Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-09, 04:32 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Talking Proper Rod and Reel for Spinnerbaits

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first few big purchases since i got into bass fishing. So i wanted to see if anyone has any good input.

First I'm looking at a spinnerbait combo im not sure on the exact reel and rod yet..... I know i want roughly a 7' rod. (I'm stuck on shore for the most part so i want to be able to throw the spinner as far as i can) MH extra fast rod...but like I said not sure on the exact one. then for a reel a fast retrieve baitcaster.

I'm looking at either the Abu Garcia Revo SX Low-pro or Shimano Curado E Low-Profile Baitcast Reels both with the 7:1 gear ratio (leaning toward the Abu Garcia caz it has free sunglasses). I will load either reel with 15 or 17lb mono. for a rod this is were I'm not to sure on. i know i want MH with extra fast tip. was looking at the shimano crucial rods but not sure. or a falcon lowrider. would kinda like a split cork handle but not a must. so if anyone has any other input on rods that would help.

My next big purchase will be a tackle bag. I see alot of people with the red bass pro bag and that looks really nice but i was thinking of somthing slightly bigger.....the reason is i live in an apartment so i want everything to be in that one bag. I dont have extra room for more plano boxes just sitting around. I would like to keep everything in that box. extra spools for my spinning reels. scents, pliers everthing. So i was either looking at that bass pro bag and just deel with having other stuff laying around or going with a Cabela's bag. anyone know if there good quality?

Also a side question. What size falcon boxes fit into the bass proshop bag.(basically what size falcon boxes match to what plano boxes)

Sorry for the long post....but IM NEW.... So i need alot of help.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 05:23 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Oh boy, you're really setting the monkey up for a big strike aren't ya

Ok, first things first, I'd go with the Abu over the shimano. My first pick would probably be a Daiwa reel in your price range though. I really don't see the need for a 7.1:1 reel for spinnerbaits seeing as I can get most spinnerbaits going fast enough to pop out of the water with a 6.3:1. Anyways, of what you said fot linr, I'd go with 14 or 15lb mono over the 17.

For the rod: Both rods you mentioned are good rods, but the Crucial is better than the LowRider. I'd look into the Falcon Cara series as well if you are interested in a Falcon rod. Those would probably be the first couple rods I'd look at.

I think spinnerbaits can be thrown on a wide range of rods, so pretty much anything will work good. I use a 6'6" MH Fast action rod. I've seen (or read) of people using anywhere from 6' to 7', M to H, and moderate to XF action. I think you'd be better of with a Fast action rod than the XF if you're going for distance. the slower tip will let you load the rod more and give you more distance.

as for a tackle bag... Falcon boxes don't match up in size with any plano boxes. They are bigger than a 3600 box and smaller than a 3700... They do that on purpose so you almost have to buy a falcon bag. I use the falcon boxes and keep them in a BPS bag. The bag never said what boxes it was supposed to fit, but the falcons fit perfectly upright in it. I use another of the same bag to hold all my soft plastics.

I'd go to BPS or whatever you got near you an put some falcon boxes in a few different bags and see what you like the best. if all else fails, buy a Falcon V12 bag, even though they're really expensive.

BB
Old 09-20-09, 10:59 PM   #3
MO3N

thanks for the help. i kept reading you want a fast retrieve so you can bring it in fast if you need to. but a reel with 6.3:1 will be a little easier to find. i was limited looking for a fast reel. so just for my own knowledge a 7:1 reel is good for jigs?

ill have to take a look at the rods you mentioned. with a fast tip instead of the extra fast. i thought the extra fast tip would help with casting.....proven wrong again lol im glad i asked though. need to learn as much as i can.

for the bag i think im going to go with the bass pro red bag and just get used to having a few extra boxes around my apartment. as of right now ill hardly be able to fill that bag. but that should change. and i think ill try out the falcon boxes they look a little tougher then the plano ones.
Old 09-20-09, 11:18 PM   #4
MO3N

man now its even harder either the fuego or the tierra???? seems like the tierra is pretty good for the price and the fuego seems like the highest lower end they make....thanks for pointing out the diawa reels for some reason i just over looked them.
Old 09-21-09, 06:44 AM   #5
keithdog

