Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-09-05, 09:32 PM   #1
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Lizards

Thin Lizzy, How are you getting along with the new flippin stick ?I hope you don't sleep with it in your bed , the wife gets p*ssed when you try.Don't even think of sneeking a jig under your pillow for a night. it adds too much excitement in your life, especially if your wife is not into body piercings. :-/ Let us know how your doing ?Do you like the flippin stix or what ?You could become the notorious legend called flippin lizards. ;D Have you ever heard of a guy nmaed Dee Thomas ? Live and learn from the masters and you will graduate from the amber skirt band jigs to the black skirt band jigs. cook stir fry with your flippin stick and even flip blindfolded in the monkey box on the big O. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 12:49 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re:  Lizards

Sorry for the long response. I love the flippin stick, just having a hard time mastering the techniques :-[ I consider my self above average with coordination, and above average on intellect,(no brain surgeon by any stretch) but this is just a real tough one for me to get down. I gotta get a video or something. But it's definately not the rod, it's great. I practiced for 3 hours yesterday, and don't think I'm any better than when I started :-[ I will get it down, just need more specifics on it. Maybe a video, I believe zooker said BPS had a good one. Or just to watch and mimick someone who does know how to do it well.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 01:12 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Are you trying to learn more pitching or flipping? I don't even bother to flip, I pitch in every circumstance, even the short range stuff. But a lot of its a rhythm thing.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 01:47 PM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Mostly pitching, since I'm a back boater on the tourneys. Flippin isn't very hard But the pitching, and keeping the bait low to the water for little splash is where I'm really having my difficulties.

Lizards
Old 05-10-05, 02:28 PM   #5
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Switch up the reels you use for pitchin to see if there is one that has a better feel. I find it hard to predict which ones I like for pitchin before I put them on the flippin stick, but by experimentation normally you will find there are one or two that just have a better feel. Then just practice, practice practice. I can't remember if you said your boat has a casting deck or not, if it doesn't or if it is a low deck then that can really make keeping the lure close to the water complicated.
Old 05-10-05, 03:54 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Â*Lizards

[quote author=WTL link=board=MessBoards;num=1115685125;start=0#4 date=05/10/05 at 13:28:48]Switch up the reels you use for pitchin to see if there is one that has a better feel. Â*I find it hard to predict which ones I like for pitchin before I put them on the flippin stick, but by experimentation normally you will find there are one or two that just have a better feel. Â* Then just practice, practice practice. Â*I can't remember if you said your boat has a casting deck or not, if it doesn't or if it is a low deck then that can really make keeping the lure close to the water complicated. Â*[/quote]

My boat doesn't have a casting deck, but the ones I will usually fish off of in the tourneys do. I will try switching the reels though, never thought much about that. I just think my technique stinks though :-[

Lizards
Old 05-10-05, 05:00 PM   #7
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

LIZARDS,
Here is a tip that I picked up from one of the pro's that does quite a bit of flippin'. Instead of pulling line off the reel between the reel and the first guide, pull the line off between the first and second guide. Then flip to your target and let the lure settle to the bottom, but keep the line in your off hand, do not turn it loose until the bait is on the bottom. Then turn the slack line loose and take up the slack with your reel. After that, you can go along from target to target, pulling line from between the first and second guide without releasing your reel, then flip to your next target and your line is already set for that depth. When you detect a strike, you do not have to take up slack, just set the hook. The slack was taken up on the first flip you made.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 05:55 PM   #8
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i had an idea on what flipping was, but now im starting to second guess it. i can pitch, i've been practising. but im not sure what flipping is anymore? can someone please fill me in on flipping? (im using spinning gear) thanks.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 06:26 PM   #9
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=JackL link=board=MessBoards;num=1115685125;start=0#6 date=05/10/05 at 16:00:02]LIZARDS,
Â* Â* Here is a tip that I picked up from one of the pro's that does quite a bit of flippin'. Â*Instead of pulling line off the reel between the reel and the first guide, pull the line off between the first and second guide. Then flip to your target and let the lure settle to the bottom, but keep the line in your off hand, do not turn it loose until the bait is on the bottom. Then turn the slack line loose and take up the slack with your reel. After that, you can go along from target to target, pulling line from between the first and second guide without releasing your reel, then flip to your next target and your line is already set for that depth. When you detect a strike, you do not have to take up slack, just set the hook. The slack was taken up on the first flip you made.

JackL[/quote]

That's a heck of a good idea ;D Thanks for the tip. That is an easy one to use, even for an inept fisherman such as myself ;D

Lizards
Old 05-10-05, 06:29 PM   #10
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Spinning gear? You can't flip with that!

Actually you can, but anyways, the motion with flipping is the same type deal as with pitchin, like a pendulum, but for flipping instead of swinging the lure into your hand and then swinging and letting go, you grab a lenght of line between the reel and the first guide (or the first guide and the 2nd per Jackl) and you use the slack created to flip the lure. Its a shorter range method, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't offer you anything that pitching does not.

Hope you understand that description, its not the easiest thing to explain via the written word.
Old 05-10-05, 06:29 PM   #11
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1115685125;start=0#7 date=05/10/05 at 16:55:29]i had an idea on what flipping was, but now im starting to second guess it. i can pitch, i've been practising. but im not sure what flipping is anymore? can someone please fill me in on flipping? (im using spinning gear) thanks.[/quote]

And where do we go to look for info ???

http://www.bassresource.com/fish/flip&pitch.html

Lizards
Old 05-10-05, 07:01 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

wtl
yes you can i was doing it for years in the dinky lil trout streams in western ny. the whole problem is that you can not get it to enter the water with out a lot of splash down.

lizards
pitching to heavy hitters
by kvd at bps i think it was 10 bucks or so . the guy did not try to sell you any thing just showed what he was using and how he used it. although the products were his sponser's. he never went into what rod or reel name he used. just the type or rod and reel to buy.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 07:26 PM   #13
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=MessBoards;num=1115685125;start=0#11 date=05/10/05 at 18:01:54]wtl
yes you can i was doing it for years in the dinky lil trout streams in western ny. the whole problem is that you can not get it to enter the water with out a lot of splash down.

lizards
pitching to heavy hitters
by kvd Â*at bps i think it was 10 bucks or so . the guy did not try to sell you any thing just showed what he was using and how he used it. although the products were his sponser's. he never went into what rod or reel name he used. just the type or rod and reel to buy.

zooker

Â*[/quote]

Thanks I'll order it, couldn't remember the name or pro.

Lizards
Old 05-10-05, 09:34 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

ooh, i have looked thru all of kevins articles, Â*and i have been to bassresource a few times but i guess i missed that :-/ i'll make sure to spend some more time there. wtl, that described it perfectly, thanks.
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-05, 09:43 PM   #15
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
wtl
Yes zook, I know you can do it and thats what I said. Doing it well might be another matter though.
Old 05-10-05, 10:26 PM   #16
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

To whom it may concern, If your hand is controlling the line on the flip, you are out of position to set the hook on the fish let alone try to control a big fish with your arm extended out of position away from your body resulting in a half @ssed hookset.You need to throw that d@mned reel back in the rod locker and find one that will free spool and stop as soon as the jig hits the bottom. Both hands should be in contact with the rod and the reel directly in front of you at all times. This allows your arms to be in position and close to your body to instantly set the hook and be in complete control of the fish. from the hookset. The distance between the first guide and reel seat wasn't to control the line , it so when it retracts in the butt section the first guide doesn't hit on the butt section blank.Bad habits are hard to break, practice correctly and good things will happen for your jig fishing.I hope this helps at least one person who is thinking about flipping and pitching. ;D P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.