Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-24-12, 03:16 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default big mamma bass just wont bite

i have talked about my pond hoping before, well over the weekend fishing, a huge bass, id say 25+ inches swims in front of me, i have my worm already out, so i hope it over, she looks at then swims under the dock i am on. so I keep hoping the worm in front of the dock. She comes out and waits, it is weird it almost like she wants me to leave, then while hoping it for her, a smaller one jumps on, catch it right in front of her. I got to let the other one loose, she leaves. 20 mins later there she is again crusing by on the bottem. I can catch bass on everything in that pond except cranks.

first, off at first i didnt think it was a bass, it stayed on the bottem, i thought it was a carp, a good look at it shows the eye placement and the marking on the sides are just like a bass. It didnt have the usual black spot on the tail like the rest of the bass in this pond.

Second, not wanting to use live bait, anytips, she is weary of me but not spooked. though the weirdest part is she was like waiting for me to leave so she could get under the dock. My brother said he had seen her before comming out of the dock and didnt think it was a bass because it was soo big compared to the others. Any help??
Old 07-24-12, 03:24 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If it was a bass then it probably saw you.....
Old 07-24-12, 03:46 PM   #3
wallywallace

yea but why did it hang around for like 5 mins, i get that you spook bass and they leave, jus odd behavior for a fish
Old 07-24-12, 03:52 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

They might not necessarily leave, but they will get on operation lock jaw. She might not have wanted to the leave her sanctuary if the sun was real high too. Basses got no eye lids to guard from the harmful rays of the sun or so Bobby Bouche said.
Old 07-24-12, 04:37 PM   #5
wallywallace

welp either way, i will beat this pond to death till i catch, she will be my lifes PB if i catch her, well then it is still from a pond and not a lake, well this is a heavily fished pond, so it will be an acomplishment lol
Old 07-24-12, 06:08 PM   #6
aikenyounggun

Usually if the big ones see you but like their little home, they just swim around a little bit and won't bite anything. I would go back, not go out on the dock, and throw to where she lives. Fish it good, but after she knows you are there, not much of a chance catchin her. Least that is my experience with 4+ lbers that are cruising of just chillin.
Old 07-24-12, 06:17 PM   #7
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
They might not necessarily leave, but they will get on operation lock jaw. She might not have wanted to the leave her sanctuary if the sun was real high too. Basses got no eye lids to guard from the harmful rays of the sun or so Bobby Bouche said.
mamma says mamma mamma says haha.
ur best bet is a cloudy day if u can see the fish they can c u.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-12, 06:30 PM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with aiken, try working your lure from shore. Maybe try a surface bait very early in the morning. I've taken some big one on a floating Rattlin Rouge by just twitching it on the surface very early in the morning. And walk softly. Even walking on shore can transmit vibration into the water. A Senko style worm t rigged and allowed to just lay there in front of her with a slight tug now and then might do the job as well.
Old 07-24-12, 08:47 PM   #9
wallywallace

thank you guys, i am so exited now, this dock is welp about 5ft long, but is only about 9 inches off the water, weird dock, though with this pond i have learned how shallow bass can go.
Old 07-24-12, 09:09 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	Welp+_19b176fb6c374811cff75c10586d9775.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	8097
welp!
Old 07-25-12, 09:58 AM   #11
wallywallace

ummmm take the caption off and that is a pretty badass pic.
Old 07-26-12, 02:57 PM   #12
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Is it possible to either wade, or put in a canoe or some other small craft so you could cast from a point parallel with the end of the dock? If so, I would toss something subtle (senko, plastic jerk bait) past the dock and then bring it across the front and back to you, letting it pause in what you think should be the most productive spot. Start on a diagonal, so you are bringing it back at about a 20 degree angle and then gradually move in. If the dock and your line will allow it, have your last cast actually go over the top of the dock so on the retrieve the bait will leave the water, come over the top and then drop down into the water on your side.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:27 PM   #13
Dogmatic

When shore, or dock bound(even on the water), stealth is very important. Never directly walk a bank you are going to fish, especially if you know theyre shallow. Approach and cast from a distance, once you feel you covered that bit of shore, then you can move forward to the bank, and continue to fish parallel to the shore, thus opening up that piece of shore, allowing to move down that bank. Repeat. Fish can feel that vibration, or see you or your line ect. and spook. They might not swim away, but they won't bite. Hope that helps a bit, as for bait...I know some say go subtle, I might try it, but if it doesn't work, maybe try going the other way, she is the biggest fish in the pond.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 09:48 AM   #14
wallywallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW731 View Post
Is it possible to either wade, or put in a canoe or some other small craft so you could cast from a point parallel with the end of the dock? If so, I would toss something subtle (senko, plastic jerk bait) past the dock and then bring it across the front and back to you, letting it pause in what you think should be the most productive spot. Start on a diagonal, so you are bringing it back at about a 20 degree angle and then gradually move in. If the dock and your line will allow it, have your last cast actually go over the top of the dock so on the retrieve the bait will leave the water, come over the top and then drop down into the water on your side.

no waiding or fishin, this is a campground pond, so she gets crzy things threw at her all the time, thans Dog, i am about to head up in a few, lookinf foward to hookin her
Old 07-29-12, 04:17 PM   #15
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
no waiding or fishin, this is a campground pond, so she gets crzy things threw at her all the time, thans Dog, i am about to head up in a few, lookinf foward to hookin her
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????
Old 07-30-12, 05:56 PM   #16
wallywallace

d@mn ken, you like to jump my gun, No waiding or fishing from a boat. there are lots of weekend warriors throwin God knows what at her.

update i did hook a big 4 lber on a 5 in yamasenko, weightless saturday

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.