Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-23-06, 04:29 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pond fishing

Bass Ponds
Many of North America's small ponds are home of our biggest and most densely populated bass. Here I will tell you the tricks in landing that lunker from small, and often overlooked, ponds.

Farm Ponds:
Farm ponds are usually a very small and featureless lake filled by runoff or it may be connected to a stream. On average they are around 15 feet deep throughout the whole pond with no shallow areas, In these type of ponds largemouth bass will usually stick to the very edge of the water. On sunny days, the larger bass will be sticking to the side with the most shade. For example, if the sun is at the east, then fish the east side of the pond which will give the most shade due to long grass or other land-grown vegetation. Since farm ponds are mostly featureless, look for any irregularities that exist. If there is an overhang tree providing shade, work the area very thoroughly because without a doubt there will be a big old bucketmouth waiting there to ambush its prey. If there is other cover (ex. flooded brush), again, fish it thoroughly. The thing about farm ponds is that cover is scarce and if you know of some, then the largest bass in the pond will be close by. If you do not notice any cover you should cast parallel to the edge of the pond. Since farm ponds are not usually a tourist to fishermen and are mostly hiding in the middle of nowhere they get fished seldom. Therefore, the bass are usually very active and will be willing to strike a wider variety of lures and colours.

Mine Pits:
When operations cease in strip-mine pits they often fill with runoff and can become excellent fishing areas for largemouth bass. The colour of the water can be as clear as clear can be and this may cause difficulties in bass fishing. Also, for some reason, they are full of vegetation. Some have sharp drop offs right off the edge, and others generally slope into the deepest part of the lake. For mine pits that have a general slope, clear water, and lots of weeds, I usually start the day off with a natural, or natural, coloured plastic worm rigged texas style with the lightest sinker I can get away with. What I like to do is throw it ut straight, let it sink to the bottom, and twitch it back towards the shore, or boat. You must reel in a little faster than you would normally fish a plastic worm in clear water. Long casts are a must in general sloping, clear water because it is, most often, a very shallow slope meaning 5-10 feet of water, where the big boys hang out, may be a fairly long distance from shore. Also, the bass in the shallows can see you and may spook them out of being catchable.
For mine pits that have deeper drop offs, clean, and full of weeds I turn to the texas-style slug-go with no bullet sinker. I will flip this lure into open pockets, let it touch bottom and give it light jerks, just enough to make it dance. It is important to let the line off the real when flipping this lure in open pockets so that it goes down completely vertical, not allowing the lure to wrap around the weeds.

Pond in General:
Ponds are predominantly overlooked and definitely not over-fished, making them the perfect bass areas. But, these ponds are not always easily accessible. Some require knowledge of the area and a hike to get to. what I mean by "knowledge" is that you must know where some of these ponds may be hiding. There are not going to be any signs stating, "Great Bass Pond, 1/4 Mile East in These Woods." What you must do is find an aerial or topographic map of your area or, easier but less accurate, just go to a website such as www.mapquest.com and zoom-in on your area. This will show a lot of water but it is hard to tell what type of water it is. It may be a drainage ditch or the best bass fishing pond in the state (unlikely but not entirely impossible). And to top it off, most of these ponds have no other fishermen, leaving it to yourself. But what if it is on private property? That's no problem, just work up enough courage to knock on the owners door and ask politely if you can fish his pond. Make sure you look respectable, and maybe even bring along a six-pack.
Old 08-23-06, 04:40 PM   #2
flbassman

Sometimes it's a good idea to load up a t-rigged spinning outfit and some extra worms and cruise neighborhoods. A t-rigged worm is just about the best bait for (southern at least, maybe northern too) small pond largemouths, IMO.
Old 08-23-06, 08:46 PM   #3
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
Sometimes it's a good idea to load up a t-rigged spinning outfit and some extra worms and cruise neighborhoods. A t-rigged worm is just about the best bait for (southern at least, maybe northern too) small pond largemouths, IMO.
I always have a rod in my car. You never know when you might need one.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 08:55 PM   #4
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yep......they do not have to be big at all to have fish......caught a 6lber out of a hole that was just big enought for two cast lenghts across and one cast length the other way.......
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 10:11 AM   #5
Vabass22

I was getting driving lessons from my dad the other day, and he made me stop and get out real fast. Turns out he saw a little pond, in the middle of nowhere, with 5 head of cattle, and a small house way in front of it. So we went up and asked the guy if we could fish there, and he said anytim you want, and now we go there almost every day, and catch fish. The other day I caught a 10 lb snapping turtle there.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 03:06 PM   #6
ironman

Send a message via AIM to ironman

One of those bit my dad one time,it was hilarous.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 03:23 PM   #7
ROBZILLA

Have you ever heard of an alligator snapping turtle.

