Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-26-08, 11:41 PM   #1
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Fish following the lure

What do you guys do when the fish follow your lure all the way back to the boat but don't hit? I had this happen to me a few times and just couldn't get them to commit
Old 03-27-08, 12:19 AM   #2
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The reason that they do this is probably because they are getting to good of a look at your bait and it just doesn't seem that appealing or realistic enough. Try adding little things to your bait like scent, maybe a rattle to soft plastic, use lighter line. Change your retrieve speed! Burn it by them and make them want it because they can't see it and aren't to sure what it is, make them react to it!
Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 12:40 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
The reason that they do this is probably because they are getting to good of a look at your bait and it just doesn't seem that appealing or realistic enough. Try adding little things to your bait like scent, maybe a rattle to soft plastic, use lighter line. Change your retrieve speed! Burn it by them and make them want it because they can't see it and aren't to sure what it is, make them react to it!
Good fishin
sometimes this will help.....but sometimes you have to go the exact opposite direction. for example last spring i was fishing table rock and a lot of fish were on the beds but it started raining and it was impossible to see the beds. i had been seeing a lot of shallow fish before the rain came and they were cruising the shallow water so i started throwing a spinnerbait. i had a ton of fish follow the bait all the way to the boat but didn't have a single bite. i tried different colors, faster retrieves, and anything else i could think of. then i started throwing a suspending jerkbait (l.c. pointer ) and when i would let the bait suspend the fish would crush it. i ended up having one of the best days i have ever had on table rock, i had a ton of keepers and a few real good fish too.
Old 03-27-08, 01:41 AM   #4
fishin' fool

C-rig 01-

I just thought about that right after I sent the reply. A suspending jerk would work great in this situation, or dead sticking a jig or anyother plastic. Onces its infront of there nose for along period of time they wont pass it up cause its such an easy meal where they don't have to spend energy to obtain it. Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 08:05 AM   #5
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Kill the lure and snap it, try to get a reaction bite.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 08:31 AM   #6
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What Hef said....
Old 03-27-08, 09:20 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you've got a bass following the lure to the boat, it's not what it wants. throw a follow up lure. If I'm throwing a crankbait, I'll always have a plastiv worm or spinnerbait ready to throw behind it if I get a follow.

BB
Old 03-27-08, 09:51 AM   #8
Fish2win

This is a question that has been debated since the beginning of fishing I am sure. There is not a correct answer nor a wrong answer. Why? Because it is not always the same reason. If you really watch you bait as it aproaches the boat you may find that far more fish do this than you think. The fact that you noticed it makes me believe that the water was clear. General wisdom says to rush the retrieve in clear water so that the fish does not get as good a look atthe bait . A faster retrieve may also get a reaction strike. Bass are greedy. If they think it is getting away they will sometimes strike with less scutiny. Like i said there is no real answer. Try something and if it works it was the correct thing at that time. Fish2win
Old 03-27-08, 10:55 AM   #9
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you've got a bass following the lure to the boat, it's not what it wants. throw a follow up lure. If I'm throwing a crankbait, I'll always have a plastiv worm or spinnerbait ready to throw behind it if I get a follow.

BB
What BB144 said...
Old 03-27-08, 01:46 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Good advice all. That is where I'd change up the retrieve or color. You obvioulsy have the fish's attention, so that tells me you are on the right track. I'd start with the retrieve-speed it up, slow it down, stop, start-you get the idea. If that didn't work I'd try a different color-more natural in clear water and brighter is stained water. I that didn't work then I'd try a different type of bait.

The suspending JB is a great idea for an alternate lure.
Old 03-27-08, 02:08 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

If your line is almost all the way in and the fish is still following, try making an 8 with your rod. Just take the remaining line and twirl it in the pattern of a number 8. Sometimes, they will hit at the very last minute when you do this . . .
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-08, 04:46 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
If your line is almost all the way in and the fish is still following, try making an 8 with your rod. Just take the remaining line and twirl it in the pattern of a number 8. Sometimes, they will hit at the very last minute when you do this . . .
this will work at times too. but most of the time a fish bites me on short line like that i end up looking like a jackass!
Old 03-27-08, 05:28 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Most of the time, I've notices the bass spook when they see you on shore or in a boat. The Figure 8 works great with less spooky fish like Musky.

BB
Old 03-27-08, 05:39 PM   #14
zooker

depends on the bait. if it is a crankbait a color change is needed.a spinnerbait speed is too SLOW.. a jig color and trailer change neded..

zooker
Old 03-27-08, 10:52 PM   #15
3dkicker

Try getting into the habit of stopping the bait at the boat before you pull it out of the water. You might be surprised when the bass hits it. If not then try as Hef suggested....reminds me of muskie fishing and doing a figure 8 at the boat. If the fish does hit, be quick with the drag or thumb bar.
Old 03-28-08, 08:34 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Honestly, unless you got a bass with big balls, I don't think they'd hit the figure 8, it will probably just scare them away.

3d, stopping the bait does work. I was fishing in my pond last summer with buzzbaits. I had reeled it in and when I got close to the shore, I turned to tell my dad something and the buzzbait sank about a foot and a bass just slammed it.

BB
Old 03-28-08, 01:27 PM   #17
zooker

i remember a flw tourny were they won by catchin fish on a buzzbait that never broke the surface..

zooker
Old 03-28-08, 01:43 PM   #18
Lilmoosecountry

Follow up with a jig or texas rigged worm as a 2nd option.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 10:28 PM   #19
senko

Thanks guys for all the replies! I was fishing with a white spinnerbait. Went out again today and tried some tips you guys gave me and they worked out well... On one of those "oh sh*t!" casts, a fish hit when I was bringing it back in really fast to get another cast off. Thanks again!
Old 03-31-08, 06:00 PM   #20
zooker

try hookin a 60+ pound flat head on a jig just before you pick it out of the water.. the term is "big dawg short leash"...

zooker
Old 03-31-08, 08:43 PM   #21
senko

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
try hookin a 60+ pound flat head on a jig just before you pick it out of the water.. the term is "big dawg short leash"...

zooker
Wow I can only imagine, Zook! I mean, with that fish I had to let out some line to fight him out a bit, and he was only like a 2 pounder.
Old 04-01-08, 06:35 PM   #22
zooker

mine ended bad he wrapped me in some rebar and broke the line.. the guy i was fishing with was trippin..

zooker
Old 04-02-08, 09:08 PM   #23
bamabassman

if dat fish just follows every time, time to shoot it, hahaha. kidding. i was fishing a pond YEARS ago. i kept throwing my worm at this sow. she would pick it up at the tail and move it. did this for 45 mins. till finally she just decided to eat it. so i ate her, lol. and no she wasn't on bed. it was in late summer. she weighed 7 1/2. mmmmmmmmm
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 05:18 PM   #24
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

If it did this for 45 minutes, I would say this fish, male/female was on a bed. No fish would pick-up and move a lure so gently without an underlying cause...

Just my .02,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 07:46 PM   #25
BigBassin144

There isn't gonna be a fish on a bed in late summer.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.