Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-11-11, 10:23 AM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 'Home-made' casting plugs

Was doing some casting around the house and yard this morning with a rig I'm working on for my Dad, was wondering what any of ya'll might be using for a casting plug, other than buyinig one from the store?? I'm certainly not against buying a few next time I'm at the store or whatever, just figured somebody smarter than me has figured out a good 'home version'
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 10:31 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Casting plug? As not in an actual lure, just a weight for casting in the yard while setting up a reel? I just tie on a 1/2 barrel sinker (or one of a more appropriate weight to the lure you'll be throwing with a particular combo) and heave away. You could also use a topwater plug, with rounded ends (like a spook) and remove the hooks.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 10:33 AM   #3
Tavery5

Fish, I make mine from tube baits, I poke a small hole with a hook in the end of the tube, then run the line through it, tie a weight or a nut to the line and pull it back snug against the end of the tube, works geat.
Old 09-11-11, 10:48 AM   #4
Fish30114

Well I guess a weight was just a little too obvious, but they are pretty subject to damage if you hit the driveway or street That tube bait idea has some merit Tav, may try that. I was thinking of a piece of wooden dowel with a little eye hook screwed into it, just not sure of how much dowel it takes to get to 5/16 oz say.....but I do have several very accurate scales for lightweight from my archery area of the shop!!

this is actually what I'm talking about:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop.../13377/-577380
Old 09-11-11, 10:56 AM   #5
lilmule

Ive had one just like that only yellow,the dowel rod idea is ok but as well will take damage and takes bit of time to make one.6 in senko,one in less pristine condition,no hook just tie on the senko,also bit more of the shape you will toss many times,and not severely wind resistant,relatively harmless if you hit something,yet weight.
Ps I pour my own so can waste some,actually never wasted just toss in the remelt can.
Open top molds made of plaster of paris make horny toads,flukes .do nothing like a french fry quite well,and plastic ones cost under 10 bucks,havnt spent ten bucks all season for rubber as a result.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:12 PM   #6
Fish30114

Hmmm, just a worm--well maybe--perhaps the obvious answer is just buy some more of the factory made casting plugs! I gave the few I had to a friends son--guess it's one of those things it's just as well to buy the factory ones....
Old 09-11-11, 12:20 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
Well I guess a weight was just a little too obvious, but they are pretty subject to damage if you hit the driveway or street
You're concerned with damaging a 10 cent sinker on the driveway, yet are willing to spend $1.40 on a casting plug that will incur the same damage?

Yep, I'm dumbfounded on that logic.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 12:28 PM   #8
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You're concerned with damaging a 10 cent sinker on the driveway, yet are willing to spend $1.40 on a casting plug that will incur the same damage?

Yep, I'm dumbfounded on that logic.
Not the damage so much Boogie, but the fact that it's gonna be shot out pretty quick. The casting plugs WONT be damaged--thus the point--the casting plugs will last a long time--the ones I gave away recently were 10 years or so old and a little scruffy--but only a little.
Old 09-11-11, 02:18 PM   #9
WaffleJaw

When I first started test casting the rods I built,I used regular old bass sinker weights between the rods ratings,or close to.....My issue with the sinker was its too aerodynamic...Theres no skirt,trailer,appendages to cause drag in a more real situation....Especially on crankbait rods.

Depending on what the rods are gonna be used for I make a suitable test lure....For crankbait rods I use cheap hookless cb lures wrapped in masking tape....For jigs I use bass sinkers pegged with a skirt,or just a clipped hook jig with a common trailer....Been using the same ones for over 1.5 years on both asphalt and grass..They look awful,but I knew what I was getting into.

It just feels and cast more natural imo.
Old 09-11-11, 08:37 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Lifesaver candy..easy to vary weight
Old 09-11-11, 08:55 PM   #11
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Lifesaver candy..easy to vary weight
Prolly need to use the gummy ones for durability

interesting ideas Waffle, I'll think about those!
Old 09-12-11, 09:54 AM   #12
Victor
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Victor

It's easy, just take the desired weight sinker, take a piece of cloth, tie it around and you'll have a safer casting plug
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 11:12 AM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My cats tend to chase whatever I cast in the yard, so to keep them from chewing on lead, I take a wine bottle cork and a dropshot sinker. Drill a hole in the cork the same size as the sinker. push the sinker in until just the line tie sticks out. Put a little epoxy on the weight (be careful not to get it in the line tie). Let it cure, clip your line in, and cast.

BB
Old 09-12-11, 01:13 PM   #14
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
My cats tend to chase whatever I cast in the yard, so to keep them from chewing on lead, I take a wine bottle cork and a dropshot sinker. Drill a hole in the cork the same size as the sinker. push the sinker in until just the line tie sticks out. Put a little epoxy on the weight (be careful not to get it in the line tie). Let it cure, clip your line in, and cast.

BB
I like that idea--pretty easy to get materials as I have about 500 corks that the EIP collects whenever we drink a bottle....
Old 09-12-11, 07:26 PM   #15
oglejust

i just tie on a cheap casting plug if i casting a spinning outfit. if im casting a baitcaster i tie on 2 nuts that i find on the garage floor.. 8mm seems to work fine
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.