Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 08-21-10, 11:10 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Listing...

or leaning... Looking at it from the front, my boat seems to sit funny in the water with the drivers side a bit lower than the other side. My gas tank is internal center and the two batteries are on that side in the rear, but it's like the boat is heavier on that side...I've even tried stowing the anchor on the opposite side up front and she still leans slightly the other way.
Any ideas?
Old 08-21-10, 11:45 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mine does the same thing when i start out with the motor abbey........1fastlaser said at one time it may have something to do with how it is set up (outboard). i dunno for real. i htink that seeing how mine (cajun) is a '97 model, it might be waterlogged on one side. meaning the floatation stuff inside the hull is full of water from time. only way i know how to fix that is taking it to a boat shop and having it opened up and redone. which i want to do someday.
now this may not be the case in oyur boat. if you find out something different, please let me know ok? if i find out something other what i think my problem is i will do the same for you.
Old 08-22-10, 07:18 PM   #3
Abbeysdad

Bummer...I wouldn't think the foam stuff they use could hold water and any water that does get in there should just flow to the bilge....right? I wonder if there's a way to get in there and see if it's trapped water/moisture?.... or a way to open things up enough to dry things out.
Old 08-22-10, 11:08 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Bummer...I wouldn't think the foam stuff they use could hold water and any water that does get in there should just flow to the bilge....right? I wonder if there's a way to get in there and see if it's trapped water/moisture?.... or a way to open things up enough to dry things out.
NO. Water that makes it into the floatation foam will not escape to the bilge, and the foam can and will soak up this water and add weight which will not only change the stability of the boat but can compromise the integrity of the structure as well. However as long as there has never been any damage to the hull there shouldn't be any water that makes its way to the foam. The reason your boat is leaning to one side or another is weight related, I would bet the farm on it. You might think that you have the weight split even between sides but I am betting that there is something that is adding weight to one side, maybe even something in the design of the boat that you aren't aware of.
Old 08-22-10, 11:17 PM   #5
bamabassman

thanks kory. i think my problem is with the mounting of the motor. one day i am gonna get it looked at REAL good.
Old 08-23-10, 02:01 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
thanks kory. i think my problem is with the mounting of the motor. one day i am gonna get it looked at REAL good.
John,
Since the motor is mounted in the center of the boat (centered as far as starboard and port is concerned) I don't see how that could be causing the boat to list or lean one way or another. Let me ask you this, does it list the same whether the fuel tank is full or empty? I ask this because I am wondering if it isn't the fuel tank causing it. Could also be all the big fish on Lisa's side of the livewell causing it, if that's the case see if you could borrow a few of her fish to put in your side and see if that doesn't level it out
Old 08-23-10, 11:00 AM   #7
Abbeysdad

Carolina - I'm second owner but it's never had any hull damage that I know of or can see - if so, it was a perfect repair. The internal gas tank fills on the starboard side, but I believe it is centered in the boat (looking at the sending unit access in dead center of the boat and poly tank).
Both batteries are on the starboard side rear, live well on the port side rear. I'm seeing it list with the boat empty of occupants and live well empty. So batteries, steering, dash and such would put some more weight on the starboard side, but no more or less than any boat.
Like I said, stowing the anchor on the port side front or rear made no difference (would compensate for one battery). Oh and the bow mount TM is stowed on the port side which should further aid in the balance.

Now the listing doesn't 'seem' to be an issue when running with or without passengers, it comes up on plane fine and seems to handle fine. The only other thing I've noticed is that when I stop, the bow feels a bit low in the water...but maybe that's just the perception as the bow will allows be higher when up on plane.
It was a little dicey the other say in rough water, heading into the wind as I had to stop to stow the anchor and took a good drink of water over the bow!

Maybe I'm just obsessing over a slight imbalance - it just doesn't look right (other boats I see docked at the launch and in the marina appear level) and I don't want to just accept it if it could/should be fixed...well assuming it can be fixed w/o taking an arm and a leg.

