Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-12, 12:15 PM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default A tribute to the man who taught me to fish.

My grandfather was my surrogate father after my dad died. He taught me to hunt and fish and how to work hard. He was remarkable athlete as a young man and could still swing a mean bush axe in his 80's. He took me bass fishing when I was little which consisted of a purple creme scoundrel with a bend in it on a bare hook behind a swivel and a splitshot. The only other bait we used was a creek chub darter. I watched him catch a lot of big fish and caught bass myself up to 5 pounds with him in the jon boat offering encouragement and instruction as I was fighting each fish. He would have turned 95 today. He left this blue-green orb 10 years ago. I miss him and his personality.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 12:48 PM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

AuFred thanks for the share!
Old 11-09-12, 02:52 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The 10th anniversary of my dad passing was about 2 weeks ago. I can relate completely. Dad started me perch jerking with a cane pole, braided line and a live worm under a bobber and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have some great memories of fishing with him which I cherish. Thanks for the reminder and the trip down memory lane
Old 11-09-12, 06:44 PM   #4
bassinbob

All of us who had someone special or close who taught us how to be a fisherman can relate to your story. I share your feelings.
Old 11-09-12, 09:25 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That was a great share Fred. Brought back many memories of my days spent on the water with my dad. I sure do miss him. But I'm so thankful he was the kind of father that took me fishing whenever he went.
Old 11-09-12, 11:40 PM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
AuFred thanks for the share!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
The 10th anniversary of my dad passing was about 2 weeks ago. I can relate completely. Dad started me perch jerking with a cane pole, braided line and a live worm under a bobber and the rest, as they say, is history.

I have some great memories of fishing with him which I cherish. Thanks for the reminder and the trip down memory lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
All of us who had someone special or close who taught us how to be a fisherman can relate to your story. I share your feelings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
That was a great share Fred. Brought back many memories of my days spent on the water with my dad. I sure do miss him. But I'm so thankful he was the kind of father that took me fishing whenever he went.
As I read your responses it reminded me each of us need to share our passion for the outdoors with the next generation. We each had someone who led us there.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 07:01 AM   #7
joedog

You know I've said or talked about it before but I miss fishing with my mother and she never, ever held a pole in her hand. She would just bring a folding chair and a book and set me free.
I never met a granddad of mine. Father died when I was young. 3 brothers, none fished. Two rich uncles that had waterfront property, didn't fish? (now thats just flat out INSANITY)

The second I had a pole in my hand....I was lost forever!

Who put that pole in my hand, Mr. Hanson!
Old guy who had a garage in the alley across from ours when I was growing up.
Very nice man but he never married and I'm not so sure he was fond of kids. Fact is, most the kids kind of stayed away from him, not that he was mean he just was quiet and reserved and that's all it takes when your a kid.
But I figured out his schedule , he was a hook and bobber crappie angler, and every summer day I'd try to be in the alley when I thought he would be coming home. I had a paper route since I was ten and I'd sit behind my garage and roll the papers hoping I'd catch him going to his car or he'd be loading up his poles.
Ya, you guessed it,,,I ALWAYS had a question. And most of you know, a simple one sentence answer never sufficed or just created another question. (lucky I broke that habit)

I do try to share with any and all kids not just my grandkids.

AUFred, thanks again!
Old 11-10-12, 08:24 AM   #8
WatterBoy

Great thread everyone, thanks for sharing.

I try my best to pass on my passion for fishing.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=33387

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=32969

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=33994

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=33750

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=33010
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.