Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-11, 08:12 PM   #1
fish2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to fish2
Default Need some advice on a possible purchase

looking at buying a bass boat. Came across a 2008 Bass Tracker Nitro 640. It is 16 ft long and has a 2009 50 horse Merc motor(ME50ELPTO). comes with a motor guide pro series 46 trolling motor with lowarance depth finders. 20 gal fuel cell. Guy states that it was his dad's and his dad passed away. Seller states it has never left the trailer or been in the water. Does this sound like a too good offer.
also what is it worth? All help would be useful thanks guys.

Zach
<><
Old 03-13-11, 09:13 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Without knowing the price of it, I can't say whether or not it sounds too good to be true. But the easiest way to see if his story checks out is to get it to a mechanic who can hook it up to a computer and see how many hours are on it (I assume they are able to do this with smaller outboards). This information will not only let you know if it has been on the water but if it turns out the guy is lying then you will know what kind of RPM's, water pressure, water temp and all other conditions the motor has been through. Of course a compression check and a good once over by a mechanic is advised anyways. I would just tell the guy that you want to take it to a Mercury mechanic of your choice and if it checks out then you will pay the bill and if it doesn't then he pays the bill. You should get a good idea from his reaction if he is telling the truth or not.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 09:24 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As an example of what its worth a 2008 in pristine shape just sold at auction in Georgia for 7k,it was however eq with the highest hp its rating could handle a 90 hp merc.
That with a 50 was pretty much the entry pkg and cost like 1500-2000 less than the upgrade 90 hp did.Assuming it would bring same less its about 4500-5500 value on an auction and if purchased would have to treat like a new motor with a break in period.
Something is worth what one can actually get out of it,not what bluebook price is,times are tuff its a buyers world.Generally those with less hp are harder to sell as dont move very fast,and those that upgraded when purchased get fair value.
For casual fishing its a decent boat for lake erie or wanting to run over a few miles no,with a 90 hp however one could run say 20 miles either direction.

Last edited by lilmule; 03-13-11 at 09:33 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 12:40 AM   #4
sthnchm
BassFishin.Com Member

i have inquired about the same boat. wondering if its a scam. where did you see it? It was on Craigslist in Bessemer, Ala. here. We should compare notes to check this guys story.

Last edited by sthnchm; 03-14-11 at 12:48 AM.
sthnchm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:32 PM   #5
fish2

carolina he has it listed at 2900 bucks
and sthnchm he told me he lives in Boston
Old 03-14-11, 03:41 PM   #6
CMorg

Scam , there are hundereds of scams on Craigslist. I intentionally call them out and they usually respond with what appears to be a very bad english vocabulary ( ie , words misspelled , not in the right order ) I am assuming this is an overseas type scammer.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 03:49 PM   #7
fish2

CMorg I agree, I thought it was a to good to be true deal. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a mid 1990s to a early 2000s Bass Tracker for a good price let me know. I am itching to get my own boat.
Old 03-14-11, 04:38 PM   #8
sthnchm
BassFishin.Com Member

fish2, he told me he was in Boston as well and that his dad had passed away. I might email him back and tell him I have family up there and they want to come by and look at it. See what he says.
Old 03-15-11, 11:05 AM   #9
fish2

Let me know what he says
Old 03-15-11, 05:50 PM   #10
sthnchm
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok here is the latest. I told him I would have someone come by and look at the boat. He proceeded to tell me his brother in law had a sewing machine company which used a freight service and he would ship it to me. He said he had a couple of other guys looking at it but one had to get a loan and the other only had 2200.00. I emailed him back and said I didn't need it shipped, I would come get it and pay him for it when I saw it and picked it up. His next email proceeded to tell me that he had a family and was not a scumbag and that if I wanted it, he would give me the buy it now link on Ebay. I would pay for the boat, he would have it shipped, I would have 5 days to decide if I wanted it or not while Ebay held the money. If I didn't want it, he would have it picked up and my money would be returned. LOL, amazing!
Old 03-15-11, 05:52 PM   #11
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

scam,scam...........SCAM!!!! report that dude, better yet.have your someone go by and "pay a visit".
Old 03-15-11, 08:20 PM   #12
fish2

Knew it why can't people be honest
Old 03-15-11, 08:22 PM   #13
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthnchm View Post
Ok here is the latest. I told him I would have someone come by and look at the boat. He proceeded to tell me his brother in law had a sewing machine company which used a freight service and he would ship it to me. He said he had a couple of other guys looking at it but one had to get a loan and the other only had 2200.00. I emailed him back and said I didn't need it shipped, I would come get it and pay him for it when I saw it and picked it up. His next email proceeded to tell me that he had a family and was not a scumbag and that if I wanted it, he would give me the buy it now link on Ebay. I would pay for the boat, he would have it shipped, I would have 5 days to decide if I wanted it or not while Ebay held the money. If I didn't want it, he would have it picked up and my money would be returned. LOL, amazing!
Lol , told you it was a scam. Read this old post , and make sure to scroll down to my responce. I find the same thing with boats/cars/motorcycles...
Old 03-15-11, 08:22 PM   #14
CMorg

Forgot the link , sorry.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=26053
Old 03-15-11, 09:08 PM   #15
sthnchm
BassFishin.Com Member

Cmorg, you were right. it is scam. if it werent so sad, it would be funny how this guy has gone in circles. who do i need to report him to? im gonna tell him one more time that i have cash, i want it, and will come get it. i want to see how he will try and worm out of that.
Old 03-17-11, 09:02 PM   #16
fish2

fill us in on what he says
Old 05-15-11, 12:22 PM   #17
balla13
BassFishin.Com Member

What was the guys email. There is one on craigslist in holdrege nebraska.
balla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 08:09 AM   #18
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would toy with him for a bit. Atleast it will keep him occupied so he doesn't scam someone else. I would tell him that you are from the Amish country and buying this as a gift and therefore can only pay cash, ask him to meet you in some random location and you will exchange the cash...and never show up...or better yet (I've done this) tell him you will send it via Western Union, and ask him where it is a convenient location when he emails you back that it didn't arrive tell him that you sent it to another location (a few miles from the original) hahaha..scam a scammer, why not? The best one I have seen so far is a guy who actually convinced a scammer to get some ridiculous tattoo, the guy who was getting scammed claimed to the would be scammer that he could not exchange money with anyone who was not part of his religion and to become a member you had to get this tatto...it was some ridiculously stupid tattoo that he just came up with on the spot..now that is genius!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.