Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-05, 03:51 AM   #1

Default high dollar tackle or cheap

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D so do you use high dollar stuff or cheap crap
Old 02-26-05, 08:20 AM   #2
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9
Default Re: high dollar tackle or cheap

Depends on which tackle you're talking about (lures, line, rods/reels, hooks, swivels, etc.)
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 09:43 AM   #3
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

Use the best quality tackle you can afford.

I use a bit of both. Â*At one time I could afford to spend $100.00 for a reel, and another $100.00 for a rod. Â*A divorce, and a remarriage to a woman who likes to fish, put me in a postition where I wasn't willing to plop down that kind of money for fishing tackle. Â*And since my wife likes to fish, I have to buy two of everything. Â*

There is a lot of good tackle on the market at a reasonable price. Â*The quality isn't as good as top of the line stuff, but it's good enough to fish for bass with. Â*A bass is not a Marlin. Â*It's not going to put a real strain on your tackle. Â*Unless you're really GOOD, the average bass you're going to catch is going to weigh about a pound.

I think one of the best bargans in the reel dept is the Zebco Rhino baitcasting reel. Â*I've sung it's praises here for a year or more. Â*My wife has one she's used for about two years, and she just loves it. Â*I like it enought that I recently bought two more of them. Â*Another example I recently bought a Shakespear combo at Wally World. Â*Twenty-six, ninety-five for the combo. Â*It's not great, but it will do the job. Â*The rod is probably best as a crankbait or rattle-trap rod since it's sort of limber, but it's good for that role.

For Rods, I'm willing to spend a bit more, but you don't really have to. Â*I found that Bass Pro Shops has a really good line of graphite rods for $29.95. Â*You go on up from there with a lot of offerings for under $100.00 and several for under $50.00.

For line I don't think you can find a better line than Bass Pro Shops Excel. Â*I used to be a Trilene man. Â*Trilene is a good line, but a few years ago I started using Excel for "fun fishing". Â*Figured I'd switch to Trilene when money was one the line. Â*I never did. Â*I was so impressed with the Excel, I've never gone back. Â*How much? Â*5000 yards for 23.00 bucks 14, lb test. Â*More for lighter, a bit less for heavier. Â*I've tried some of the braids, never seen any reason to use them really but some people like them.

In short, I don't think most fishermen are skilled enough to take advantage of the "edge" top of the line tackle will give you. Â*Inexpensive is not the same as "cheap". Â*Shop carefully and you can find some real (no pun intended) bargans.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 12:19 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Medium. I love Bass Pro Shops Extreme reels which I get when they are on sale for $49, and AllStar rods for about the same price.

The area NOT to go cheap is your line. Go with cheap line and you will eventually pay for it.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 12:58 PM   #5
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

You get what you pay for in the world of Bass fishing
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 01:52 PM   #6

I like shopping WalMart for last year's model stuff. When Shimano put out the new Coriolis I found the old model Cuirado for around $40.00 on a clearance rack. Another WalMart had 6'6" MH Fenwick rod from 2 years ago for 12.99. Brand new that rig would have been about $300. I'm tellin ya...WalMart clearance rack.
Old 02-26-05, 02:33 PM   #7
bassbum
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassbum

I like a mixture of both!! I love to shop for sales, discount fishing lures and such. I also like to buy things that i can't afford and do from time to time. I have alot of what i don't need and not enough of what i need!!! That's the gr8 thing about being a girl

Sandra
bassbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 02:40 PM   #8
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly

I go with the high dolar equiptment all the time. line,reels,rods,lures you name it. I have two curados,two calcuttas,two chronarchs 50mg's,one chronarch ch100b,and one teamdaiwa fuego.
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 03:31 PM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

The reason I asked the question was that a lesser priced substitute many times accomplishes the same thing as paying top dollar.
For example, there many good copies of the Senko on the market that work with all the presentations and lure manipulation that a Senko does. It may be tops at the horizontal fall, but not by much. Your choice - pay 65 cents a worm that lasts for one fish or a good copy that lasts for 8 or more and cost less than half.

