Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-14-08, 09:09 AM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Chatter Bait Tips .

As mentioned in another post i recently bought a few booyah boogie chatter baits and while i had hits while fishing them I failed to land any of the fish. I am chalking that to my inexperiance with the bait . So my question is how do you fish a chatter bait ? Like a jig or do you retive it like a spinner or somewhere in between ? thanks in advance for any tips .

Jim
Old 07-14-08, 09:17 AM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

From my experince the chatterbait is a very versitile bait. You can fish it just about anyway you want to it all depends on what the fish want. The steady retrieve well work fine on some days, then theres the jerk jerk pause reel it in bring your rod tip back then let it fall for a second the reel / repeat. Or you can fish it like a jig bouncing it off the bottom pull up feel it vibrate then let it sink then repeat.

There is really no right or wrong. As far as your missed fished go maybe slow your retrieve down or add a trialer hook to it.
Old 07-14-08, 09:40 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I like to run it about 4-8 inches below the surface of the water, and every now n then give the rod a pull or twitch to make it dart.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 10:07 AM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Like a jig or do you retive it like a spinner or somewhere in between ?

Jim
"Somewhere in between". I use a lift, swim and fall retrieve. If I were going to fish it like a jig, I'd use a jig. Jigs hang up less than a Chatterbait.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 03:52 PM   #5
Fish2win

Fish fast and shallow, slow roll down deep or just like a jig with a pig on the back. It works all three ways. It may replace a spinnerbait in my arsenal and thats saying a lot since I build my own spinnerbaits. Use different skirts or trailors for different applications.Fish2win
Old 07-26-08, 12:40 AM   #6
Bmuskin

Bought some of the kits clearenced at Dicks. I have only made a few casts with them and caught nothing yet. I will have to try them in earnest.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 09:18 AM   #7
3dkicker

When I first started using them I missed a few fish too. I learned to wait just a second and allow the fish to swim away with it. I haven't had a problem since.
Oh, how to use it. Either/Or. I've caught them swimming it and dropping it.
Old 07-26-08, 11:37 AM   #8
WTL

I lost many fish on them the other day. But they could have been mostly bluegill, I was using the small one up around shallow sand bars and laydowns.

I had heard it said in the past, and I bought one at walmart that confirmed it - if you by the name brand chatterbait sharpen the hooks! The hook the way it came was as dull as any I have seen on a lure in years.

The one thing I will say I like about them is they have a good vibration, a feel, like a big spinnerbait. It keeps you in contact with the lure.
Old 07-27-08, 07:58 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Chatterbaits have become one of the baits I like to use. I have found that a Gambler swimBlade does better for me when the fish are keying in on baitfish that are closer to the waters surface. I also like the action or darting that the SwimBlade does. When the fish are more slective I will use the original. In my mind the original doesnt dart as much as the gambler. They all have great vibration. When I am fishing more like a standard jig is when the orignial comes into play.
Old 07-27-08, 01:44 PM   #10
Bmuskin

Anyone ever use a trailer hook with these? I heard it recommended due to hook quality and short striking. Does it affect the action? As I mentioned earlier I really haven't given these a chance at all. I have been doing well with rubber/plastics and one of my many motto's is don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-08, 03:56 PM   #11
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I always use a trailer hook
Old 09-09-08, 11:40 AM   #12
recon3295
BassFishin.Com Member

Am I the only one that ever noticed that the plastic trailers that come in the Chatterbait "kit" are junk? Mine got all oily and stuck together or fell apart after only 1 or 2 uses. NOT impressed.
What would you recommend for use as a triler on a Chatterbait? And I don't know what's up, but I have yet to even get a strike while using a Chatterbait. What techniques or situations are best for this particular bait? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-08, 12:45 PM   #13
Fish2win

I use super fluke Jrs most of the time. I have used a pork No 11 at night when jigging it as apossed to cranking it.The super fluke gives it a different action plus it gioves thefish a better target. Fish2win
Old 09-09-08, 12:50 PM   #14
Abbeysdad

Amazing to me how many of those little nuisance fish can hit a bait and have it feel much bigger at the rod. I'm sure there are many times I've tried to set the hook when a little bugger was just toying with my bait. (Some of these little guys 'peck' real hard, but couldn't get the bait in their mouth for another few years!)
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 04:16 PM   #15
cassidyta

I have been using curly tail grubs on the end of mine. The chatter bait has become one of my favorate baits. I have had a lot of luck lately tossing them against the base of the plants. I let them sink and twitch them like I would a jig in a bed. Then I riase the tip firmly and let it fall once more before reeling.
Old 09-09-08, 04:33 PM   #16
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

i have had mine for a while and i think their junk.my tip throw them in the fire. but other people take the skirt off and use differant plastics with it.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 08:12 PM   #17
Rebbasser

I see the "Texas Secret" hasn't been revealed yet, so:

Take off the skirt and replace it with a Lake Fork Magic Shad. I've seen more than a few heavy sacks caught on this setup.
Old 09-11-08, 09:40 PM   #18
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

I have had my best luck with a chatterbait, slow cranking it over the top of grass. then burning it a few feet, then slow cranking again.... always over the top of the grass....

I also like using it across points, before I move on, after fishing a Crig.
Old 09-11-08, 10:14 PM   #19
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
There is really no right or wrong.
i disagree, every way I fish it is wrong.....I've yet to catch a fish on one

my advice, cut the darn thing off your line. tie a crank bait, fluke, or zoom speed craw.
Old 09-12-08, 12:26 PM   #20
dodgeguy

imho it is one of the most over hyped pieces of junk out there.it ain't no senko!!!i do much better with a jig or spinnerbait.
Old 09-13-08, 09:16 AM   #21
Jim80

Since this was first posted I have caught a few dinks with the chatterbait , though lately most of my fishing has been done with plastics . I fell into a pattern of bringing the chatterbait steadily back to me a couple inches off the bottom and then the next cast keeping it a couple inches below the surface , still a great bait imo and it has a great action , have only really had luck with it close to dark though when the vibration it gives off lets the fish key in on it .

Jim
Old 09-13-08, 10:29 AM   #22
Fish2win

Wait until the fall bite starts.Fish2win
Old 09-13-08, 10:32 AM   #23
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish2win View Post
Wait until the fall bite starts.Fish2win
I'm looking foward to it , my dad just got a 2 person boat and I have been working like 85 hours a week so in the fall i should have sometime to fish .
Old 09-13-08, 11:43 AM   #24
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I feel every bait will catch something at one time or another.Just keep working with it.It just might be your lucky day.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 09:00 PM   #25
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

I just watched one of the Ultimate Bass fishing shows the other day in which Mark Davis put on a clinic with the Chatter Bait. He lost the match but it was still a clinic. He didn't start catching his fish on the Chatter bait until he started retreiving it in an erratic manner. He would swim it, twitch his rod, stop, and start again. Usually he would get the hit on the pause, then just load up his rod. Hope this helps, I know I plan on using it this weekend in a tournament.
bhfishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.