Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 01-23-10, 01:25 PM   #1
Dusty1776
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Ugly Stick Crank Bait Rod?

Not doing so well money wise, out of work for awhile. I would like to get a rod for crank baits but don't have a ton of money.

I was told by a guy in the store that ugly sticks were good crank bait rods.

The kid working in the store said they were to soft and showed me another rod in the same price range.

My buddy is willing to give me an ugly stick if it works for me.

I have a shamino med spinning outfit that I use most of the time.

I bought some sutff at a farm auction and ended up with about 150 crank baits, would like to find a decent rod to use them with.
Sold some of them and putting the money towards the rod.

So I guess what I'm asking is ugly stick as a crank bait rod, yes or no!

Thanks for all your help.
Dusty1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 03:50 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If it is free.....go for it pal. Then when your money is straitghened out, go out when you can and buy the guy a rod of equal value first, then replace yours with a nicer rod that YOU like.
Old 01-24-10, 11:24 AM   #3
nofearengineer

I think an Ugly Stik would be a fine crankbait rod, especially for the money, if you can put up with the weight. Their "softness" would definitely help with those treble hook. Who needs sensitivity on a crankbait rod anyway?
Old 01-24-10, 11:56 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Like bama said, if it's free go for. If you're going to buy one, I'd save up a bit more money and check out the Shimano Voltaeus. They've got an action similar to the ugly sticks, but I think they are lighter and use better components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I think an Ugly Stik would be a fine crankbait rod, especially for the money, if you can put up with the weight. Their "softness" would definitely help with those treble hook. Who needs sensitivity on a crankbait rod anyway?
While it's not a must in crankbait fishing like it is with jigs or t-rigs, sensitivity can be an advantage. That (along with the light weight) is why I chose a graphite blank when I built my crankin' stick.

Sensitivity does come into play when cranking above weed beds and ripping the cranks out when they come in contact with the weeds.

BB
Old 01-24-10, 02:30 PM   #5
Dusty1776
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Fellows for the Advice
I have always been of the same mind set BigBassin144, a stiffer stick to get the cb out of the weeds.
I think I am going to take my buddy up on his offer and borrow his UStick. Then I can lean to fish these things and if I like using them, pick up a better rod down the road.
I have looked at the Voltaeus, but thought the guides would not last if I used braid.

Thanks Again guys I really appreciate you advice, and stay safe with that wind coming your way.
Dusty1776 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.