For large or heavy lures, a $45 casting reel with a good brake and ratio, will do as well as a $100 reel. The same for rods. Granted, the guides may not hold up for a decade, but by that time I've already snapped 4" off the tip.

Line is where it gets tricky. Of course there is mono junk out there as well as good mono and flourocarbon. Higher pricing among the top-of-the-line braids, Â*is not justified if one changes line often.

Never cut costs on hooks! You get what you pay for.

Even regarding the supposedly high priced tackle - half off, is not always a good deal. Cyberflex lures are a buck a bag at Walmart and went for $3 for a few baits. All the hype still couldn't push regular plastics aside. Matzuo cranks were sold by Bass Pro at $6 ea. the first year in the catolog. They couldn't hold a candle to Yozuri and BPS cleared them out at $2 ea. (poor action from my own experience and not as good as the classic cranks made by Bomber, Heddon, Norman, Bagley etc) for half the cost.

The average angler doesn't need the highest quality tackle that a pro or TX angler might require and doesn't need to pay top dollar, in my experience.

The reason most people lose fish is because of human error, not equipment failure or lesser quality equipment. How many rarely check for hook sharpness, line frays or knot strength? Â*How many match the rod and reel to the lure or presentation used? How many don't watch their line or position their hands for the best leverage when setting the hook? etc. etc. Â*You could have the most expensive set up in the world and yet be defeated by your own weaknesses or your tackles weakest link.

Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 04:45 PM   #10
fishin_hillbilly
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishin_hillbilly

I like to use the high dollar equiptment because they are a joy to use.
fishin_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 07:22 PM   #11
housework101
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to housework101

I am a deal shopper,today at walmart was a prime example.I picked up a 7'quantom tour edition mh rod for $15.00 reg price was $59.00.
Also found two v series diawa's for $39.00 reg price $119.00.
But I have also paid full price for lots of things cause they looked cool at the time.
I agree about the hooks,good ones aren't that expensive and cheap ones are worthless.
housework101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 08:05 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

the grand total i have spent in walmart for tackle is 39 bucks in the last 3 years. i bought one reel. first time the bait monkey got unleashed in there. besides they have the cheapest moter oil you can get. 4.95 a quart valoline 5w30 full synthic.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 09:40 PM   #13
TheBassMan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to TheBassMan

Earthworm is absoluty 100% right. You get what you pay for. You buy a $300 reel and it will fish like a $300 reel should

Catch em up
Brian
TheBassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-05, 10:20 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

if it doesnt fall apart then i use it. it really doesnt matter to me how much it is as long as it is reasonably priced.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 12:59 AM   #15
singerloo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to singerloo

Some cheap plastics aren't bad...

...as far as other stuff goes, pretty high dollar is going to have to do.

seaphantom
singerloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 05:44 PM   #16
bassmaster111
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassmaster111

depends on what it is
bassmaster111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-05, 08:11 PM   #17
bassguy2004

I go in the middle of the road I guess. I spend $79 dollars for a Cabela's Fish Eagle ll rod and $100 dollars for a Quantum Accurist reel because that's what I like and they feel comfortable in my hands. These items fish like high dollar equipment. I suppose if I could afford GLoomis rods, I would buy them but........
Old 02-28-05, 08:05 AM   #18
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

i fish fenwick rods, Eagle Gt for 50.00$ i use quantum reels for 30-50$ at walmart. I use Stren line, but just recently made the Switch to Yo zuri hybrid line, walmart had it on sale for 5 bucks for 600 yards, I buy the crankbaits at walmart that are made by heddon and bomber for 1.89$. I buy the worms that flw makes for 2.00$ somtimes i go crazy and buy 3x just because they last so long, I will also buy the little bass plastic kits that you can purchase from walmart for around 10.00$ I buy a tackle box at the end of the year, i recently got a plano 737 which normally sells for 40$ for 11$

