Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-04, 01:49 PM   #1
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default how do I fish a ultravibe speed worm?

thanks
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 02:20 PM   #2
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich
Default Re: how do I fish a ultravibe speed worm?

I like them as a topwater. I fish them weedless and weightless. The most important part is how you rig it. You want to make sure the tail is vertical with the cut on the bottom. Easiest way to do this is to make sure the piont of the hook comes out and then back in the seam on the worm when you are rigging it. Then just cast it out and reel it in. Vary the retrieve until you find out what they want.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 02:30 PM   #3
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 09:00 PM   #4
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I also use them as a topwater, like a buzzbait. That tail makes a nice little commotion on the surface.

There are other things, but I don't want to steal Mac's thunder, so I'll wait for him to come on and tell you.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 09:58 PM   #5
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Thanks, Marty.....

How do you fish a speedworm? I use a modified version of slow-fall and deadsticking.

I cut the tail off measuring from the nose of the worm and cutting at the 4 inch mark. Save the tail.

I also cut just the flat hooktail off sometimes...save the tail.

I use the shorter 4 inch body, texposed on a 2/0 worm hook weightless. I throw to likely cover/structure and simply let it fall weightless. Watching line at all times, let it fall to bottom....if a bass doesn't grab it on the way down.......let it rest on bottom for 25 seconds and then lift slowly about 2 feet feeling for fish....if nothing, reel in and cast again to another likely spot. Watermelon/Red (red glitter) works the best of all the zoom colors. I also use the short 4 inch body for skipping.....under logs, limbs rocks and docks....and in the weeds as well.

The longer body, I use for more open water applications..such as near lily pads or points of reeds.

Casting....sometimes a high arc cast with a goodly splash on entry works well, sometimes skipping it up to a weedy edge works well, and sometimes just an ordinary cast works at other times. The body can also be wacky rigged and works well at times that way too.

Use the tails as follows. The tail with a little of the body still attached makes a good replacement for a lizard tail...it splashes on top and throbs underwater. Weld it on with a pencil soldering iron.

The simple hooktail without the attached body section works well to replace tails on flukes. Weld the hooktail on flat out, not vertical, but horizontally. Doing this will make the fluke tip on the topwater retrieve like a wounded minnow trying to regain equilibrium....will also throb when pulled underwater.

The watemelon/red tails can be welded onto lizards and flukes of any color......if your favorite fluke is pearl, the watermelon/red hooktail welded on won't matter to the fish.

mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 04:28 AM   #6
reddscott
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to reddscott

Mac has a very good version of the speed worm! worked great great great in early fishing season for me!
reddscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 11:54 AM   #7
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

Thanks, Trap!!!
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.