Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-02-10, 07:02 PM   #1
Nell Huffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help with bass

I have a ditch about 25 feet wide and 2 miles long on my property that has a water level that goes up and down with the river level. Eighteen inches to thirty inches deep. Most places very very clear and some places a little murkey. There is a small amount of flow but not like a creek. Also beaver dams. There are plenty of bass, plenty of feed (crawdads and frogs) as I am the only one that fishes it. There is only a few places where there is any open water of twenty to thirty feet and I can always catch bass here. Lots of little ones 4 to 6 inches and the average 15 inches. I have two questions that I need help with.

1. Will a bass grow large in this small and this shallow a water?

2. There are lots of open water a foot across (think dinner plate) the rest is covered with grass, moss, etc. Can I expect to fine bass here? I have tried to drop a jig here but with no luck. As expected I am not an experienced bass fisherman. How does one fish this type of place?

3. If there is bass in the open water should there not be bass here in the weeds and grass?

Any help would be great as I love to eat and catch them.

Many thanks!!!
Nell Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 08:21 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Huffman View Post
I have a ditch about 25 feet wide and 2 miles long on my property that has a water level that goes up and down with the river level. Eighteen inches to thirty inches deep. Most places very very clear and some places a little murkey. There is a small amount of flow but not like a creek. Also beaver dams. There are plenty of bass, plenty of feed (crawdads and frogs) as I am the only one that fishes it. There is only a few places where there is any open water of twenty to thirty feet and I can always catch bass here. Lots of little ones 4 to 6 inches and the average 15 inches. I have two questions that I need help with.
1. Will a bass grow large in this small and this shallow a water?
2. There are lots of open water a foot across (think dinner plate) the rest is covered with grass, moss, etc. Can I expect to fine bass here? I have tried to drop a jig here but with no luck. As expected I am not an experienced bass fisherman. How does one fish this type of place?
3. If there is bass in the open water should there not be bass here in the weeds and grass?
Any help would be great as I love to eat and catch them.
Many thanks!!!

First off welcome to the forum!

Yes, there will be bass in the cover. Bass like any kind of things they can get in, and around. It provides good ambush points, and camo for them to feel safer, and get out of the sun into the shade.

Chances are, if you're catching bass in open water, it's either because that's where the food is, or their's some kind of bottom structure (points, creek channel, drop off, etc.).

I would DEFINITELY suggest fishing the cover. Depending on what kind of cover you're fishing (you said grass, as you'll probably find out their's literally thousands of kinds of grasses). But what ever kinda grass you got, I find that a good lure to use around them is a senko, spinnerbait, and buzzbait if it's on the top, or close to it.

I could defiantly give you some more info if you posted some pics of the place, so we could see what kinda stuff exactly we're talking about there!
Old 06-02-10, 10:08 PM   #3
bamabassman

i too think the bass will be or are already lagre, depending on where in the U.S.A. you are. tell us what state and so forth if oyu don't mind.
now one thing i will tell you is to get as many of the beaver out as oyu can. to many will hurt.
as for the grass areas.....FROG!
Old 06-10-10, 07:46 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i too think the bass will be or are already lagre, depending on where in the U.S.A. you are. tell us what state and so forth if oyu don't mind.
now one thing i will tell you is to get as many of the beaver out as oyu can. to many will hurt.
as for the grass areas.....FROG!

I second that emotion. That was the first recommend that popped into my mind when he named them as one of the main food groups the bass are feeding on.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.