Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 09-17-13, 10:46 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default spooling a spin cast reel.

I'm embarrassed to even ask this. But here goes. What is the correct way to re-spool a spin cast reel without getting lots of line twist? I've been spooling bait casters for so long, I think I've forgotten how to spool a spin cast reel. I bought a Daiwa Gold Cast 120 for the wife to fish with as she struggles with bait casters. It seems, no matter how I put line on the reel, it twists badly. I've used the pencil trick, and the reeling it directly from the box trick, and laying the spool on it's side trick. Always line twist. I know I used to spool these little buggers way back before I started using bait casters. I know they can be spooled without line twist. Just not sure how?
Old 09-18-13, 06:33 AM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i have always done it on its side . alot depends on bait used and if she close the bailer by hand instead of sing handle
Old 09-18-13, 06:48 AM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
i have always done it on its side . alot depends on bait used and if she close the bailer by hand instead of sing handle
I think your mistaken. I'm talking spin cast reels as in a closed face reel, like the Zebcos. Not a spinning reel. Mine is a Daiwa Goldcast 120 close faced spin cast reel.
Old 09-18-13, 07:23 AM   #4
bassboogieman

I use braid so I don't have much of a line twist issue, but I think... if I remember correctly... and that gets harder every day that a spincaster should be spooled like a spinning reel. With mono and such the spool should be laid flat with the label up and the line should come off the spool in a counter-clockwise manner.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:15 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I use braid so I don't have much of a line twist issue, but I think... if I remember correctly... and that gets harder every day that a spincaster should be spooled like a spinning reel. With mono and such the spool should be laid flat with the label up and the line should come off the spool in a counter-clockwise manner.
I did try braid on the spin cast reel and it wouldn't pick it up after casting. It was very odd and I have no explanation for it. So I switched back to co-poly and tried spooling like you said with the line container on it's side. It started twisting like mad, so I turned the line container over and it started twisting like mad. lol Maybe it would work better if I have someone hold the spool of line in front of the reel with the label facing my reel as I spool it.
Old 09-18-13, 08:16 PM   #6
Marty

With all due respect to the earlier poster, label position means nothing. It varies from line to line and I've seen it vary with different sizes of the same line.

It's been a long time since I've used a spincaster, but the principle is the same as spinning: you want the twist coming off the supply spool to offset the twist from going on the reel spool.

Determine which way the line goes onto the reel spool by looking at the front of the reel. Whether it's counterclockwise or clockwise, lay the supply spool on the floor such that the line comes off it the opposite way than it goes on the reel spool.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 09:45 PM   #7
keithdog

Thanks Marty!
Old 09-20-13, 05:00 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

Marty that is the way you disagree correctly.. "With all due respect" .. Try this at home with the wife ...."With all due respect that dress makes you look fat"

Yep that is the way you keep a marriage. I will need to pay more attention to the label and the rotation of the line on my spools. Think I just put a small project in motion.. are they all wrapped on clockwise.. HMMM I smell a science project..

Capt Mike
Old 09-20-13, 06:17 PM   #9
nofearengineer

A spin cast reel is essentially a spinning reel, except the "bail" is mounted in front of the spool, as opposed to behind it. Fill it exactly like you would a spinning reel, Keith.
Old 09-20-13, 10:17 PM   #10
kennethdaysale

I used to take the spool out of the frame and put it in a drill and then spool it like a baitcaster......also helps to open the "cone" every so often and spray lube of some kind on the little nub thingy. Bottom line though....it's gonna twist during the course of a trip.............thinking back to my youth it's hard to believe how many fish I caught with a 33......wonder what the IPT is? 10?
Old 09-20-13, 10:40 PM   #11
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I used to take the spool out of the frame and put it in a drill and then spool it like a baitcaster......also helps to open the "cone" every so often and spray lube of some kind on the little nub thingy. Bottom line though....it's gonna twist during the course of a trip.............thinking back to my youth it's hard to believe how many fish I caught with a 33......wonder what the IPT is? 10?
Good ideas Ken. I'll have to think about the drill idea. And being it's a low IPT, she uses it mainly for small to medium crank baits, and small to medium spinner baits, although she keeps trying to cast spinner baits on a bait caster. With a casting plug at home she isn't too bad, but on the water with a spinner bait, it's a struggle for her. But she only gets out a couple times a year as she isn't serious about her fishing. So I just try to keep it simple and as pleasant for her as I can.
Old 09-21-13, 04:04 AM   #12
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Any bait like a spinnerbait with a skirt is more difficult with a baitcaster. The aerodynamics are different and wind really effects them. The twist thing is so common with spinning reels & spincasters. I found myself using a swivel on most baits to allow twist to come out while fishing. Whle spooling others are correct the line needs to loop off the spool the same direction the reel picks up.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 08:08 AM   #13
Captmikestarrett

All 8 of my spools of fishing line show it wound on clockwise with the label up..

Capt Mike
Old 10-02-13, 08:43 PM   #14
joedog

I use a line spooler and never have a challenge.
http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Porta...product/13313/
is the one I use.

I didn't pay $40 either, but I've had it for like 10+ years too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.