When you're 15 and you love fishing more than anything and you dont have alot of money I go for what i consider medium priced rods,reels,and line, but as for baits, whatever walmart has on sale, or lasts a long time 3x in example i had a ribbontail worm last me the whole summer, which was 50 plus fish.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 10:52 AM   #19
gonefishy2002
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gonefishy2002

I use rods and reels in the $80-$120 range. I think this is the sweet spot in price/performance/value. Sure, you can spend more and get a little lighter or smoother but the next step up after this price range is when the law of diminishing returns starts to really show it's teeth. ;D
You can get quality products for less than this but you can get alot of junk as well. There are few $50 reels worth $50(but there are a few ).Super high end tacke is, I'm sure, a joy to own and use and if I were made of money I probably would too, but mid-high tackle is what I use now.
gonefishy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 04:02 PM   #20
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Since I was 10 yrs old I saw these "hot shot" 16 year old fishermen up the road. They were using these ABU's on Lews Speed Sticks and I got hooked.
When I turned 14 I bought (at that time) the most expensive reel on the market, a Lews BB1 Speed Spool, and that baby costs 64 $. Now that the good 'ol bait monkey has returned, I get good stuff that I know works well.
200$ for a reel and about the same for a rod.
Quality line, good hooks and of course good baits.
A Ranger boat with high quality equipment, and the best partners that I can find.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 12:58 PM   #21
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

T/T- my point is that if you pay 19.99 for a rod, you can't expect it to perform like a solid rod should. There is a difference between that cheap rod and say a 250.00 Loomis or Kistler Helium.

I use Shimano Sustain reels, these are expensive reels but they are good. For about 200.00 per, I can live with that price. As we spend more money and get up to say the price of a Stella, I'm not sure I can justify as why that reels costs 250.00 more than the one's I'm using. i'm not sure that any 300.00 reel is truly worth it although it definately will outperform a bargain bin reel in all areas.
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 02:41 PM   #22
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

That was my point earlier Gamarama. Yes, top of the line tackle is nice, but I hate to see someone young or someone who's just getting started asking for tackle advice and being told to get a $250.00 reel, and $200.00 rod. Then being told you have to have a half dozen of them. Best way in the world to run a beginning fisherman off. There is a lot of low, to medium priced tackle that will do the job. As you gain experience you might or might not want to invest in the "high priced spread". Get the best tackle you can afford, but don't spend the baby's milk money on it.

Don't laugh. I've seen people do it.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 06:43 PM   #23
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

"You get what you pay for in the world of Bass fishing"

I fullheartedly disagree. I have spent $4 on a Rattle Trap that couldn't catch a fish for my life. A $2.50 knockoff caught a fish about once every 5-6 casts in the same conditions.

It is all about brands. Look at reels! $140 for a fancy Shimano reel... $30 for a Shakepseare Ugly Stik and reel... and IMO the Ugly Stik is the better setup.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 06:52 PM   #24
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ya, i dont have much money to by tackle with and all the cheap lures i buy work just as good as higher priced ones. so like in my other post it doesnt matter as long as its not unreasonably priced. the only exeption to that is hooks. buy the more expensive ones. trust me. and the rod and reel setup i have is a pflueger trion spinning combo for 60 bucks. not to expensive and ive put it through hell and it still works as good as the first time i got it.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-05, 07:04 PM   #25
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

"The joy of owning fine tackle is so great that it is often difficult to distinguish between basic needs and the urge to possess that which delights the sensitivities."
"I have preached against indulgence, but in truth I am a sentimental moron when it comes to fishing tackle."
"How can one find adequate words to describe the sweet feel of a rod that makes casting an esthetic delight, yet which adds little to one's ability to catch fish?"

~ Harold Blaisdell, from The Philosophical Fisherman

zman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.