Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-12-04, 01:17 PM   #1
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default red

Why red? Â*We've all seen episodes of shaw grigsby where he keeps on talking about red hooks and strike king bleeding bait series. Â*ANd Shaw Grigsby is always talking about how everyone in fl is catching bass on red shad worms and stuff like that because the lure looks like its bleeding and injured. Â*I've come to a different conclusion.

There are a couple reasons red works so well in fl waters as grigsby always says. Â*First of all its just one of those colors that will typically produce well all over, kinda like junebug. Â*

Secondly most of the bodies of water in fl are stained red, and basses eyes aren't like humans, they adjust to the color of the water. Â*The reason they are stained red is because the tanin from cypress trees soaks up into the water and gives it a reddish-brown stain. Since the water is red and the bass adjust to it they will be able to pick up reddish colors more easily and therefor go after it. Â*Why do you think dark colors work so well in darker water, and black jitterbugs, senkos, or buzzbaits work so well at night?

Third of all red will work well in high water conditions. Â*For any of you in Texas or that have read up on this you'll know that one of the favorite spring-time lures in tx is a red rat-l-trap. Â*This is so because the water levels in texas in spring are high due to all the rain.

This is just what I have come to find and if any of you have differing opinions post it. Â*
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 01:32 PM   #2
killmatik
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to killmatik
Default Re: red

Wow... what a different approach to everything.

My friend and I were fishing the same lure in a small pond and he caught a 1 lb bass and I caught nothing til I switche dto topwater. The only difference was he was using a "bleeding" bluegill.. with blood painted on the belly and red hooks.
killmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 01:43 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

hoolypooper
he also is getting paid a big ole wad of cash to preach the sponser's lines. trust me they may preach about there sponser's lure. but will use what ever it takes to win weather they use a "sponser's lure " or some one else's lure. only how can you prove what they caught the fish on was some thing else. look in bass master at the tourny's run down how many say unnamed type of lure? think about..

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 04:45 PM   #4
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

Even if red is better, i wont use a brand of treble hook that I dont feel is the best availible, and as of now the best in my opinion is not availible in red. So no red hooks for me. I want the most fish in the boat for the number of bites i get, rather than more bites and not as many fish if its true that the red hooks are superior.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 05:41 PM   #5
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

Keep in mind that red turns to black before any other color:

The chart shows depth and color change. It might me more dramatic with low light and water of a green stain.

I've used chartreuse, pumpkin, black, laminates and lime in soft plastics and done pretty well. Â*Can bass relate red to anything or even colors to life forms? If Dance and Grigsby tells us it is so, who are we to argue.

(I'll bet they stayed overnight at a Holiday Inn Express, by George.)

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 07:23 PM   #6
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

In TX and L.A. The red crawfish rattle-traps that you'r refering to is also called a "Rayborn red". It's a crawfish pattern. Fish think that it's a live crawfish going over the tops of the grass. Believe me , other colors aren't nearly as affective. Been there seen that and have done that.

Note: If you go to that area and see the red craws, get these things, they sell out quickly. Hard to find in L.A. or TX.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 12:16 AM   #7
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Sam, Liked the chart. Kinda bringin a civilized thought into all the madness. So basically purple is the color to have. ;D
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 12:20 AM   #8
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

[quote author=bassnman30 link=board=news;num=1095005838;start=0#5 date=09/12/04 at 18:23:18]In TX and L.A. The red crawfish rattle-traps that you'r refering to is also called a "Rayborn red". It's a crawfish pattern.[/quote]

Now when mimicing crawfish i do believe in using red sometimes, the part i'm doubting is the red hooks, I love my Lectric red rat-l-traps ;D
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 12:29 AM   #9
Slayem9
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Slayem9

flfireman, it doesn't take into account florescent colors, which hold their color deeper or the color of the water (muddy, tanin, green/brown, algae green) which acts like a filter. One poster said it well, "as long as you're not at the fish's eye level or seeing through it's eyes, you can never be sure what color it is seeing.

My father was color blind and obviously saw colors differently from a young age. Maybe we're color blind and the fish see colors truly. :

Sam
Slayem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 01:09 AM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

I completely agree. Was mostly noting that its good to see someone bring in good solid evidence to back what they are saying. Good to know that someone is willing to take the extra time to research and then show it to the masses. I actually have seen a similar chart that did show a wide variety of colors including some of the flourescent colors that are used. Also arent we all blind in one way or another? ;D
Old 09-15-04, 11:13 AM   #11
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1095005838;start=0#2 date=09/12/04 at 12:43:20]hoolypooper
he also is getting paid a big ole wad of cash to preach the sponser's lines. trust me they may preach about there sponser's lure. but will use what ever it takes to win weather they use a "sponser's lure " or some one else's lure. only how can you prove what they caught the fish on was some thing else. look in bass master at the tourny's run down how many say unnamed type of lure? Â* think about..

zooker Â*[/quote]

Yep, **hangs head in shame**.the secret is out. And zooker is right. There are days when no matter what we do, our "Sponsor" lures just don't cut it. the fish want something i don't have in a sponsor lure.And if a person tells you he does not have a secret go to bait, he is a dog of a lier. LOL.

But the bleeding hooks do catch more fish, and i say this truthfully, because i am not sponsored by a hook co. I have cranks with both a red front hook, and without. On the ones with, they always hit the red hook. The ones without, mostly the back gets um.

Not scientific i know, but my confidence.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 02:36 PM   #12
randycanfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randycanfish

[quote author=bassboss link=board=news;num=1095005838;start=0#10 date=09/15/04 at 10:13:28]

Yep, **hangs head in shame**.the secret is out. And zooker is right. There are days when no matter what we do, our "Sponsor" lures just don't cut it. the fish want something i don't have in a sponsor lure.And if a person tells you he does not have a secret go to bait, he is a dog of a lier. LOL.

But the bleeding hooks do catch more fish, and i say this truthfully, because i am not sponsored by a hook co. I have cranks with both a red front hook, and without. On the ones with, they always hit the red hook. The ones without, mostly the back gets um.

Not scientific i know, but my confidence.

Charles[/quote]

this may be a stupid question...but if they hit the red hook on the lure with a red front and dark back. but almost always hit the the back hook if they are both dark, why wouldn't you fish red hooks in the back?
randycanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 06:56 PM   #13
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

no, it is actually a good question.I am in the process of switching all my baits to a red front, black/bronze rear, because when they get the red front, the rear treble comes around and grabs em for a better hookup. A little trick i learned through trial and error.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 07:16 PM   #14
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Makes sense there bassboss, go for the red and hook up with the back. I have a few with dual reds on them, gonna have to switch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.