Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-09, 11:09 PM   #1
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser
Default Muddy Water

I was flying in from the Gulf the other day, and I was looking where the MS river runs into the Gulf. From a term MSboy used earlier, it looked like peanut butter. I was thinking, how would I fish it. I got to thinking of slow Rat-L-Traps, wide wobble cranbaits, or some big spinner baits. What about ya'll, what's in you arsenal for the mud?
Old 02-19-09, 11:43 PM   #2
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i like those same baits..... big colorado blades and big shallow diving cranks.but i also fish alot of soft plastics i like black neon yum dinger.huge jigs with double rattles. in really muddy water fish usually hang close to the bank.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 03:50 AM   #3
CCbass

I flipped in a lake that is paper bag brown all year for almost ten years. I used mostley amber or camo colors on light weights 1/16 ounce. Many times a friend that fished heavy jigs in very dark colors would comment on the slow bite that day, me same as normal. Maybe the slow fall and more blended color (to the water color i.e. natural) made the difference.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 08:42 AM   #4
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like a black spinnertbait with a real THUMPING blade. Then a black/blue jig!
Old 02-20-09, 09:20 AM   #5
woody

I have had success throwing a bright RED lipless crank, the louder the better has worked for me.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-09, 09:39 AM   #6
sharpe012010

to be honest if the river is muddy id catfish or go home... because that usually means its reallllly moving and full of debris here
Old 02-20-09, 03:08 PM   #7
aikenyounggun

if its muddy throw something that makes a commotion like a big thumping spinnerbait or a rattle trap..... or you can finesse them with something that moves water (they will feel it with their lateral line)..... hey sharpe012010 fishing muddy water for bass can be fun
Old 02-20-09, 05:46 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ol zooker will help ya out on the cranks bub!! he LOVES peanut butter water and cranks. send him a pm. he'll help ya out.
Old 02-20-09, 08:24 PM   #9
Bassboss

Where the Mississippi meats the gulf it's salt water. But other wise for just muddy water, I use spinner baits with a large profile with the biggest Colorado blade I can find. Rattle traps work great. Pretty much everything you said. I also like rage tail baits, a sea monkey and a 10" anaconda work best for the muddiest paces I fish. I use both weight less. Top waters with load rattles word good also. I've never had luck with a buzz bait because I have to reel it fast, and I feel the bass don't have the time to hone in on the buzzbait. As a South Floridian I find myself fishing muddy and stained water very often.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-08-09, 09:06 PM   #10
Bassmagician
BassFishin.Com Member

Where I fish is not that far from the Miss. River, in fact it is very simmilar. In a delta there are many inlets, shallow bays, creeks etc... Usually when the water "muds" up, is in the spring and early summer. In the spring pre. to post. spawn the fish are almost allways located in the shallow bays and creeks. The lures that I have the most success on are mid. range 2' to 4' range diving crank baits in bright colors ( chartuse, red, etc...). Also I use an old standby, a Hildibrant snagless sally in a crawfish color also called a ( Mr. Proffessor ). With a pork trailer. As the water heats up a little the bigger spinnerbaits work well usually with a single colorado spinner Gold, Red, or Yellow with any color skirt you want to use as long as it's WHITE!!!!!! Once the water warms to the a constant mid. 70s you must hope that you have moving water after the morning bite. Just about any style of fishing will work at this time of year but the fish are scattered in the main creeks or lakes and you have to cover more water to catch them.
Bassmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 09:28 PM   #11
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i love to fish muddy water. i like it to be choclate milk colored. i cant stand clear/lightly stained water.

i like to fish big worms( zoom mag II, a certain yum worm i cant reveal, and sometimes zoom ultravibes) junebug red, red bug, junebug, green pumpkin with the tail died chartreuse, and black w/ red fleck. i dont know what i would do if i got in some water where u could see down more than a foot.
Old 09-09-09, 02:12 PM   #12
zooker

umm well lets start off with my favorite condition "STAINED"

some of my favorite baits are big, slow, and loud.. the jlv fatty shad
the color i use is wild thing.

and the jlv bladed shad..in firetiger..

the trick is CONTACT.. these baits have to get into the strike zone which can be smaller than a baseball and act confused..

as you can see that is cool stained water..

zooker
Old 09-09-09, 03:52 PM   #13
riverfisher
BassFishin.Com Member

Muddy river water Im doing the ol'erie drag!! Just draggen gidzit tubes and jig heads with a 2" to 4" curley tail just cast out leave it on the bottom and go with the current (be prepared to lose alot of them).

I'll also hit grasslines with flukes and If Im throwing hard baits in mud I'll throw a crank thats jointed dives deep and is really loud like a Rapala JSR7.
riverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 08:16 PM   #14
Amarillo Palmira
BassFishin.Com Member

I live to the East of Bass Magician over in Florida and I fish those Gulf coast tidal rivers every weekend. Basically, what he said. Winter is awesome, slow rolled Colorado blade spinnerbaits, Zoom finesse worms, Rapala DT4s, and chartreuse chatterbaits. Spring, same thing, maybe throw in some Rage Craws. Summer not as good, like he said, moving water is key. Mostly I throw a dark Senko type worm or a buzzbait. Rage craws flipped to cover. Fall, spinnerbait time again, finesse worms, etc. Hope this helps, Amarillo Palmira
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 08:23 PM   #15
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Wow, zook! I've never seen water even close to that color!
Old 09-09-09, 08:49 PM   #16
zooker

i once told a guy from harrisburg pa the lake we were running in was "clear" he thought i was nuts..

zooker
Old 09-09-09, 08:56 PM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i once told a guy from harrisburg pa the lake we were running in was "clear" he thought i was nuts..

zooker

Can't imagine why! Around here, the darker waters would be classified as moderately stained.
Myself, I love clear water on a bright sunny day
Old 09-09-09, 09:52 PM   #18
Bassmagician
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep folks, The water in the last picture of zookers is what we call, in Mobile Delta. stained. Good spinnerbait water!!!!!! YEE HAA!!!!!!
I have fished in Lake Martin neer Alexander City in Alabama a lot, I thought it looked like bathtub water when I fist saw it.
Bassmagician is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.