Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-29-08, 12:18 PM   #26
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Went fishing with my son a few years back. Was top water fishing with a zara spook, had a crane swoop down out of the tree pick up my spook and fly off he got about 20 ft in the air before releasing it. My son tried to convince me to set the hook
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 01:14 PM   #27
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

By dad and I were crappie fishing several years back, we had done pretty good and were about to pack up and head home. We only had a couple minnow left and decided to use them up before we haeded out. My ol man grabbed the last minnow out of the bucket and hooked it on. As soon as it hit the water there was a huge explosion and my dad disapeared into the water. He was cought completly off guard by a 5 1/2 foot gar that grabbed the bait and ran. he handed his pole to me and climed back on shore and fought the fish for about 30 mins got him to shore before it broke his line. This was all on an ultralight rod and reel on 6 lb test. I wouldnt beleive it if i had not seen it.

Enjoying all the stories.

Chris
FlFishin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 05:45 PM   #28
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlFishin2006 View Post
By dad and I were crappie fishing several years back, we had done pretty good and were about to pack up and head home. We only had a couple minnow left and decided to use them up before we haeded out. My ol man grabbed the last minnow out of the bucket and hooked it on. As soon as it hit the water there was a huge explosion and my dad disapeared into the water. He was cought completly off guard by a 5 1/2 foot gar that grabbed the bait and ran. he handed his pole to me and climed back on shore and fought the fish for about 30 mins got him to shore before it broke his line. This was all on an ultralight rod and reel on 6 lb test. I wouldnt beleive it if i had not seen it.

Enjoying all the stories.

Chris
That is just about as good as the alligator story, although a bit more believeable. I could just about see that happening to my dad too. I love some of these stories. Especially the one about his "pet" fish. Hahaha. So Chris, is the ol' lady gonna give you a kitchen pass for all day Sunday?
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 10:20 PM   #29
Rodman_Rob

lizards rule caught a fish. zooker caught a fish, heck I even heard WTL caught a fish......lets see what old schoolers are still around
Old 09-10-08, 09:27 AM   #30
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This is a very true story. In or about 1984 I was fishing a tournament at Loudon Lake in Tennessee. Early at blast off I raced to a main channel point in the mid lake area. I started out casting a 1/2 oz bleeding shad Rattle Trap. after about 4 or 5 cast I hooked a solid fish that broke my line. It was not a power break. The line broke way up form a weak spot in the line. Four or so hours later I returned to the same point. This time I was casting a No 11 Shad Rap. On the retreive I felt what seemed to be a strike. I set the hook and a fish broke water. I heard the chatter of a rattle bait as it jumped. I started reeling in and found a line tangled in the rear hooks of the Shad Rap. My partner grabbed the line and said there was a fish on it. We hand lined the fish and landed a 3 lb very tired largemouth with a Rattle Trap side ways in its mouth. It was the same fish that had broken my line that morning. The question was , " is that a legal fish in the tournament". ?
Another true event. In about 1964 I was at Douglas lake early one morning. It was very foggy . I had a 14 foot V bottom with a 20 HP tiller Mercury. This was before bass boats had evolved. I was crossing the lake very slowly in the fog when suddenly there were fish jumping all around me. Two white bass jumped into my boat. This was in the catch and keep days so they went onto a stringer.
Fish2win
Old 09-30-08, 08:47 PM   #31
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, here is one that is all too fresh in my memory.(As in the past weekend.) Decided to chance by luck with corrosion and took the boat out in the salt for some Redfish. To make a long story short, I caught one that was .25 in over the limit and put him in the livewell until we were ready to run back up the river for some bass. When it came time to get him in the cooler to prep the livewell for freshwater I netted him in the livewell and headed to the front where the cooler was and realized I forgot to close the livewell. When I turned around to close it I hear a splash, when I looked over the net was empty. I knew he didn't flop out because it is a pretty deep net. That lucky SOB "tore" a hole in my net. Just another lesson to check ALL your gear before you go out. Especially your old net you never think about! I guess he will be bigger next time I catch him. To bad I work with the guy that was with me and I have to hear him joking about it every day! Hahaha. Better luck this weekend I hope.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 06:09 AM   #32
johnathan
BassFishin.Com Member

