Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-21-06, 09:31 PM   #1
HulaPopr
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default $50 rod

OK, I'm looking to buy a new rod and reel. I was looking at a combo from BPS, the pfleuger echelon/bionic blade, but I'm not so sure about it. I was wonderring if anybody's got a suggestion for a good fairly sensitive 7' rod. I'm looking for something on the heavy end of the MH spectrum or on the light end of the H spectrum ,kinda inbetween. Anybody know of a good rod for about $50-60?
HulaPopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 07:53 AM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

what will you be using this rod for?jigs,spinnerbaits,worms?
Old 06-22-06, 11:53 AM   #3
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

A Berkley Series One is a all around nice rod, found at Wally World for 49.95.....
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 05:50 PM   #4
HulaPopr

I was looking to use it for jigs, c-rigs, and I've heard a lot of people like to use rods like that for spinnerbaits too, so I was buying it for that as well.
Old 06-22-06, 05:53 PM   #5
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

quite honestly, dollar for dollar and warranty wise, I find scheels rods to be better than the rest.. Clearly im not going to spend 300 on a loomis, but i have some st croix, and I think the scheels guide series is better.. the tournament series is about 50-70 bucks and comes with a LIFETIME warranty, if you slam it in a car door they will replace it, cant beat that.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 06:21 PM   #6
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

You can get a St Croix Triumph from Gander Mountian for 59.00 right now and an Okuma reel for about 40.00. It is a great combo that will not break the bank and last a long time. Good Luck.
91W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 07:35 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymomisbecky
quite honestly, dollar for dollar and warranty wise, I find scheels rods to be better than the rest.. Clearly im not going to spend 300 on a loomis, but i have some st croix, and I think the scheels guide series is better.. the tournament series is about 50-70 bucks and comes with a LIFETIME warranty, if you slam it in a car door they will replace it, cant beat that.
Clearly ST Croix has different price points. Since you won't spend $300 on a G-Loomis(I spent over that on a GLX) you won't spend $300+ on a St Croix Legend either I'm not familiar with the Scheel rods But I guessing they are a better price point manufacturer. All I will say is that there are lots of rods out there in the price range you are looking for HULA, and you definately need a MH at least for what you are planning(that would be my choice). Either save up for a great rod, or find one you like. I don't buy rods on-line, unless it's for a model I already have or have seen/held/jiggled/picked apart. I however spend a lot more on rods than 90% of the Bass fisherman out there. Doesn't mean I'm better, but my equipment is LOL

Lizards
Old 06-22-06, 11:31 PM   #8
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are looking for a good rod with nice sensitivity for $50, take a look at the Fenwick Eagle GT. For a low end rod it has great sensitivity and is extremely light. I had a SC Triumph and it's sensitivity was terrible. I would only buy one of those rods to use for spinners and cranks, any bait that you don't have to "feel". I have owned SC, Fenwicks, BassPro, and Daiwa rods, and so far Fenwicks are the best and most sensitive for their price. Just something to consider.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 06:16 PM   #9
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

man I wish I coulda found a series one at Wal-Mart for 49.95. Mine was 89.

I can say that a Series One is an excellent rod that is very sturdy and nice looking. They are also super light(in my opinion..feel just like a Loomis or a St. Croix) and have excellent sensitivity..
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-06, 07:53 PM   #10
Hawgin'
BassFishin.Com Member

My buddy fishes only series one rods (sponsorship deal), and he absolutely loves them. He gave me a flippin stick, and I personally did not like it. I thought it had no sensitivity. I have messed around with his other rods, and for the most part I like them. I would recommend them as good rods, but don't waste your money on their flippin sticks. With that being said, I am a full convert to Fenwick rods. I still have 2 St. Croix's that I use simply because I see no need to replace 2 perfectly good rods, but I will only spend my money going forward on Fenwicks.
Hawgin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-06, 10:00 PM   #11
HulaPopr

OK, went to BPS the other day and I think I know what I'll get. http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
on a
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
or a bionic blade rod maybe...not 100% sure, but I've got a good idea. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-06, 10:04 AM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

hula,personally i would not use the same rod for spinnerbaits as i would for jigs and c-rig.i use heavier rods for jig/c-rig than i do for spinnerbaits.you can probably get away with it but i wouldn't suggest it.i use a random jumble of rods.i have brownings,daiwas,extremes..you get it.i can't really recommend a rod just say that maybe a heavy for jigs/c-rig and a MH for spinnerbaits.i have no loyalty to any brand.if i pick up a rod and i like it and the price is right i buy it.get the rod that feels good for YOU.
lightening rods are a good value for a decent rod.i have quite a few.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.