as the older ones, sometimes even more. A guy I fish with a lot bought a new boat this spring it has been in the shop for 2 months now and he might not be able to get it back til late July...I don't know for sure, but I think that dealers focus their attention on work that gets them cash, instead of dealing with warranties that take weeks to re-coup...

My recommendation for your next boat:

1) Ask a ton of questions
2) Have the owner take you out in it for a test drive--if he's hesitant I wouldn't purchase
3) Inspect the boat thoroughly..don't forget..trailer/tires/lights so forth

I have been through 4 of my own boats and my first was a nightmare, my 2nd had small problems, but cheap to fix..my last two boats have been AWESOME! My last boat (photo in my avatar), which I sorta miss was a 1989 tracker and I ran it almost everyday without a hitch, I see a lot of the newer technology having more & more issues. Either way, good luck with your boat hunting
Old 05-12-08, 05:20 PM   #6
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

A friend of mine brought up a few good points...that Targa I'm looking at only has a 12v trolling harness and a 2bank battery setup, it comes with a 55lb troller.

He said that a 55lb troller in a good wind might not do so well with that boat. Anyone have experience with a deep-v 18 footer with a windshield and trolling motors? He figured that I'd drain the battery fast trying to keep it where I wanted in any wind over 10 mph with only a 55lb troller.

I also like the all welded design of the hull...never needing to worry about a rivet is nice.
Old 05-12-08, 05:20 PM   #7
bamabassman

this is just my opion now. some folks will disagree with me, and that is fine. i agree with jason on his 3 points. and if i was wanting an aluminium boat, i would NOT get a tracker. or any rivet boat. get a welded aluminium boat. aircraft gauge alum at that. thicker and can be re welded if a crack happens. you can buy the "boat" new and get a rebuilt motor to put it on. and rig it out the way that fits your needs. then you have your own special boat and you know what to do, and what not to do with it. good luck.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 05:22 PM   #8
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

From what I've seen at the BPS Tracker shop they're all welded...they also have this on their site:

http://www.trackerboats.com/about/qu...nstruction.cfm
Old 05-12-08, 05:27 PM   #9
bamabassman

my brother-in-law has a ALUMINWELD brand. 18 footer and about 5 foot bottom at the back of it. uses a 35 johnson tiller motor on it. had it over 15 years and never a crack. goes out to the capped off oil platforms in the gulf of mexico, from mobile al. 6 foot swells and all (yea i think he's crazy, and no i have NEVER been and never will, lmao).
Old 05-12-08, 05:56 PM   #10
Nonpoint
BassFishin.Com Member

LOL wow man that must be quite a ride...its gotta be really freaky to sit all the way back with the motor when the bow is goin up one of those 6 footers...
Old 05-12-08, 08:32 PM   #11
bamabassman

i wouldn't know, hahahahahahaha. never going out there. he told of a time he tied off and climed onto a platform to fish. well.........looked down and his boat was drifting away. without thinking he jumped in and started to swim towards it. now bear in mind, he had chum out. so when he realized that he sais to hisself with every stroke....SHARK,SHARK,SHARK. hahaha, he said he never thought he was gonna get to the boat. but made it in like a minute flat, hahahahaha. now there's another reason i'll NEVER go out there, hahahahahaha. i have seen jaws i,2 and 3. seen orka, moby dick and all those sea movies. NEVER GONNA GO OUT HTERE MAN!!! NEVER!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-08, 08:34 PM   #12
bamabassman

oh.... one more thing about that story. he was 35 miles off shore too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.