Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-14-06, 07:06 AM   #1
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Never be afraid........

Was sittin here lookin through the threads and noticed something. Alot of the younger anglers here ask some very good questions and the veterans have excellant answers. One point that I havent seen latley is to never be afraid to break the rules and try something that is not textbook. Bass are fairly well textbook so to speak but that doesnt mean a technique for a certain condition is written is stone. For instance.......its winter time and a cold front is lingering around. The book says fish tight to cover and SLOW. Just this past tuesday I caught sveral bass burning a deepcrank in 5-6ft of water and have a very good day. Others on the lake where fishing deep and slow with jigs for the most part and I waxed there a@@. Just a heads up to some of the younger folks to try something outta the norm and you will be greatly surprised SOMETIMES not all the time.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 07:18 AM   #2
Fishie

Yeah, don't be afraid to get creative.
Old 01-14-06, 09:10 AM   #3
crankybait

haha... creative is my middle name. any of you ever catch a bass on an inline spinner with a snap as big as the spinner?
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 01:08 PM   #4
bass kicker

have you ever caught a bass with just a snap and a senko no hook
Old 01-14-06, 01:42 PM   #5
crankybait

senkos are for rich people
Old 01-14-06, 01:42 PM   #6
crankybait

ever caught a sunfish on a pretzel tied to kitestring with no hook or rod?
Old 01-14-06, 02:33 PM   #7
Fishie

You all crazy, senkos are not for the rich, only the yammies. Get some knockoff brand.
Old 01-14-06, 03:12 PM   #8
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You are exactly correct Laser.I decided a long time ago that there were only a few exact rules in fishing that never change.
1) The fish dont read.
2) The fish dont care what type boat you have or how fast it is
3) The fish dont care what type rod and reel you use.
4) The fish have a certain amount of ability to reason. Just like people they dont all react the same all the time.
These rules never change. The rest are man made and are thus subject to era.Fish2win
Old 01-14-06, 07:56 PM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You have to take in account the region your fishing in and also the area we forum members are located, that makes a world of dif to me as far as water temp goes. I have a pond on my property and the water temp is about 34 today, many fish on top of the water sunning them selves, but not eating ..So I presume the water temp in ark. is several degrees warmer and thus probably more active fish.
we just had the ice thaw out a few weeks ago in ohio.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-06, 08:08 PM   #10
bass kicker

i have never been afraid to try different styles and techniquies of fishing
Old 01-16-06, 07:01 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Very true JB. When I was fishing the air temp was 46 raining like cats and dogs (got hit in the head with a poodle) and the water temp was 52. My main point though was just like Fish2Win better stated that anything at any certain time could do the trick. So a person doesnt need to get discouraged because the book says do this and it aint workin.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 08:04 AM   #12
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

well one time i tried casting just a red hook. i thought, if they are attracted to a shiny piece of metal, maybie they are dumb enough to bite a curled piece of red metal. too bad it didnt work haha.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 08:26 AM   #13
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the message is..just because someone says "this is where you should fish a spinnerbait" or "this is how you're supposed to work a jig"..doesn't make it true. I've always tried to tell others that there is no right way for anything, relatively speaking. You wanna throw a spinnerbait in cold water? do it..you might catch a fish, you might not..whats to lose? You see conditions where someone says "this is what you should do and how you should do it"..wanna do the opposite? Whats to lose?
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 11:03 AM   #14
TackleTester

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

That's a good point Ken.....

IMO that's the same thing as that book when you are playing balckjack. The book says to stay at 16, but you never know for sure so sometimes you have to take a risk or do what your gut tells you......If you wanna fish a crankbait on a flat that on paper should be a good spinnerbait area, fish with the crank b/c you have confidence in it.
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 01:18 PM   #15
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Was sittin here lookin through the threads and noticed something. Alot of the younger anglers here ask some very good questions and the veterans have excellant answers. One point that I havent seen latley is to never be afraid to break the rules and try something that is not textbook. Bass are fairly well textbook so to speak but that doesnt mean a technique for a certain condition is written is stone. For instance.......its winter time and a cold front is lingering around. The book says fish tight to cover and SLOW. Just this past tuesday I caught sveral bass burning a deepcrank in 5-6ft of water and have a very good day. Others on the lake where fishing deep and slow with jigs for the most part and I waxed there a@@. Just a heads up to some of the younger folks to try something outta the norm and you will be greatly surprised SOMETIMES not all the time.
I agree 100% and that is my philosphy and I've only been fishing for just under two seasons. I like thinking out of the box myself. I have:

1) Added a rattle to a drop shot rig to work it in murky water.
2) Unknowingly, I have C-rigged Rapala floating minnows when I first started fishing. I couldn't cast them too far so I grabbed a 3-way swivel, one to the line, one to the lure and the other to a small bass casting weight. In essence that is a C-rig but I didn't know that until I started my journey into soft plastics.
3) "Power" drop shotted before Bassin' published such a great article on it. Power DSing mean using the drop shot technique with heavier weights and bigger baits.

Always think out of the box.
Old 01-16-06, 03:17 PM   #16
crankybait

i do this all the time... but mostly, i dont even know its something that goes totaly againt the natural rules of bassing. for example, ive been throwing a firetiger diving bait into crystal clear water for the whole year until fish on told me firetiger was supposed to be for murky water...
Old 01-16-06, 11:24 PM   #17
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser, there must be a big difference in water temp from north AR to south AR. Up here in north AR the water temp is around 43 degrees. You made a good point Laser, I think us fishermen don't think as " out of the box" as we should. I have learned that new color or new ways to rig baits can make a big difference. Ever stuck a grub in the back end of a tube I've caught fish on them before.
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:36 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Basspro
Yes I can attest to the water remp being quite different. When I went to Bull Shoals this past October down here we still had low to mid 80 water temps. At bull shoals I was showing high 60's to low 70's. Ineresting that much difference in just a 4 hr ride huh!
Old 01-17-06, 04:10 PM   #19
Basspro wannabe
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser where were you fishing
Basspro wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 06:15 PM   #20
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well as some of you can point out. i have to "think" inside the box most of the time. as my brain is always found out side the box standing in the gutter..

but this is me.

zooker
Old 01-18-06, 06:43 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

SCOOT OVER ZOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man theres room in here for bote u us.
Old 01-18-06, 06:49 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Basspro

I was fishing at a local lake called Lake Georgia Pacific. Went again yesterday and everyone though I was trying to get a monthly check for being uh CERTIFIED. Rain like a bi@@@ all monday afternoon and night. Yesyerday when I go to the lake it was still drizzling. Air temp got to an amazing 41. Water temp was 51. Wind was blowing 61mph. An exaggeration on the wind. We had gusts to 35 with a steady wind of 15-20. For this type of weather I murdered them. Caught 7 lost 4 and several other bites. Now here's the clencher. Was burning a crank over the weed tops and stopping it midway through the retreive and WHAM! Goes to show ya it aint always like the book says. Again the book says........Fish in tight cover and slow. There was nuttin slow bout how I fished yesterday.
Old 01-18-06, 07:32 PM   #23
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm with ya Laser. I've caught them in winter burner a spinnerbait and swiming a jig. My fav though for winter is a deep diving suspending jerkbait!

Eric
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.