Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-15-05, 11:49 PM   #1
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude
Default guitars

anybody here play either a acoustic or electric guitar? i have an eletric guitar(its not an expensive one, its a silvertone) i wanted a cheap starting guitar so if it didnt work out i wouldnt have wasted to much money. i play it whenever i can and am SLOWLY progressing. i am now lookin for an acoustic guitar as well because i will have more time on my hands. i dont want an expensive one cause i do have the infamous bait monkey to feed ;D but if any one has a website or a brand name thats in the 100-150 range, or cheaper if theres a good one that u know of that is cheaper. thanks
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 12:30 AM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: guitars

'68 precision bass w/ash body...'66 fender mustang..

can't help you on the buying..as you can see,it's been a long time since i bought a guitar.. 8)
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 12:53 AM   #3
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was into playing one time when I was younger. My mom was dating a guy who gave me an old guitar he had in his closet. He said that is had been in there for years and hadn't been played. I took it one time to a guitar guru who bought and sold guitars to see if he knew what kind it was. He told me it was a Lespaul, and was worth well over 10 Grand. I almost choked because I had been playing it. I had it stolen during one of my many moves while I was in the Navy >. I could never fiel a claim on it because I never had an official estimate on the value. :'(
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 01:15 AM   #4
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin

yeah i play acoustic guitar. Ovations are nice for the price, but they are around the $300-$400 range. They mostly have shallow backs, which i dont like as much but eh. You really cannot get a decent acoustic guitar for $150, sorry. Just save some money, and get an acoustic/electric. Also, DONT just go acoustic...you'll regret it. Oh another thing, get one with a cutaway, so you can play high notes and whatnot. I recommend getting a Taylor if you can. THey top everybody in my opinion. However, just to get an acoustic/electric, it is about $1,500 (i think it is a Taylor 414e, or something). There is a $650 Martin with Fishman sonicore 4 electronics, which is nice. I'd suggest that one. Fishman electronics are good. I wouldn't suggest fender. they are not that great. Takamine are okay, but you have to get expensive ones to get good tone. Umm...my bro has an ovation, and he likes it. It was $300 i think. It will do for starters, but if you know you will be playing it for a long time, just spend the money and get a GOOD guitar. Otherwise you will spend money on unneeded things. Again, get acoustic/electric, or you WILL regret it. So many people just get acoustic because it is cheaper, but then they end up getting electronics installed, anyway. So...if you have any more questions, just ask. I hope that helped! ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 01:29 AM   #5
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

Bassfisher,

My son and husband both like to play the guitar. My son has an electric and an acoustic. My husband has just the acoustic. I am not sure what brand my son has, but my husband has an Epiphone (not sure if spelling is correct). He likes it very much.

They pull up alot of Tabs and chords online.

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 01:33 AM   #6
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Epiphones are alright too. You just have to be careful, and dont buy a guitar without playing it! I'd still get a martin over an epiphone. Epiphone's run in all price ranges. They start getting better at about $400. ~discgolfer
Old 03-16-05, 10:05 AM   #7
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

well if they dont run to cheap im gunna have to look on ebay for one. discgolfer, even if i have an electric guitar already should i still get electric/acoustic guitar?
Old 03-16-05, 11:06 AM   #8
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

BF02, try looking around at pawn shops. Sometimes you can get a decent guitar pretty cheap if you hit it at the right time. Be aware though that alot of pawn shops theese days will carry a bunch of off brand asian crap that may look cool to the beginner but are not good for playing. Stick with a name brand guitar ie,Martin,ibanez, fender, epiphone,etc.... the local shopper papers are good sources also for guitar deals. Like discgolfer said, you usually won't get much for under about $250-300. Save up and get something decent, you won't regret it.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 06:29 PM   #9
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

is an ariana acoustic/electric guitar good? i saw one on ebay for 89.00.
Old 03-16-05, 08:48 PM   #10
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

I wouldn't recommend buying a guitar on ebay. You never know whats wrong with it and you can't tell if there is just by looking at the picture! It may be advertised as new but there are things that can be chronically wrong with a guitar and you won't know it unless you PLAY IT. Entry level guitars are especially prone to problems(fret buzz, extremely high action,dead tone,ect...) I've heard more ebay horror stories about guitars than any other item. So please, don't buy a guitar on ebay! If you have to, a music store is likely to have a Epiphon or yamaha acoustic for about $100.00 or so, but play it so you can see if there is anything blatantly wrong with it!
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 09:16 PM   #11
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Bassfisher, I have some guitars, mostly electrics but I have been playing a Alvarez and a Takamine acoustic lately.I will hunt some sites down for you.P N J Â*http://www.elderly.com/ http://www.music123.com/Guitars-d14....amp;pk=guitars
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 01:06 AM   #12
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks PNJ, and everyone else
Old 03-17-05, 04:15 AM   #13
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Like i said, dont buy it unless you play it first. String buzz sucks, i cant stand it! ALso, if you have a job, just wait a couple paychecks, save up about $500, and get an acoustic/electric. If you dont have a job, get one. Even if you have an electric guitar, an electric is not an acoustic, especially when plugged in. Also, the electronics you want to look for can include fishman and Taylor's expression system. Fishman was the best, until taylor took over with the expression system. Fishman is still good, though. I'd get fishman anyday. DO NOT buy from ebay. They sell insidious guitars most of the time, especially the ones for under two hundred. You can trust most guitar shops. Guitar Center is a good one, and also Musician's Friend. Stick with main brands, i like Taylor, Martin, some Takamine, some yamaha, some ovation, even less fender, and so on. If i didnt list it, it is either too expensive, or too crappy, or i just forgot about it. Dont waste your money. Do your research, read this post, learn, THEN buy. Again, dont buy it unless you like the sound. Even the exact same guitar as another can sound completely different. (ie Taylor 414 and a Taylor 414) Wood varies, so sounds are different. I like a warmer tone, some like bright. Depends on what you like to play. I play worship music, and warm sounds good to my ears when i play and sing. anyway, now im just rambling. ~discgolfer
Old 03-17-05, 02:48 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

cant get a job just yet, but i will put some money away whenever i get some :P and then look around.
Old 03-17-05, 04:43 PM   #15
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

There you go. Playing a cheap guitar is no fun. Glad to hear you'll put some money away. Im actually saving for one at the moment. Im planning on getting a Martin with fishman sonicore 4 electronics. Its around $700.
Old 03-17-05, 11:18 PM   #16
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a goth b c rich -go figure-with a warlocke head..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-05, 11:19 PM   #17
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i play electric. I want an acoustic just to have and learn stuff on because they're a lot harder to play stuff on and once u learn one them it makes electric guitar easier. I have a Fender....but i hate it. I'm hopefully getting a Les PAul soon so my ibanez half stack will b happy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.