Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 05-29-08, 02:58 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default "Expelled" by Ben Stein

Hey Guys,

I don't want to get into a religous battle, but I would highly recommend that you check out "Expelled" the movie/documentary that Ben Stein produced concerning how science professors are being treated if they even dare mention I.D. (Intelligent Design) I was amazed at how science and religion are now at war with one another...the great thing about the movie is that it shoots major holes in the Darwin theory, and in fact, through the advancements of science and technology we can now say that the big bang theory is pure crap! I don't want to give the entire documentary away, but the part that really revitalized my faith was when he interviews a Micro-biologist who explains that the odds of a single life cell being developed through the big bang theory is like hitting the jackpot 250 times in a row! The amazing thing about the film is that many public figures (teachers, journalists, doctors) are getting fired for speaking out on the issue
Old 05-29-08, 03:24 PM   #2
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I never understood why it couldn't be both evelution and intelligent design. I'm a long way from being a bible thumper, but I do believe in God. It's no secret that the bible speaks in mediphores, so why couldn't Adam (man) have been a cell. And Eve (woman) was made from Adam's rib, couldn't that be cell division?

As far as the big bang thery... I post on another more, political forum. And there is a religious thread as well as a scientific thread.There are a few that are more scientific minded, and some bible thumpers. I posed the question to one fellow who's in school to be a physicist, "What caused the big bang?" for there to be an explosion or bang there has to be something present to combine or bump together to cause the boom. You can't have a boom from nothing. Of course he said there where ion particals and atoms. I forget the exact terms he used, but they bumped together. I said but at one point there had to be nothing. Going all the way back to before the bang how did those molacules, or ions get there? Something or someone had to put or cause those things to be there, because nothing just pops up out of nothing, that's scientificly impossable. He never would give a complete answer, just that it was too complicated to explain.

(sorry about my spelling, spell checker aint wanting to work for some reason)
1/4 stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 03:33 PM   #3
Jim80

Everything when you are dealing in topic of religon turns into a war , and one of the main problems is that you almost need to operate on a blind faith to fully belive . Truthfully i have meet people that are so wrapped up in faith that if it's not in the bible they don't belive it , one guy actually told me that dinosuars were a hoax . I feel that the main problem with religons say like the catholic church is they are so secretive about the past rather than laying it out and letting people make their own opinion they let their version of the events out . I've never belived that church was needed to have faith in a higher power but i have also always stayed away from orginized worship , not that i am at all nocking it , but when you look back through history the to largest religons in the world have the most blood on their hands from trying to make everyone see it their way (islam & the catholic church ) . Don't get me wrong either i am far from bashing church because i do belive that it makes a difference in some peoples lifes who would otherwise be lost without it I'm just saying that you can't take it at face value because the church holds the key to some of cultures biggest secrets .
Old 05-29-08, 03:35 PM   #4
Jim80

Also on a side note the bible was writen by men just like you and I , and jesus christ was also a man , in the 13th or so century it was voted on that he would from that point be viewed as a deity .
Old 05-29-08, 03:48 PM   #5
1/4 stick

I've argued that point too. It was written by man and translated by man. And we as anglers certainly know of man's apptitude for embelishishment and changing stories around. Also, there were several books written by the prophets that were left out of the bible when man put them together to make the bible. My biggest (some call it an excuse, I call it a reason) reason for avoiding church, or organized religion, is that most tend to pay much less attention to learning about God and Christ, or their higher power, then they pay attention to who the preacher vists most, what ms. fanny the widow is doing with bob the milkman, and how much billy the redneck drank at the bar the other night. I always wonder what they are doing to know so much about the other people in the church. JMHO
Old 05-29-08, 04:09 PM   #6
Jim80

Here is one or two other things to consider in the bible it says " thou shall call no other man father " but what do you call a preist ? Also everyone gives god the credit for their victorys (not that he did't have anything to do with them ) but do you ever here the losing said say , god must have decided it wasn't my time and you also have to take into consideration that as science grows the church sifts their veiws to stay in peoples lifes .
If what they preached was so absolute there would be no need to bend to science's whims but they constantly change their face to stay in the publics hearts , just how much money they take in daily when the plate is passed and even though preists take a vow of poverty how incredible some of the properties that the cardinals reside in are .
Old 05-29-08, 04:49 PM   #7
1/4 stick

I really can't say anything on the cathloc faith. All I really know is babtist, a lot of us just call the preacher by his first name. And my mother's preacher works full time, so does his wife. Alot of thier own money went into his church. But I do think he and his wife are more the rarety than a norm.

And I'm not knocking anybody for going to church, I just think I can do better to prey at home than to sit in a place where I know the people are going to irritate me with thier gossip, and holyer than thou mentality.

