Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-07-08, 11:25 AM   #1
brendon_green
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to brendon_green
Default Rod and Reels

hi whats up everyone. Just got 2 questions for everyone and ill take any advice you"ve got. What is the best baitcaster reel out right now? what it the best baitcaster rod? i want something that has a lot of durablility and control. finally whats some good line to put on the reel because im sick of having line snap when i have a good size fish? thanks
brendon_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 12:48 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sorry Brendon, but your probably not going to get THAT one answer you are looking for as it is way too vague. The best casting combo depends on what your using it for. Freshwater or salt, shallow water techniques with lots of brush or more open water? Bass or musky, Top water lures or deep water carolina rigs? There are too many variables to pick just one, and there are so many companies making quality gear that everyone has their favorites and you'll find no clear consensus in opinions. Some guys like graphite rods for everything. Some prefer fiberglass rods for crankbaits. Also, how much do you want to spend? To get the "best", your going to have to spend a good deal of cash. However, you can get an excellent rod reel combo without breaking the bank. One combo I absolutely love and use regularly is the Garcia Revo S paired up with a Bass Pro Shops ProQualifier rod in 6-1/2 foot length in medium heavy action. Paired up with 14 pound quality mono or flourocarbon line, you can use that combo for many uses. As for line brands that's also arguable and everyone in here has their favorites again. I like Trilene lines, especially the 100% flourocarbon, Trilene Max and XL lines. Some folks here hate Trilene lines, so take the opinions for what they are worth. Opinions. In some heavy cover situations, braid can be a better choice, and I like Power Pro. I also like the Silver Thread lines made by Bagley. But there are several good brands of fishing line and everyone of those brands has their fans. Hope that helps.

Last edited by keithdog; 06-07-08 at 12:58 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 01:26 PM   #3
brendon_green
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to brendon_green

yeah im looking for a freshwater bass baitcaster
brendon_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 04:45 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

okay man you've kinda opened a bag of worms on this one . personally you can go and spend 700 to 800 on a rod and reel but i don't think it is needed . i use a abu garcia
ambassaduer on a 6'6" lightning rod and a pinnacle lp100 on a berkley cherrywood rod .
they both work fine imho .
Old 06-07-08, 06:44 PM   #5
zooker

them pinnacles are a cheap but sweet reel that will chunk a light bait a good ways..bass pro extreme reels are some good bang for your buck. sure there is some high stuff out there but some wont stand the abuse very well. i beat my gear..team diawa, quantums,extreme reels all get there share of mistreatment from me.

the ugly stick is a tough as nails rod if ever they made one. i fish with fenwick and american rodsmith rods myself..

as for line since your just starting use mono.it's cheaper to learn with than $20 a spool braid or finicky florocarbon. i use 12 pound ande mono and 30 pound calcutta ultra braid..

zooker
Old 06-08-08, 04:02 AM   #6
islandbass

Since you asked and didn't give a budget, I imagine either of these two reels would do the job.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdcvslight.html
Old 06-08-08, 08:40 PM   #7
bamabassman

i agree with everyone about you are too vague. but opions vary here. you best bet is to go out there and buy a combo that you feel is right for you. me.. i like ligthing rods and abu garcias. also cherrywood rods. there are lots of rod and reel combo out there for each lure and presentation. so get ready for the bait monkey, then the boat monkey, and last but not the least ...the newest member out there...the rv gorilla. he has gotten me now. read the newest post from me coming soon.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 02:34 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

yea dude, run around here and look at all the various post about specific techniques, baits used, conditions, and all that. this topic comes up all the time so feel free to post up again when you've settled on some choices. then we'll be more than happy to give our opinions. (for whatever they are worth) it's also very likely that whatever reel/rod you ask about someone here is using or has tried.

we have all made or NOT made purchases by what we get from the info here.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 11:14 PM   #9
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote=bamabassman;191381]i agree with everyone about you are too vague. but opions vary here. you best bet is to go out there and buy a combo that you feel is right for you. me.. i like ligthing rods and abu garcias.

I AGREE 100% WITH YOU ON THAT BAMA I LOVE THESE COMBOS
Attached Images

BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 12:16 PM   #10
bassnman30

Check out some of the BPS reels as well as a good graphite rod, $60-$100 bucks. You should be able to spend around $150 bucks. You'll have a good combo that will be able to take some abuse. Stren makes a quality mono. 12 lb test is all that you should need. (granted this is in my opinion)
Old 06-16-08, 02:33 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Anything made my Daiwa or Abu Garcia.

BB
Old 06-17-08, 12:11 AM   #12
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i like pflueger my purist is awesome but the line guide is startin to lock up on me and i dont kno why. i oiled it and that works for a few hours then it starts doin it again. can somebody help me
Old 06-17-08, 02:58 PM   #13
Jim80

look at the pin that goes into the guide it could have a bur on it
Old 06-17-08, 06:30 PM   #14
crab
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Shimmano curado or citica and a shimano clarus rod. 14 lb berkley xl green.
Old 06-21-08, 12:24 AM   #15
Rebbasser

Quote:
i beat my gear..team diawa, quantums,extreme reels all get there share of mistreatment from me.
Ditto.

"Best" is a relative term. What is best for me is not neccessarily best for you. My advice is to go someplace that sells rods/reels and handle a few. Find out what feels right to you. I usually know the instant I pick one up if I will like it or not.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.