Footnote: Like bama, my wife has one upped me in the catin department - at least fer size - but between us fellas, I'm thinkin it may be better that way

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 08-23-10 at 11:06 AM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 03:44 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

Thinking on this more and more, I wonder if the two batteries in the starboard rear could be causing the list - if so, it would be a slight design flaw?
Thoughts?
Old 08-23-10, 04:21 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Thinking on this more and more, I wonder if the two batteries in the starboard rear could be causing the list - if so, it would be a slight design flaw?
Thoughts?
This could be part of it. How big is your boat? How big is the trolling motor (12V, 24V, or 36V)? If it is a fairly short boat and only has a 12V trolling motor and you are telling me that 2 batteries are on the starboard side then that means that there aren't any batteries on the port side to counter this weight and being a shorter boat it wouldn't take as much weight to cause it to list as it would if it were a longer more stable boat. Generally speaking the shorter the boat, the more touchy they can be stability wise from weight placement. This may just be the nature of the beast and you may have to deal with it to an extent. But even if this is the case there should still be ways to help it. I would see if you could mount a battery tray on the port side and see if it helps when you move a battery to that side, if it helps but doesn't get rid of the problem see if you can move the other one over to that side. I have no clue what the engine compartment looks like in your boat but I would assume that it is possible to make these changes.
Old 08-23-10, 05:36 PM   #10
bamabassman

kory, first of all...I NEVER CATCH ANY REMEMBER? THEY ARE ALL LISA'S FISH!! BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

but for real, it leans to the driver side wheather the right side tank is empty or full. i have duel tanks and run the right side out first. laser said it was probably the way the motor is mounted, i really don't know. but it does this even if there is 2 people ont eh left side sitting beside me. when i get planed out it levels up real nicely. only when i start out is it leaning. and no i haven't gained that much weight either. lmao.
Old 08-23-10, 05:56 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

Carolina - Thanks. My boat is a 17' 2002 Glastron SX170 SF. The bow mount TM is a 12v and I replaced the lame TM battery I got with it with a wmart everstart bigmax - pretty big marine battery. With some wire splicing and a new tray, I could mount the TM battery on the other side to balance the two, but short term, I think I'll stow the anchor and some other gear in the port rear to see if I can balance it that way. filling the live well would also make a difference at 8lbs ~ per gallon - it looks like 5 gals or so.

've done some googling and it seems this listing issue is a more common problem than we might think. Some is weight distribution while some is water saturation...and a lot remains a mystery and/or some questions of poor fiberglass manufacturing.
Old 08-23-10, 05:58 PM   #12
Abbeysdad

C'mon Bama....it's just too much lead in the drivers seat
Old 08-23-10, 06:01 PM   #13
bamabassman

hahaha, yeah....
Old 08-23-10, 09:12 PM   #14
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
John,
Could also be all the big fish on Lisa's side of the livewell causing it, if that's the case see if you could borrow a few of her fish to put in your side and see if that doesn't level it out
On the Rajun Cajun, yep this is the case!!!!!
Old 09-07-10, 10:03 AM   #15
Abbeysdad

I thought I'd come back to wrap this thread up some...
First, on several hot days, I opened things up and uncovered so she got good and dry.
Considering the imbalance of the two batteries on the starboard side, I put the anchor and gear on the port side rear and with the livewell full (approx. 5 gals), the list at the dock is gone. I suppose I could relocate one battery to the port side, but I think better weight management in the rear is easier (ain't it always the case!)
Old 09-07-10, 03:06 PM   #16
bamabassman

i tried that too abbey.....but it don't work on mine. i really think mine is from the foam inside of it. i have raised it and opened it up let it dry for weeks (since i couldn't go fishing) but it didn't help. i am bout to give up and say "live with it". haha! glad you got yours figured out.
Old 09-07-10, 10:28 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

Sorry bama - did she have hull damage?
Old 09-07-10, 10:45 PM   #18
bamabassman

very little from what i can tell. now it is starting on the front though. gonna have ot do some work this winter i think. but it is ok. no leaks............yet. lol.
Old 09-10-10, 01:29 PM   #19
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey guys, I did a thread about making a older boat new. I found that I also have some water that I can't get to. Upon removing the old carpet, I saw that I have some tiny pin holes in the floor. When the floor gets wet from getting in and out or rain gets on the floor, I always try to cover my boat but have got caught in rain many times, it will seap into the holes and build up. After I get the water out and dry it out, I'm going to put a coate of Herculiner on the floor before putting back down new carpet. This will seal up any small holes. Now to figure out how to get the water out without tearing the whole floor out! I've heard I can drill a few holes on the inside of the floor, or tear up a few little sections and pump out the little water in there. I know I won't get every drop, but will try to get the majority. I really hate to think of ripping out the whole floor.
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-10, 09:53 PM   #20
florida fisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Bama, is your boat a dual console or only single, you said that its leaning on the drivers side if its a single the extra weight from the console could be causing it or even if you have a captains seat in the boat that could be causing it slightly

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.