Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-13-11, 09:20 PM   #1
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 1991 Basscat Pantera II

Well I'm finally starting to look at my own boat. I'm on a budget of about 4k Anyway I was browsing some local classifieds and came across a "1991 basscat pantera II with a 200 mariner
Hydraulic Steering
New Water Pump, New Tires, New Floor, New Runners on Trailer
Moto Guide Trolling Motor
Extra Prop.''

Before I call they guy I don't really have any experience with a Mariner Motor anyone on here have any input.

Name:  Bass-Cat.jpg
Views: 7826
Size:  29.6 KB
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:09 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Mariner was made by Mercury. I had a 75 hp Mariner on a previous boat, had no major issues with it. Basically it is a Merc engine.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 10:10 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mariner is made by mercury. cheaper version in my opion. but a good motor none the less.

would love to see more pics of this rig. then i oculd give oyu a better opion. go look at it in person, makek sure they let you drive it. and then drive it like oyu stole it. look it over VERY carefully. check the transom throughlly too.
Old 04-14-11, 12:13 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

doc, have you used www.searchtempest.com, it allows you to search craigslist ads in surrounding towns/states within a set distance. I have been searching around for a boat too. My plan was to hold off until next year for a phoenix as I plan on paying cash and it's going to take atleast a year to save up for it, whereas I could buy something now for around 15k.

On a side note, you can find some great deals, but I find it amusing what some of these guys have their rigs listed for, I had to send a local guy an email asking if he had been drinking when posting his 1999 Triton TR186 for $13,500!!! Are you kidding me?
Old 04-14-11, 02:36 PM   #5
doc

One of our local club anglers knows the 2 previous owners of the boat, said he couldn't speak for the guy who owns it now, but the first two people who owned the boat took good care of it. I gave the guy a call he says the boat runs great, it had been setting for a season so before he put it up for sale he had the tanks drained and cleaned, and had the carbs cleaned. He said he took it to the local lake to run it and the game warden was there, the game warden told him he could run it all he wanted on the trailer because his registration wasn't up to date.

I told the guy I would have to drive the boat before any purchase was made, he said that would not be a problem at all. I'm probably going to take a look at the boat this weekend. I'll post some pics.
Old 04-14-11, 02:44 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

It will fly and scare the he double hockey sticks out of you...

So I say buy it.. and a helmet

Capt Mike
Old 04-14-11, 02:45 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Mercury/Mariner is like Lowrance/Eagle or GMC/Chevy, Ford/Mercury or Alabama/Auburn
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 05:36 PM   #8
bamabassman

boogieman........there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AL/AU. 12 HUGE DIFFERENCES,LOL.
Old 04-14-11, 06:36 PM   #9
Embrey

nothing cheaper about a mariner. they are great motors. ive owned 2 of em,and both have ran great. they are pretty bullet proof if you keep oil to them. oh, and they like gas...but what boat doesnt?
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 06:45 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Mariner is nothing but Mercury's saltwater marketing division. Though Mercury has sort of taken over everything in the past few years, Mariner is still out there.

You can get a Mariner Optimax, a Mariner Verado, etc. They're out there. They just have a grey paint job on them.

It's the same thing as Johnson/Evinrude. They used to be exactly the same motor, but different marketing divisions. Now Evinrude has everything.
Old 04-14-11, 08:17 PM   #11
nova385
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
boogieman........there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AL/AU. 12 HUGE DIFFERENCES,LOL.
Yep one is THE NATIONAL CHAMP.
Sorry, had to do it.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 09:54 PM   #12
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yeah its a Merc. I haven't fished out if one of these, but the guys who own them here in FL swear by them. Sounds like it was well taken care of.
Old 04-14-11, 10:46 PM   #13
Bender

I've fished out of a Pantera II that is about 10 years newer. I don't know the Cats very well but I don't think a whole lot changed. I would say that it should be a really good boat, as all BassCats are. I was in the Pantera II out on Saint Clair several years ago, but from what I remember it was a great ride.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 07:39 PM   #14
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
mariner is made by mercury. cheaper version in my opion. but a good motor none the less.

would love to see more pics of this rig. then i oculd give oyu a better opion. go look at it in person, makek sure they let you drive it. and then drive it like oyu stole it. look it over VERY carefully. check the transom throughlly too.
I have a 1997 Mariner Mag EFI 200HP. I have had to rebuild it twice (the last time because the guy in Florida didn't do it right). Mariner and Mercury are identical and totally interchangeable. It was simply a diferent name, much like GM products, and others. Names appeal to people, but I can assure you that the motor is as good as any equivalent model Mercury. 1991 model has probably got some hours on it, I would ask if it has a fresh power head or rebuilt lower unit. If not you could find yourself about 2800 to 3500 in the hole really quickly if something went wrong.
Old 04-19-11, 09:24 AM   #15
doc

Going to take a look at the rig today.
Old 04-19-11, 09:02 PM   #16
bamabassman

post pics for us doc!! good luck man. drive it like ya STOLE IT!!
Old 04-20-11, 01:47 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

The P2 is a great boat. It probably has the best rough water ride of any boat in it's class and it's a fast boat for it's size.

Like everyone else said, Mariner is just as good as Mercury since they are the same motor. I have heard that you can take parts off of one and they will work on the other, from what I have been told they are the same motor with a different color cowling. I had one years ago and it was a great motor.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 05:37 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Mercury/Mariner is like Lowrance/Eagle or GMC/Chevy, Ford/Mercury or Alabama/Auburn

Now THAT is an official LMAO!
Old 04-28-11, 02:34 PM   #19
doc

Had an appointment set up with the guy today to meet at the lake and run the boat. I called the guy to make sure we met at the same ramp. When I called the guy he proceeds to tell me a funny story about how someone pulled up and bought the boat. I did not find the humor in that story.

I know it was his to sell to whomever he wanted, but he could have at least paid me a courtesy call.
Old 04-28-11, 05:03 PM   #20
lowrider

Especially since we'de have been at the ramp, on time, scratching *** wondering where he was.....
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.