ok im new but i aint lyin
one day me and one of my high school buddies were out fishing on the hunting club pond, our fathers are big hunters and we werent really into hunting all that much but we both loved to fish. Fall had just started and the leaves were all pretty and colorful and stuff. so we went out and we were have a lot of success me using a top water plugger and him a 6' worm on a texas rig. well about dusk or prime time as we like to call it i got a good one on, you fisherman know when its a biggin. well after a fairly long fight with the fish i eventually landed it and it had to be a good 10 to 12 lbs, still the biggest bass ive ever caught to this day. well since you know im a stupid teen, my dads friend had this pond he had asked me to stock it, but i wanted this fish mounted so i placed in a large circular like oil bucket or something im not sure what there called but anyway we continued fishing the rest of the night and i wanted to make sure the fish was big enough to mount, beens how my dad had all the big bucks and i didnt have a job well when i paddled our boat to the shore, we attempted to take the fish out, of course wo a lid! and the fish hit the very shallow part of the water, u know 4-6 inches or so. well my friend, whos also not very bright attempts to smack the fish back to the shore by hitting it with the paddle! unfortunatly for the both of us he hit the tail, spun the fish in a circle to a little deeper water, where it was able to swim away. My dad never believed me even tho we both swore up and down. Lol try beeting that nievity!

Last edited by johnathan; 11-04-08 at 06:18 AM.
johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-08, 08:54 PM   #33
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahaha, johnaton. that a good un there pal. welcome to the nuthouse buddy. you fit here, lmao.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 09:02 AM   #34
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Green, Getcherself a nice XH musky rod, a big Abu reel and some 80-100lb braid. Then see if you can't land that monster.

Here's my story.

A long time ago (before I was born) my grandpa. my great grandpa, and my great uncle where out on Lake Erie ice fishing. They were in a spot known to hold some big fish. Well, on accident, one of them knocked their lantern into the hole, and they watched it sink to the bottom. Well, that summer, they were out on the boat perch fishing and they hooked into something big. When they finally got it to the boat, it turned out to be their lantern. The weird thing was...... It was still lit.

BB
BB thats pretty good. Where is that spot on Erie at? Also you ever go over to West Sister Islands?
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 09:46 AM   #35
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I was fishing a small pond with my brother-in-law, and we were fishing along a 1 pounders here a two-pounder there....We would throw across the pond and roll the worm of the bank, very effective.....we were fishing along and bam, i mean the biggest splash i had ever seen before, and i have see 12 and 15 pound kill a bait but this was huge, so i set the hook and was realing him in, it kept diving down so we could not see it i faught for about 5 minutes and it got to the top of the water, i only had 6lb. test so i was being very careful not to break it, and i finally got it to the surface and all of a sudden it stretched out to about 8 feet...a snake...by they way i would rather face a bear with a twig than anything with a snake....anyways, i was getting ready to cut the line, but my brother in law said he would hold the rod, but then he started messing with it, it would swim away and he would reel it back in, but finally he started coming towards us....it got wrapped up in the grass and couldn't move, so we got his grandmas gun which it is on her land, and we shot it in the head about 5 times and it still was coming, so we have to pull it up on land and get a shovel to kill it....it was a crazy day!!!!
jcw1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 09:00 PM   #36
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

what kind of snake was it?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 12:58 AM   #37
bassinbob

