Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-11, 06:31 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass boat delimma

Ok I’m in a boat dilemma and would like some opinions. I want to fish tournaments….I’ve been fishing local but want to also start hitting the BFL’s over here in NC. If you haven’t seen my Huck Fin bass boat here it is. I managed two wins in a season with it, which I was happy with, but it was ruff as hell. Between being rocked by other boats and the laughing at my boat it almost made my wins not enjoyable. Anyway I also want to join a club that’s in the federation. Ok I’m giving myself 6 month’s to a year on the boat. I want to spend another year or two on working my skills and new techniques. Before really hitting tournaments hard! Now here’s what I’m trying to decide. I’m looking at this pontoon (yes I know) that I would rig up with a 25 horse. It’s called a Pond King Pro. I’m also looking at a tracker (2010-2011) or a used Nitro with a150 (not sure what year). What I’m trying to decide is based on this. I’ve got 3 kids two heading off to college next year, and a 12 year daughter. I have many friends who never get their boat on the water (other than tournament time) or when they do they only run the trolling motor. That’s not me. Before coming to Florida (on my way back to NC) I fished January to December, and fished at Least once a week (missed maybe 4 due to family activities) but I put A LOT of time on the water…..I’m trying to get better. I know it cost to tow and cost more to run your boat. Can you run a 115-150 at 20 30mph and get better mileage than the average 2 mpg? I wouldn’t have a problem not getting up on plane if I didn’t guzzle gas. As much as I get on the water I just don’t think I could afford filling up my boat tank once or more a week. My buddy told me if I want to compete I need a fiberglass Bass boat with a 150. What I’m wondering is should I look at the Pond King Pro with a 25-30 outboard and take the two years to get better and then start looking at Bass boats. The thing about the Pond King is I could also run it electric only (like I’ve been doing with my huck fin boat) the bottom line for me is cost running…..but like I said before I don’t want to be off the water. I asked about the tracker because I would be a step up from the Pond King but I’ve been told I wouldn’t be able to compete that well with it. I’m addicted to bass fishing and I’m past the level of just fishing to fish. Just curious what some of your opinions are?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.