Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-12-08, 01:03 AM   #26
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySpear View Post
I noticed alot of people like the Heddon Torpedo. I haven't fished it yet. Do you walk the bait or reel it straight in & pause it?
Since my ability to walk a bait is a disaster, I go with the reel and pause technique. This has worked for me at almost any time of the day.
Old 08-12-08, 02:32 PM   #27
RandySpear
BassFishin.Com Member

Cassidy I just bought one today. Will be out tomorrow giving it a shot. I'll try the stop & start method you described. As far as walking the dog, the key is to make sure you have slack in the line with your rod tip pointed downward. For every 2-4 snaps of the rod give your reel a half turn. It was a bit difficult for me to learn in the beginning but if you stay with it, you'll bring your topwater game to a whole new level. I'm by no means an authority on subject, but for the last few years i've fished almost exclusively topwater baits and I can't get enough of it.
RandySpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 11:16 PM   #28
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Randy, I cast the torpedo out and lets it sit still while ripples calm a few seconds. Then I usually work the bait with a twitch, pause, twitch twitch pause retrieve. Some days the bass like longer pauses than other days. Often my hits will come while the torpedo sits calmly in the water. Other times the sftike comes when the lure is activly moving. You just have to experiment.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 05:27 PM   #29
RandySpear
BassFishin.Com Member

Keithdog how do you work the rattling rogue as a topwater bait? i have a couple but have only used them as a kerkbait.
RandySpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 09:24 AM   #30
recon3295
BassFishin.Com Member

Floating Rapala is the best in my opinion. I have probably cought more fish on a No.5 floating Rapala than any other lure in my tacklebox.
Old 08-25-08, 04:51 PM   #31
Wishing2BFishing

A big black Jitterbug. I usually upgrade the trebles with some Gamakatsu's size 4 and add split rings as well. I love that Jitterbug on lakes but don't fish it much on rivers because the current seems to take away from the blug-blug-blug sound.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 09:28 AM   #32
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
If this is a poll like question to find out what you are planning to purchase then the answer is Iīve had "luck" with any top-water available in the market with one exception, buzz-baits, they donīt produce for me, I can count the times with my fingers I've caught fish with with buzz-baits.

Why they donīt produce for me ? I have no idea
Take your buzz baits and go fishing and leave the other baits at home. Use a rod with a good backbone and a soft tip. If it is the only bait you have with you there is no way to give up, other than going home.

You will figure new ways to use the lure and will more than likely get some strikes and maybe a few fish. Every pro on the tour will tell you that it is one of the best baits to find fish. You can cover water fast and a buzz bait catches small fish to giants.

Any bait that you have problems fishing and want to learn how to use...take it fishing with no other baits in the boat. You will learn how to use that bait. Look at each bait as a tool and used for different situations. You could probably could undo a screw with your favorite claw hammer, but it is certainly not the best choice. The same goes for baits.

Good Luck,

Buddy
Old 08-26-08, 11:01 AM   #33
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy_fuentes View Post
Take your buzz baits and go fishing and leave the other baits at home.
No offense Buddy, but I think this is bad advice. Like telling a fly fisherman to only ever take one fly to the stream.
I have had occasion to toss buzz baits repeatedly with no takers at all - switch to another bait and get hit after hit. Buzz, spinner, jerk, swim, plastics (worms, lizards, crawdads, tubes...) ... I think it's always good to have at least a modest selection of different baits so that if there's no interest in one, you have options other than waste the day or just go back home.

Yes, alter the presentation before ruling out using a particular bait that day, but unless yer just practicing yer castin, always have some different bait options if yer looking to catch fish.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:05 AM   #34
Lilmoosecountry

[QUOTE=buddy_fuentes;202814]Take your buzz baits and go fishing and leave the other baits at home. Use a rod with a good backbone and a soft tip. If it is the only bait you have with you there is no way to give up, other than going home.

You should never rely on just one bait. Regardless of the conditions. I cast a drop shot allot lately. Seam to do pretty good. But it never alway's cleans up the fish in that spot. So once that bite ends. I dig out the t-rig. I usually will alway's take a couple of more. But there is good advice at the same time in what you said. You should be come familair with the limitations of that bait. Where there is limitations you need a proven second bait. I know guy's who are worm fishermen like my self. But there difference is that's all they put in the deck of cards. I on the other hand adapt to use other things when the worm bite is not there. Trust me i have allot of worms. But i also have various different types of other baits. Never take just one bait for granted. As far as the buzzbait is your primary bait. Try cleaning up with a devil's horse after the buzzbait fall off. I am willing to bet you'll catch fish that did'nt hit that buzzbait.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 12:13 PM   #35
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Last night I was fishing Buzzbait and all sort sof topwater. Catching all kinds of dinks with a senko. saw some boils near a log and couldn't get anything on a buzzbait. Pulled out a Bass a reno...probally the oldest lure I have. Here was the result. Couldn't get another hit on topwater but I will take this one.
A little over 24 in length and 17 in girth. Should be well over 8 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	August 25 pics 004.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	2604   Click image for larger version

Name:	August 25 pics 006.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	2605  

Last edited by Bmuskin; 08-27-08 at 02:44 PM.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 01:21 PM   #36
MississippiBoy

Sorry, B...calculator says 21 x 17 is 6.25 pounds. 22 x 17 is 6.86 pounds.
Definitely a nice fish. Bigger than I've ever caught. Not quite gonna make the 8 lbs mark, though.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 02:44 PM   #37
Bmuskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Sorry, B...calculator says 21 x 17 is 6.25 pounds. 22 x 17 is 6.86 pounds.
Definitely a nice fish. Bigger than I've ever caught. Not quite gonna make the 8 lbs mark, though.
oops I meant 24 inches not 21. I caught one that was that size a few weeks ago. It was actually 24.3 inches. The cheap sring scale I had said 8 lbs 8 ounces but I am not sure about that.
You are right though still a nice pig.
Old 08-27-08, 02:55 PM   #38
Bmuskin

22"L x 16"W x 13.5"D
Size of bag she is laying on.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-08, 01:11 PM   #39
RSAbassboy
BassFishin.Com Member

Rapala's Skitter pop, spook and tiny torpedo i have had great success on the devil's horse aswell

Last edited by RSAbassboy; 09-10-08 at 04:36 PM.
RSAbassboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 04:29 PM   #40
Lilmoosecountry

Take a look at this thing & all it does. Like it just don't let the price break your wallet. But i have to say it's a cool concept. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...TOP-MXPOD.html
Old 09-10-08, 04:42 PM   #41
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Take a look at this thing & all it does. Like it just don't let the price break your wallet. But i have to say it's a cool concept. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...TOP-MXPOD.html
Very cool concept, I wont be filling my box with them
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 05:11 PM   #42
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

nevermind the bait, the reel he was using was a diawa ito monoblock. $699 new on ebay. get ya some of that!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.