Back in the mid 70's on a float trip down the Yough river I had an experience that still haunts me to this day. A friend, who was a novice fisherman and I shared a 12 ft. boat. It was a bright sunny day. This was a long time before I started serious fishing for bass. We were drifting nightcrawlers on Lindy rigs. My friend was seated in the bow and I in the stern. I was using a ugly stick and a Mitchell 300 with 8lb test line. I had a fish on. It was fighting and pulling like no tomorrow. Around and around the boat I fought it. Finally I managed to get it up to the surface. At first I thought it was a carp. Then second thought was a pike. Then I realized it was a largemouth. To say it was huge was no mistatement. The fight lasted about 5 minutes or so. The fish was fought out. We had on board a small trout net. I asked my friend to net it. He replied it wouldn't fit into the net. I was standing and my knees were knocking and my hands were shaking. I said "ok" and remembering what I had watched on a tv fishing show I decided to stick my thumb in its' mouth. I pulled the bass to the back of the boat and then switched my rod from my right hand to my left. At the very same moment I switched hands there was some slack in the line. In horror I watched the hook slide out of the bass' mouth and it slowly drifted down into the river. I threw my rod and started a verbal cussing that was overheard by a young family in a canoe. The mother hurridly covered her childs ears as best as she could. The father did the same to his son. My best guess was the bass weighed over 10 lbs. To come so close.
Old 11-06-08, 06:02 AM   #38
islandbass

Here is a tale of one of the best battles I ever had with any fish.

Schooled and Spooled by My Chum (salmon) Sunday, November 26 2006

A Glorious Day
Despite waking up to see snow on the ground, I headed out the door determined not to let the frosty outlook deter or deny me from fishing for some dog (aka chum, well known for their fight than table fare) salmon today. It had been too long since I last went fishing. My wife thought I was crazy. A quick glance at the car’s thermometer brought a smile to my face as it displayed a reading of 33 degrees F. At least it wasn’t freezing, I thought to myself!

For those that don’t know Chum salmon are brutish fighters. If you know the fight of a smallmouth bass, you will have an idea of the type of fight. Even if they are already dark in color and dying, they fight with unrivaled vigor and spunk.

I arrived at Metzlers (a section of the Green River in WA State) shortly afterward and was relieved to see other cars parked in the lot. I felt as ready as I could be with my ever so trusty 8’6” Lamiglas Norwest Special rod and mated it to my new Curado D HSV. My other rig was a newly acquired Okuma 9’6” Celilo ML spinning rod and standby size 30 Rapala reel.

Someone was battling a chum when I got to the clearing and I took it as a good sign.

I positioned myself at the upstream end of the clearing (close to the tree that will force you to make a sidearm cast lest you get tangled up in the branches above) and worked my casts fairly close to the shore into that sweet spot. I used with a double lime green corky and pink yarn, a choice I made based on what I thought would be a good bet given the water’s color and conditions set before me.

Among the thoughts of concentrating on each and every bit of data sent to me through the rod and line, recalling the bout I had catching my first chum last year in this same area, and the 10 minute fought it gave me popped into mind on occasion, and I was in for a great treat. My notion of a chum’s fight would be taken to the highest level ever.

The Drift of Drifts
I placed my cast into the drift keeping just a wee bit of belly in the line and between hops of the pencil lead I saw my line race downstream faster than the speed of the river. Although I had yet to experience catching a fish running away with the line like this, instinct took over thought and I set the hook. As soon as I did, I knew immediately something very large and powerful was on the other end, stronger than anything I had ever battled to date. Patience was going to be key in this battle.

The fight was on! The Curado D HSV 201’s drag was performing flawlessly and I let it take the line. Before long my spool was at half capacity and the darn bugger was still pulling off line. I wasn’t too concerned at this point but I will concede the thought of getting spooled was starting to cross my mind.

Five, Ten, Fifteen . . .
The fight was definitely intense, as my chum forced me to move to the opposite end of the clearing. For every yard of line I gained it took about three and the only time I gained line was when it decided to come upstream for a spell. In-between its runs up and downstream, it was a stalemate.

Five minutes pass; then ten minutes, and before long, 15 minutes expire and this hawg still has more than half of my line out and showed absolutely no signs of tiring. The only signs that could be seen were the wearing on my poor thumb and glove.

In the twentieth minute I started to get a bit worried. The holes in my spool were now visible and I was still losing line. I lessened my drag to compensate for the small amount of line I had left.

This awesome chum took more and more line with every run. It seemed as if this was its way telling me, “I might have taken your lure, and you might have hooked me, but I’m too powerful for you to bring me in. You will not see my Barney purple stripes on the bank today!”

