Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-24-09, 09:57 PM   #1
DelaWhere
BassFishin.Com Member

Default open water bait

what kind of baits do you guys throw in open water with no structure. I always troll along the shore lines and do pretty well but i never really fish out in the middle of the pond. The ponds around here are all shallow (about 6-10 ) and most have hydrilla that tops out around 4 foot under the surface. The water is slightly staind. So what kind of stuff would you guys throw
DelaWhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 10:13 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well, spinners, cranks and swim baits come to mind. shaky head jigs and worm, lizards too.
Old 05-24-09, 10:19 PM   #3
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Try ripping rat l traps or the like over the grass...that's a pretty popular and well known technique
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-09, 10:22 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes it is and i was gonna post that and this techinuque, try to yo-yo the rattle trap. let it fall just above the grass and pull it up, back and forth like a yo-yo. works great in some cases. spinners too.
Old 05-24-09, 10:30 PM   #5
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

get a few DT crankbaits, or just some like 1-3ft cranks, and go over the top of the hydrilla, or face it, and heavy bullet weight a t-rig. theres plenty of bass in there
Old 05-24-09, 10:35 PM   #6
cassidyta

Top water. In shallow ponds, there is not a bad spot to throw out a buzzbait or spook.

If the top water is not working,
A fluke has done well for me if I can swim it through the hydrilla, but I recently switched over to the robo swimbaits for that situation. (they picked up less grass)
I also like to rig a big profile bait (brushhawg, sweet beaver, paca craw, etc...)on a light jig head and allow it to find some of the holes in the hydrilla. I can usually crawl it across the top without any issues.
Old 05-27-09, 09:45 PM   #7
hookset on 3

I just got home from fishin' and the yo-yo worked for me tonight. My new fav is the Yo-Zuri Rattl n Vibe

http://www.yo-zuri.com/Products/Prod...RattlnVibe.htm
Old 05-31-09, 03:34 AM   #8
CCbass

I agree with a spook for topwater, but maybe try a jerk bait over the top of the cover, I use it over submerged weed beds all the time.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 08:15 AM   #9
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisRush View Post
Try ripping rat l traps or the like over the grass...that's a pretty popular and well known technique
This has been the most successful technique for me.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 09:11 AM   #10
Mac2

This is a page of information a fishing buddy and my wife helped me to develop over the years. We’ve caught a lot of bass using the following techniques and presentations.
We fish with spinning outfits, usually 6 pound test mono.
I buy a pack of zoom speedworms in watermelon/red and clip off the tails at the narrow spot just in front of the flapper tail. This makes approximately a 4 inch lure that works exceptionally well. It basically looks like a Senko or Senko knock off, but differs in the following ways:
Not having internal salt, it sinks more slowly. This is key when you have submerged weeds, giving the bait much more exposure to the bass on the slow fall.
It does not have the same action in that being a slow faller, it doesn't have the Senko shudder on the fall, ....but the fish don't mind.
I rig the lure texposed on a 2/0 offset shank worm hook, weightless most often and often use a sidearm skipping cast.
This lure doesn't cost as much as a Senko, yet holds up under use much better. When one end wears out, I rig it in the other end....when that end goes, I save it for wacky rigging. I call the speedworm body in watermelon/red a zoomie, for brevity.
It casts like a bullet, and skips well under log, rock and dock.
I fish it most often in the following manner.....cast to likely cover/structure. Sometimes the fish prefer a "Here I am" skipping cast, at other times a quieter entry seems to work better. I let it fall with bail open, to the bottom, watching line at all times. I wait, initially, for 30 seconds, just letting it remain on bottom. After 30 seconds, gently take out the slack and lift it slowly off bottom about two feet to feel for fish....if nothing on, I tremor the bait by suddenly grabbing the rod handle harder, but trying not to move the rod tip.....this gives the lure a sudden little twitch at the top of the raise and will sometimes elicit a strike, if nothing hits, I let it re-fall and rest again for 20 seconds. Lifting slowly a second time...and pausing at the top of the raise, if nothing takes it this time, I reel in at a moderate pace and cast to another likely spot.
If done properly, this presentation will take one full minute per cast.
An alternate presentation.....developed and perfected by my wife. Using either a regular or skipping cast....she lets the zoomie fall to bottom and lets rest for 15 seconds, then takes one s l o w crank on the reel and lets rest again, with the line draped over her index finger for feel, and watching the line carefully.....after 15 seconds, another s l o w turning of the reel handle and another 15 second pause. She does this until the lure has travelled 8 to 10 feet across bottom, then reels in at a moderate to slow pace, and casts to another likely spot. It should be noted she uses a Zebco 33 reel ( just her personal preference ) so that when reeling s l o w l y, the lure doesn't go far with one revolution of the reel handle, so should you use a higher gear ratio, and want the same results you'll have to maybe take a half or quarter turn.
If weight is needed, I clip pieces of small finishing nails into 3/8 inch lengths and use one inserted in the skin of the lure about even with the hookpoint, but on the side of the lure to maintain a good horazontal fall.....the closer to the hookpoint, the tighter the wobble, the farther out to the side of the worm, the wider the wiggle on the fall. This is a side to side movement, kind of a rocking back and forth. Discovered totally by accident, but beneficial in that the glitter inside the worm body rocking side to side creates a lot of extra flash. Most often, we don't weight, but once in awhile the wind drifts the boat along and the touch of weight added gets the lure down deeper.
Fishing weeds.....bump and fall, bump and fall. I cast to the edge or inside pocket, letting the lure fall until it lodges in a weed. I lift slowly until I feel it bump another weed, then let fall again. I pause 10 seconds each time I lift to let the lure fall farther down in the weeds. Caught some really nice bass doing this along weedbed edges and pockets...... You may be surprised how thick the weeds can get and you can still work it down deep.
In lily pads and reeds, I use a 5 inch zoom lizard in watermelon/red exposed weightless. With the rod tip up, especially in pads it will crawl up on the pads and over the tops. When it comes to an open pocket, I let it sit on the edge of a pad with just the head showing and after 20 seconds or so, I tremor it twice with a little pause between before moving on.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-09, 05:00 PM   #11
bonsaibp
BassFishin.Com Member

Bobby's Perfect Frog walked across the surface( or any frog or rat bait you prefer)
bonsaibp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 05:36 PM   #12
flfireman

ratltraps. My best open water bait.
Old 06-03-09, 06:02 PM   #13
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Money minnow fished painfully slow over flats.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.