Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-11, 02:09 PM   #1
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Sizing a trolling motor

I've got an old 1984 Venture fiberglass tri-hull bass boat with a 115 Mariner on it. It's 16 1/2' long but not a wide boat and I'm looking to put a new trolling motor on it. It had a 42 lb thrust MG on it previously but when I got the boat it didn't work. I'm a MK man so that's what I'm probably going to go with. I looked at the Maxxum 55 but saw that it was a 12 volt and I really wanted to go with 24 volt. The Maxxum 70 is a 24 volt but I'm wondering if that's too much trolling motor for this boat. What do you guys think? Should I go with the 55 or will the 70 be OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Venture Boat Front to Back Small.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	7260  
MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 02:53 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To much is better than running out of electric with to little,ive got a 70 pd hand unit on an allison weighing but 1060 lbs,wind blowing 40 mph current at 2mph can still go forward beats going backwards.
Ive used 50 and 52 on even a ranger weighing a lot more,out of the wind not a problem.
Pros and cons to both means another battery and charging if a two bank going to a three,all meaning extra $ and weight.Is the extra oomph necessary and do you really need it or merely want it.
52 pds thrust will last all day long even on 12 v ,I made it back once 8 miles out on one,barely turning over however and 5hrs later.
24 v under constant usage will last 1 1/2 times that.
24 tends to recharge sooner than a single battery as not depleted as far
cost of a 24 v is 1 1/2 times as much
Its not a real hefty boat therefore not a whole lot needed other than extra on hand
Yes I have a 24 v but am also thinking of going back to 12 v as allisons dont have a lot of spare room,could use the weight loss as well,extra battery etc.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 03:23 PM   #3
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Just like mule said. It all depends on what you are looking to do and weather. Here is my experience with a similar size boat so maybe it will help:

Have a 17' Ranger w/ 125 mercury. Have the Minn Kota maxxum 55 12v motor brand new last year. Boat always loaded with gear and generally 2 ppl. Can fish all day long and them some and I use the trolling motor alot on #1 or #2 constant and never have any power issues...but

The only time that I wish I had more power like 70+ would be when it is very windy. When you are trying to stay on the one side of the bridge pilings and have to run in at least 4th to do so (extreme wind). You generally have to run the motor in 3 and sometimes 4 under constant wind pounding to stay close to position.

Other then that scenerio you will not have any issues with it at all.

If you don't normally go out on real real windy days then you will be fine.

If you do put a 70lb 24 volt on your boat, you will be able to pull a skier in #5.....LoL!
Old 10-13-11, 05:10 PM   #4
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I wish I could use a 24v system, but when it goes to trolling motor size I've heard a few pro's, Lindner, and KVD among them, say...get the biggest motor you can afford. I took them to heart, and have a 12v 55lb thrust MK mounted on my 14' aluminum semi-v, that has a 15 hp johnson on it.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 05:21 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

never too much power pal. get the highest #thrust you can afford. trust me on this.
there may come a time when you are out in the middle, far end or at least an hour away from the ramp and oyur motor goes out. THEN oyu'll be glad oyu had the "over-powered" troller. it'll get you back quicker. trust me, been there, done that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.