Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-05-06, 12:22 AM   #1
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Kickboat...Everthing you wanna know!!!

I get alot of fellas from the east coast always wanting to know about my kickboat. I figured I fill you guys in on a inexpensive way to get off the bank and on/into the water.

The pictures are of a couple of different kickboats. Mine is made by a company called Bucks Bags. Retails for about $499.99. The blue one that is facing forward is a Outdoor Engineering's Versa Vessel. Retails for $899.99 This is the best boat on the market bar none. It has a Aluminum frame and can be disassebled with the pull of a couple of pins and fits into the back seat of a car. Most kickboats weigh between 45-75 lbs with out gear. The pontoons themselves on average are 8-9ft long. They are pretty easy to move around. I use a dolly and bungee cords.

These boats are only limited to your imagination. The picture of the guy standing on that boat made that one himself(hes a welder). Most normal kickboats are about 5 ft wide and 8 ft long. His is 5 ft wide but when we flips 4 buckles it EXPANDS to be 8 ft wide by 8 ft long. He has a deck he walks around. He also custom built a rod rack that is on spindlethat hold 8 rods that he can spin 360 degrees. ost of us add our rods behind us. also behind us in a metal platform that has a strong mesh where we put our livewells/gear/food or batteries. Most of us also have full electronics as well. We fabricate some kinda mount for our tranducers onto the bottom of the frame it goes in to the water about 10 inches. In the pic of my 9 lber if you look in the fron t of my boat on the right pontoon I have mine there.

These boats can also get into really skinny water. We get into places no bass boats would dare to go. Ive been in as little as 12 inches floating down a river. They are incredibly quiet. We maily use oars for long distance and fins of moving around. You can fit all the normal gear youd take on a boat but without the hassle of a big boat. See what bass boat lacks in stealth we make up for. Sure a Big boat can cover alot of water and we cant but we really cover the water. I pay attention to every detail in a given area. A big boat will move fast and cover ALOT of water. We are moving slower and more methodical.

You guys who want one can get into one for about 200.00-350.00 for a good starter model.

www.waterskeeter.com

www.outdooregineering.com

www.creekcompany.com

www.bucksbags.com

Here is a video of our Kickboat Open event couple of years ago. You will need Quicktime to view its about 15 minutes long so I hope you have DSL or something fast......

Ok well I cant paste the link but I can tell you a easy way to get there...
Go to www.westernbass.tv Click on By Title(on left hand side) and scroll all the way to the bottom. Click on the 2nd to the bottom and its the U.S. Kickboat Open. Its a fun one to watch. Actually all the videos here are great to watch.

Well guys I hope this kinda gives you info about Kickboats. If you want more info pm me. ll be happy to give advise...

Stop wishin and get to Fishin

Last edited by Deacon; 02-14-06 at 11:45 PM.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 08:52 AM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

is there anything less than 200? thats all the cash ive got for this year. how bout jon boats? ive heard theyre cheap, never found anything for a good price though. hell id even use an inflatable pool toy and some paddles
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 12:57 PM   #3
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

Cranky, find a used jon boat, look in the newspapers in the classifieds, local shopper papers, ask around. Eventually youll find a good one.
Old 02-05-06, 01:11 PM   #4
crankybait

searched. cheapest one on ebay is like 350
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 04:28 PM   #5
KenDammit

how well does a big fella work in one of those???
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 04:40 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ken not for long he becomes a skinny feller real quick..

they would be alright if i was fishing ponds or some thing. but i rarely do that..

deacon
how do you truck them?? pick it up sling it in the back of your benz?

zooker
Old 02-05-06, 05:58 PM   #7
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
ken not for long he becomes a skinny feller real quick..

they would be alright if i was fishing ponds or some thing. but i rarely do that..

deacon
how do you truck them?? pick it up sling it in the back of your benz?

zooker
LOL, I'd say you're not far from the truth. All that rowin and kickin would sure whip a man into shape. I think I'll just stick to jon boats and stuff with trollin motors...it feels wonderful!
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 05:01 PM   #8
PowerBass

I am thinking about buying one for small lakes 20 acres or less. My main lake is 10 acres, and shallow.
Old 02-05-06, 06:35 PM   #9
HuckFinn
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Hi Guys,
I bought two of the pontoon boats last year. Cost about 150 dollars each from Cabela’s. If you look at my avatar, you will see my son in his, I took the picture from the yellow one. Both go together very quickly and weigh around 35 pounds. My boat came with an air pump, or the same pump can be purchased for about 20 dollars. The one my son is using can be pumped up at a gas station.
The blue pontoons are 8 feet long the yellow 9.
Ok the good news and the bad.
The way the pontoons attach to the seat is VERY INPORTANT!!!! The blue one have straps the hold the toons in place. They can not move forward or back. This is a vital deal. The yellow ones can move forward or back and they do. While on the lake, my pontoons moved back and my butt got very wet. I pulled to shore and repositioned the toons, same thing happened after a short time. The design is not that good. There is no way to keep the pontoons from moving. Need to add a piece of metal to stop the straps from moving. Also, when the air condensed in the toons they started to deflate, this is caused by the airtime and the water temp. After a long day of fishing, son needed to inflate his toons 2 or 3 time. So I would suggest that you keep the pump attached to the cargo platform just in case. This is an item that you might want to purchase in person rather then on line, without seeing the design.
They are also rated for weight. The blue ones are rated for 300 pounds and the yellow are rated for 350.
Both have pockets in the toons that allow storage and they both have cargo platforms behind the pilot. I have a stripping bag on mine. It is used to hold the extra fly line when using a fly rod.
Love these things just need to redo the strap system on mine.
Another suggestion! If you use one get a rod holder. This is a small line that attaches to the pontoons and the butt of your rod. If you drop the rod, you can retrieve it.
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-06, 06:39 PM   #10
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've said several times on here that I'm sold on Kayaks as a fishing vessel. If I had more money I would get one immediatly.
Old 02-05-06, 06:57 PM   #11
PowerBass

Huck,
great post! That helps some with selection process

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.