I think you're right though, alot of people really misrepresent, and twist things. Sadly it's true for all faiths. Alot of things have been done in the name of Christ that are no worse than the things that musslum extremist are doing today. I'm don't have any sympathy for terrorist, it's wrong no matter who does it. But sit down and look at Christian history and you'll see a lot of simularity. Just look at the crusades, the witch burnings. The list goes on and on.
Old 05-29-08, 05:26 PM   #8
Jim80

i agree completely but you always have to remember that faith is what you make it not what someone else tells you it is and as long as you are the best person you can be , what more can you do .
Old 05-29-08, 10:06 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've been reading of a growing trend of scientists who also happen to be christians who are trying to present the argument that life on this earth, and the earth itself was brought about by intelligent design, however accomplished by God through natural means which are scientific in nature. That makes sense to me. Evolution may very well be true, but I also believe that it was all put into motion by God. Like a well thought out plan. As far as the bible is concerned, I think it's important to remember that it is not just one book, but a collection of books written by men who wittnessed the events they are writting about. It's a history book really. And it really is about faith at that point. God has often worked through men to achive his goals. Moses is just one of many examples. You have to ask, do you believe that these men could have written what they did under the devine insperation of God himself? Thats what I believe. I have no doubt that God is quite capable of working through men to have his word recorded on paper so that other men can read the scriptures and learn about what God wants us to know. Some books were left out, thats true. But why? Perhaps those books were not inspired by God and he manipulated events to keep them out of the bible as we have it today.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 10:22 PM   #10
bamabassman

i am sorry...but i truly believe that there is a GOD. like 1/4 stick said above..... there HAS to be someone who started it all. not SOMETHING.....SOMEONE! and that someone was and is GOD. i am far from being a bible thumper too. i don't go to "church" every sunday or many sundays afor that matter. (i know that i should go more than i do.) but i believe that this entire planet is GOD'S church, and no matter where i am HE is with me. HE is in my heart and soul. everywhere i go, all that i do, HE sees and hears. now i am not the BEST christian, but i do try..well most of the time anyway. so as for the "big-bang", and each and every other theory...bull. GOD did it in HIS own way. and he will do what he wants, when he wants. and we are to worship him the best way we know how. AMEN. amen.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 08:31 AM   #11
Jim80

okay before i get labled as a atheist i just wanted to be clear that i do belive in god , and was just posing questions about modern faith . Also to kinda cement the fact of my belief you can check the national registry for the universal life church , i have been an ordianed minister non denomanational of course since 1999 . i have always viewed faith as more of a private experiance , and being the kind of person that just has trouble taking somethings at face value it lead me to research the churches and faiths around the world , now intelligent design versus the big bang theroy , i think people lean more towards the big bang because of the advancement of society the average person is just so used to seeing incredible things that how far fetched could the big bang be , and i understand the evolutionary chain through human history but to think that everything we are started from a 1 celled creature would just be silly it's like calling the ameoba your cousin . And on that note i'll try to leave this topic alone i promise but keep in mind that the end game of almost every major religon is to teach you to be a better person .

Last edited by Jim80; 05-30-08 at 08:48 AM.
Jim80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 03:29 PM   #12
1/4 stick

I think an insperational email my sister sent to me once said it best.
"If you have doubts about what you do being good or bad,
odds are it's bad.
Have faith in God, believe in him strongly, and do no harm. Then you'll do alright."
Old 05-30-08, 05:37 PM   #13
bamabassman

jim80 i DID NOT MEAN to make you think that was what i thought about you. and 1/4 stick is right on the money pal. i just think that today's people are getting out of sorts kinda. trying to say that we were descended from apes, a single cell and all that stuff. i am just really tired of some of these wackos...ya know? and i ain't one o dem backwoods hellfire and brimstone kinds either. my grandfather taught me to use the GOLDEN RULE. if that don't work, nothing will. treat others as you would have them treat you. and ALL faiths have only to look at that saying and agree with it. with the exception of some radicals in the middle east, hahahahaha. jeff dunham; SILENCE.....i killyou. hahahahaha watched that skit over and over. almost peed in my pants. love it.
Old 05-30-08, 05:45 PM   #14
Jim80

no i was meaning that either i was just making a few points that might have given people the impression and wanted it to be clear were i was coming from . it's just one of those things i guess , even if we did come from a single cell at somepoint someone had to nudge it in the right direction . in other words it all about brotherly love .
Old 05-30-08, 05:51 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

I love Jeff Dun-ham. Saw his Comedy Central special last year, and am waiting on him to come anywhere within driving distance of me.

Check this out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wskT6YfVB6E
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 09:10 PM   #16
1/4 stick

Well if you think about it, it starts from microscopic particls, on up into cells, and up into us. For all we really know, our universe is simply a nasty bacteria or virus floating around in some giants underware. Just one shot of megacilin and, poof, we're dried up and gone. Just a thought...
Old 05-30-08, 09:26 PM   #17
bamabassman

msboy, yea that is funny as heck too. watched all the clips last night on youtube. and 1/4 stick....you're right. hahahaha. kinda like horton hears a who. hahahaha.
Old 05-31-08, 02:05 AM   #18
1/4 stick

LMFAO... yea, we could be the who in someone's draws....
(had to say it..forgive me. I got ta go say a few hail mary's or somethin' now don't I?)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.