Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-12-11, 05:18 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Boats and ice

How thick of ice can you take a boat on? (Having to break the ice maybe) We have an alum. boat.

The wife and I want to go fishing Sunday, and same of the lakes still have ice on them, so that's why I'm asking. (guess I should had said IF we have ice, won't know till we get there)

Last edited by bassfisher; 02-12-11 at 06:41 PM.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 05:58 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Not sure...but have you seen Titanic?
Old 02-12-11, 06:07 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
Not sure...but have you seen Titanic?
LOL great response.

I did break ice one time in my Ranger, it was very very thin ice (just a very light skim on top) and I was very uneasy doing it. Had I not made quite a drive to the lake I would have just turned around and went home. It didn't do any harm to the boat at all though and I did catch an 8lber that day so all ended well. My advice is to just wait for the ice to melt, it's not worth tearing something up over or possibly getting one of you guys hurt.
Old 02-12-11, 06:09 PM   #4
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
LOL great response.

I did break ice one time in my Ranger, it was very very thin ice (just a very light skim on top) and I was very uneasy doing it. Had I not made quite a drive to the lake I would have just turned around and went home. It didn't do any harm to the boat at all though and I did catch an 8lber that day so all ended well. My advice is to just wait for the ice to melt, it's not worth tearing something up over or possibly getting one of you guys hurt.
Sound advice here. I've broken plenty of ice with my duck boat (dangerous) and there's no way I'd take my bass boat after seeing the scratches.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 06:29 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Gosh.....it would be stupid to build a bass boat out of Aluminum, eh?
Old 02-12-11, 06:32 PM   #6
bassfisher

A bubby said to break it with my push pole, so we might try that. (If we have ice.) Plus it's our old 94 boat, which is banged up already. Promise we'll be VERY CAREFUL. (We don't want to go swimming just yet)
Old 02-12-11, 07:44 PM   #7
bamabassman

bryce, i knew a fella in south bama when we lived there. he welded up the ol flatbottom i had once upon a time. he had a CAD design of a bass boat............ALUMINUM BASS BOAT. it was freaking awesum. aircrafter grade aluminum and everything. you could change the storage bins any way oyu wanted them. he designed it, and wanted to build one so bad but hadn't found anyone willing to buy it. IF i had the money at the time (or now even) i MIGHT consider it. now mind oyu this is in south bama, coastal area. lot of salt water ya know. it would last a lifetime man. think about it. this fella made rigs for the marine polics, coast guard and such.
now i agree with you on the thing aobut having one up in fresh water, but in salt water.......it would be great. it was a little heavier than a glass rig, but only by about 200 pounds he said. rated for 2 300 hp motors. now think aobut THAT. can we say burning up the water? hahaha.

oh yeah, price 15-17 yrs ago..............$40,000.00 without motors or ANY electrical. bet it is close to $100 grand now, lol.
Old 02-12-11, 07:50 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
A bubby said to break it with my push pole, so we might try that. (If we have ice.) Plus it's our old 94 boat, which is banged up already. Promise we'll be VERY CAREFUL. (We don't want to go swimming just yet)
Another solution is just to hope that here isn't any ice lol. Have fun and be careful if you go.
Old 02-12-11, 08:08 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bryce, i knew a fella in south bama when we lived there. he welded up the ol flatbottom i had once upon a time. he had a CAD design of a bass boat............ALUMINUM BASS BOAT. it was freaking awesum. aircrafter grade aluminum and everything. you could change the storage bins any way oyu wanted them. he designed it, and wanted to build one so bad but hadn't found anyone willing to buy it. IF i had the money at the time (or now even) i MIGHT consider it. now mind oyu this is in south bama, coastal area. lot of salt water ya know. it would last a lifetime man. think about it. this fella made rigs for the marine polics, coast guard and such.
now i agree with you on the thing aobut having one up in fresh water, but in salt water.......it would be great. it was a little heavier than a glass rig, but only by about 200 pounds he said. rated for 2 300 hp motors. now think aobut THAT. can we say burning up the water? hahaha.

oh yeah, price 15-17 yrs ago..............$40,000.00 without motors or ANY electrical. bet it is close to $100 grand now, lol.
That is awesome, Bama. The reason that appeals to me is, any guy who has good welding skills could build that in his garage, assuming it's a good design. Building a fiberglass boat takes special equipment. I would love to have a custom 21' aluminum bass boat. I wish mine was bigger than 18' 2".

An aluminum rig really ought to be lighter than glass, as the material is stronger (so it can be much thinner).

Oh well, off my aluminum soap box for the night haha.
Old 02-13-11, 12:30 PM   #10
bamabassman

no problem bryce. i thought it was totatly awesum too man. but the cost may not be effective for our general use off the coast ya know? now if you were say.....one who fishes coastal shore lines as well as freshwater, then oyu would have a need for such a rig. BUT most salt/freshwater fishermen want and need a rig for deep salt water so again, not cost effective. but the concept is a good one.
yes, if i was a good welder, had the material, i might build one myself. but alais, i ain't got none of the above, lol.
Old 02-13-11, 12:54 PM   #11
screwballl

If it in only 1-3" then shouldn't be a problem, just take it very slow. Be sure to inspect for damage once you get out.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:27 PM   #12
bassfisher

Well we did not go, the wind was to much 15-25 W/gust to 40mph. The 15-25 would had been bad enough, but the 40mph wouldn't be any fun at all in the deep V Magna. So we took a Sunday drive looking at a few new ponds we might fish for trout on, that just got stocked. (the wife caught 4 Saturday from the bank while I was at work ) Plus we drive by the lake we thought about fishing, and it was hit and miss with ice, so I'm glad we did not go.
BTW, thanks for the information that was given. It'll come in handy next winter.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.