By the 22nd minute, my heart just about dropped. My spool was just about down to nothing. So there I stood at the edge of the downstream clearing, and my chum at the other end out in the middle of the river far, far, away. It rolls on top of the water a few more times as if to take a glance at me to say farewell before making its final run . . . In one last energy tapping moment, snap!! The line broke and the battle was over.

I respectfully tipped my black hat to him and mumbled, “Thank you for the fight. You won fair and square.”

Oh man! I was still excited despite losing that battle. My biggest regret is that he’s running out there with a lot of line still attached to the hook.

I showed the guy next to me my curado and he was stunned when he saw this:

His eyes popped out as his jaw dropped in shock. Fortunately, geeky 'lil 'ol me always comes prepared. The curado was done for the day but my Pfleuger Trion LP was ready for duty. I hook into another chum 10 minutes later and landed him shortly afterward.

Heading Home
I packed up my stuff and headed home as the cold was beginning to serve as a catalyst for bringing on the soreness from my right shoulder and forearm from the first fight.

Going one for two isn’t two shabby for a newbie like me. Yes, I got spooled and schooled but I learned so much.

Stats of the Day
Conditions: Burrrrrr! Cold! 33 deg F - Over cast, occasional drizzle, snow on the ground.
Rig: 8’6” H Lamiglas Norwest Special/CuradoD and Pflueger Trion LP
Line: 12” Pline CX Premium
Lure: Double lime green corky with pink yarn and smelly jelly

-Alex aka islandbass
Old 11-06-08, 11:54 AM   #39
jcw1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
what kind of snake was it?

a water moccasin i believe
Old 11-06-08, 12:13 PM   #40
jcw1503

here is another one, however, it is not as intense....

Me and my brother-in-law, by the way he is the one i fish with most of the time, anyways we were walking the rocks to get out into the river a little more...we were fishing for smallmouth....we kept seeing this one eating and swimming near us, but could not get him to bite, we were fishing with 4 lb. test on a ultra light to give a little more excitement.....well, when we started to head back in, he slipped up and the end of the rod with the grub on it dipped down into the water and bam something bite it and took off with his rode, he jumped all the way in to try and catch it, but it was already gone.....we figured that the line would snap and his rod would be gone forever.....anyways on the way out we had to drive down the edge of the river...i glanced over and saw something on the edge of a limb in the water close to the edge of the river near the pathway....so we stopped and i reached down there to get his rod, and when i grabbed it and stood up the line shot out....i finally reeled it back in, and there was a 2lb smallmouth on it....we could not believe it went through the river and the line did not break or tangle on anything...it was absolutley luck, and probably never happen again...

hey, it was my catch...i reeled him in...
Old 11-06-08, 01:22 PM   #41
mont_lunker_hunter

I have a phantom crankbait. I lost it on a deep point only to retrieve it the next day with c-rig. Later that winter, same crankbait, lost it on a creek channel. Two weekends later I was fishing another crankbait on the same channel when i got hung. Hound dogged it free and the phantom popped up with it!! Now this is where it gets crazy...I aqcuired the crankbait when I found it floating in the same lake! It just won't go away.
Old 11-06-08, 01:35 PM   #42
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont_lunker_hunter View Post
I have a phantom crankbait. I lost it on a deep point only to retrieve it the next day with c-rig. Later that winter, same crankbait, lost it on a creek channel. Two weekends later I was fishing another crankbait on the same channel when i got hung. Hound dogged it free and the phantom popped up with it!! Now this is where it gets crazy...I aqcuired the crankbait when I found it floating in the same lake! It just won't go away.

I would probably retire that bait. It is like a fighter pilot that has been shot down and rescued 3 times.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 01:39 PM   #43
mont_lunker_hunter

yeah...I should get me a gold chain and wear it around my neck. HA It's a chrome/black back DD22, so it'd be some sweet bling!
Old 11-07-08, 04:11 AM   #44
johnathan
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks bama lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.