I have to agree with BigBassin. Buy the Revo SX in a 6.4:1 ration, and pair it with a MH rod with a fast action, not extra fast. Spooled with 14 - 17 pound line will work just fine. I'm not well versed on tackle bags so I'll pass on that one.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 07:20 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
thanks for the help. i kept reading you want a fast retrieve so you can bring it in fast if you need to. but a reel with 6.3:1 will be a little easier to find. i was limited looking for a fast reel. so just for my own knowledge a 7:1 reel is good for jigs?

ill have to take a look at the rods you mentioned. with a fast tip instead of the extra fast. i thought the extra fast tip would help with casting.....proven wrong again lol im glad i asked though. need to learn as much as i can.

for the bag i think im going to go with the bass pro red bag and just get used to having a few extra boxes around my apartment. as of right now ill hardly be able to fill that bag. but that should change. and i think ill try out the falcon boxes they look a little tougher then the plano ones.
I think most of the time gear ratio is a personal thing. For spinnerbaits, I think the 6.3:1 works great. Jigs and gear ratio is similar to spinnerbaits and rod, lol. I've read of people using a slow speed cranking reel, a normal 6:1 reel, and a burner. Personally,I prefer the burner, and am looking at the Daiwa Aggrest (7.3:1) for my jigging reels. I prefer the high speed because a lot of the time with jigs, you may only be fishing the lure for a couple feet, and then you need to get it back to the boat as quickly as possible.

Quote:
man now its even harder either the fuego or the tierra???? seems like the tierra is pretty good for the price and the fuego seems like the highest lower end they make....thanks for pointing out the diawa reels for some reason i just over looked them.
Both are good reels, although I've never used the Tierra, a friend of mine has one and likes it. I have fished with the Fuego, but only for a couple minutes. It seemed to perform similarly to my Viento. The Daiwa Advantage A reel would be another to look at, and is inthe middle of the Tierra and Fuego price wise.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...IWA-TDACA.html

Also, fuego's on clearance: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...AIWA-TDFG.html

BB
Old 09-21-09, 08:20 AM   #7
Bassboss

Just wanted to point something out. Before you go and buy anything, check out http://www.tackletour.com

It's a total independent review sight. They have reviews on all the rods and reel that you talked about (other than the LowRider, and Tierra). IMO, from just reading the reviews on tackle tour, you should go with a fuego, and go with a cularus.

Fuego
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwafuego.html

Cularus
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocrucial.html

Abu SX
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewaburevosx.html

Curado
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocuradoe5.html

But look at this reel too. (Daiwa HSTA Advantage)
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiw...ge153hsta.html

But on what GR reels, go with the 6.3:1 for spinnerbaits, and higher for worms/jigs.
Old 09-21-09, 11:26 AM   #8
MO3N

thanks everyone for the help and advice. ill do some reading and figure out what one ill go with. im sure ill be asking some more questions when it comes time to buy all the other gear other gear as well. thanks again.
Old 09-21-09, 11:48 AM   #9
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Monkey about to bite ....... now thatīs a new one right there , donīt know ībout the other guys cuz Iīve never been able to say monkey about to bite, I normally realize the monkey has played one his them danged mind tricks when the bite has already taken place.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 04:52 PM   #10
MO3N

ya its been tough not spending the money on a new set up. but im kinda new well really new to the whole bass thing so i dont want to spend money on somthing that wont work to well so i want to research alot before i buy...now with tackle thats a different story. seems like every time i go into town i find some reason to swing by the tackle shop to get somthing...next on the list is some hotsauce so i can keep my new reel up and running.
Old 09-23-09, 04:55 PM   #11
TravisRush

I shouldn't comment on this ya Coug...

I use a 6'6" medium w/fast action rod and a 7:1 Curado. I like lighter mono just for the distance but I just don't do too well with heavier lines (20+...not that I use them for spinnerbaits)

Let me know if you're ever on the west side and we will get out on the water
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-09, 07:12 PM   #12
MO3N

Ya I'm from the west side and bass fishing is all new to me specially over on that side so having someone to give advice for that side will be helpful. I'll let you know when i head over if i plan on fishing. dont think ill be home tell around thanksgiving... so not sure how good the fishing is that time of year.