Physical Characteristics
The Alligator Snapping Turtle is the largest freshwater turtle in the world. These turtles can measure from 15 inches to over 30 inches in length. Their weight upon maturity can range from 35 to over 200 pounds. Males are typically larger than females. The tail on this turtle can be as long as its shell. The large shell is rough and three-keeled, meaning it has 3 pronounced ridges running from front to back. It has a large head with a hooked "beak" and very powerful jaws. The eyes are on the sides of their heads unlike the Common Snapping Turtle whose eyes are situated on the top of their heads. These turtles can be gray, brown, or black in color.
Old 08-24-06, 03:24 PM   #8
ROBZILLA

Old 08-24-06, 03:26 PM   #9
ironman

Holy crap!
Old 08-24-06, 04:38 PM   #10
ROBZILLA

Big eh? I saw one while canoing and it was pushing 150 came up like a sub for air scarred the pi$$ out of me!
Old 08-24-06, 06:35 PM   #11
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

we are pretty lucky here in oHIo, theres so many farms and streams that the country side is literally dotted with good size ponds, to feed the livestock or just entertain the farmers familys...theres probably 30 2 acre ponds within a 5 mile area, plus two nice creeks that feed bigger rivers, then the lakes are all about 30-45 miles away, a half dozen to choose from...most of our ponds are coverd with cat tails, sand bars, several types of vegetation and the best ...all those willow trees.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 09:18 PM   #12
Vabass22

I love fishing near underhanging willow trees, especially in the spring!!!!!!
Old 08-24-06, 09:20 PM   #13
ironman

They have'nt done me any good this year.
Old 08-24-06, 09:27 PM   #14
Christopherkeene9

Yeah I know what you mean JB. So many ponds in OH.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:03 PM   #15
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I had an errand to do the other day that took me by a pond in front of a little presbyterian church...they had a nice sign out front saying that it was ok for the public to fish there so long as you didn't make a mess so I gave it a try for 15 minutes...managed a few decent bass on a little grub and ultralight rod. Heres one. You can even see the church in the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	735
Old 08-30-06, 03:00 PM   #16
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BluezSpot
Thumbs up Hey Thanks

How's it going? I was looking through the forum and saw your exerpt about pond fishing. I have been driving past the same pond for about three weeks now, and for some reason thought I would try to fish it to see if anything was out there...Well, "with using some of your tips" it is a farm pond and it was loaded with large mouth. I used a rattle trap at first and they really weren't biting it I was catching them batting at the bait. I switched up to a spinner and was getting bite after bite. I think people aren't fishing for bass out there, because they were hitting it like it was brand new to them. I used a sure strike #6 neon with a red hook. nothing over two pounds, but a great learning experience. i plan to hit it everday durring my lunch.
Again Thanks if you got anymore tips PLEASE let me know!

Thanks again,

BluezSpot
Old 08-30-06, 04:07 PM   #17
Christopherkeene9

You forgot retention ponds!!! But their similar to farm ponds.
Old 08-30-06, 04:27 PM   #18
flbassman

Retention ponds are a florida thing, I believe... Basically a farm pond though.
Old 08-30-06, 04:34 PM   #19
grug
BassFishin.Com Member

All I fish are local ponds within a 20 min. or less drive of my house. Just caught this 4lb'er today in 20 minutes of throwing a senko around. Caught 2 others but this was the big boy!

Don't own a boat, been pond fishing all my life and catch hundreds of bass a year so why blow $$ on gas?

Tight Lines All!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08-30-06_1454.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	747  
grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-06, 05:26 PM   #20
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I haven't heard of those

Retention ponds? WOW, learn something new everyday. What is the difference between the two? I'm not even sure if they have any of those in Texas, but if there is fish I will travel.
Old 08-30-06, 05:38 PM   #21
Christopherkeene9

Retention Ponds: ponds created to hold Florida's summer down-pour rain surplus.
Old 08-30-06, 06:12 PM   #22
BluezSpot
BassFishin.Com Member

Default I'll keep my eyes open

Hey thanks for the definition.
I will keep an eye out for those, I am new to TX so there may be some of those ponds out here. I plan on hitting as many as possible. I heard it's best to practice on a small pond before moving onto lakes. What do you think? All info is good info to me. if you got any tips for a beginner hit me up.

Thanks
Old 08-30-06, 06:37 PM   #23
crankybait

there is a retirement home that's a 5 minute bike ride... i see bluegills and trout but no bass.
Old 08-30-06, 08:24 PM   #24
Vabass22

I love pond fishing, as I am not as experienced, I think it is a great way, to dry different presentations, lures, and learn how to set the hook, fih=ght a fish and so on. In the past two weeks, I have learned more about bass fishing, from fishing one farm pond, than I ever have in my whole life.
Old 08-30-06, 10:16 PM   #25
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

yea little ponds are way easier to fish than large lakes imo

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.