So im set on this set up
REEL read some reviews and seems really nice. although its on the top top of my price range.

ROD in 6'6" Med fast. seems like not only a good spinnerbait rod but also a good all around rod.
Old 09-24-09, 12:43 AM   #13
TravisRush

Great choices...get some 12# mono and your set with that setup for spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and other topwater baits. I found the Sufix Siege, although inexpensive, to be some great line and very limp and easy to cast!

Thanksgiving time is pretty tough...it's about that time here that the bass start schooling for winter and it's a tough bite but all the big ones group up!
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 11:25 AM   #14
MO3N

I plan on using this set up for most everthing except small grubs and normal worms. At least for awhile, then ill be picking up in this order a jig combo, crankbait, senko combo, small grub/clear water worms for smallmouth and lastly a crappie set up.....But who knows how long it will take for me to get enough cash to pay for all that stuff.

I already have enough trouble bass fishing on the west side dont need that time of year to make it worse lol. I have only gone a couple times but still never got anything. Not sure what lakes you fish but the ones around me with bass are Kitsap, Wildcat, Panther, Island and if I wanted to drive a ways then long lake.
Old 09-24-09, 01:06 PM   #15
MO3N

One more question. I know some people like to use left hand retrieve for somethings (like jigs) do alot of people like to use left hand retrieve for spinnerbaits also? Usually I use normal right hand, but I could easily get used to left hand if I should.

Thanks again.
Old 09-24-09, 01:11 PM   #16
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Do alot of people like to use left hand retrieve for spinnerbaits also?
MO3N.. I strongly encourage all right-handed anglers to use left-handed reels. There is no good reason to use a right-hand retrieve reel if you are right-handed, and vice versa.

Reason being, having to constantly switch hands to cast is time consuming and just plain annoying. It is something that should be avoided at all costs. Also, if you're right handed and use a left-hand retrieve reel, you have your dominant, most agile and most powerful arm setting the hook, presenting the bait and enduring the all-day abuse of such activity. Multiply these disadvantages by 100x for flipping and pitching.

If you see all the pro's on TV fishing with right-hand retrieve reels, it's mostly because that is all that was made when they started fishing baitcasters, and they've unfortunately gotten used to it. I bet you anything in the world though, that these very pro's, if they could go back in time, would try their best to go "all lefty".
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 02:35 PM   #17
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

+1. As a right hander that recently moved in baitcasting, I shook my head at the idea of using the model designed for right handers. Getting a left handed model was a no brainer and I have no regrets. I wonder how many guys switching hands have missed a bite.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-09, 03:47 PM   #18
BigBassin144

I'm right handed. I learned to fish from my dad, who is a lefty. So I fish spinning reels left handed, and just continued when I got my first baitcaster. My dad, however, fished left handed spinning reels, but when he learned to fish baitcasters, he fished right handed ones. He said that's because when he used to use one a long time ago, they only made right handed ones and a lefty feels weird to him.

So, try fishing so you cast and hold the rod with your dominant hand and reel with your off hand. if it isn't comfortable, then just go back to how you normally fish, I don't really think it's that big a deal even though it may be more convenient.

BB
Old 09-24-09, 04:33 PM   #19
MO3N

I'm going to pick up a lefty one. its wierd because i fish my spinning reels left handed always have. But when me and my dad go salmon fishing there all right handed, we use the big round syle ones kinda like a baitcaster and this feels normal. But the thought of bass fishing with a right hand reel just seems wierd.

thanks for everyones help. im going to purchase this combo from tackle warehouse in a few good days (not many good local shops around here)
Old 09-26-09, 12:22 PM   #20
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I always go for the fastest reel I can get. Not one time have I ever said too my self I wish I had a slower reel. There is nothing on the market that can out run a bass on the move. I can vary my reels to just about any speed I want to get what I want. Because of my average conditions here I burn more than most would need to do but normally in the money. (Not everytime but more than most) I am 100% G Loomis and any of thier 7' rods are worth the money. You can shop around if your not in hurry to find an affordable price. Curados are hard to beat for the money.

PS - I fish spinners left handed and baitcasters right handed. Just your personal preference. Just remember buy what you want not what others want you to buy. It took me years to not jump at the next best thing.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.