Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-23-11, 09:30 AM   #1
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Jig Actionator.....Disco Jig Info

While browsing Hobby Lobby for jig tying supplies some months ago, I noticed a display of oversized sequins. They were slightly larger than 3/4 inch in diameter and made of a thin, somewhat bendable plastic. I bought some white AB and some clear AB (abalone finish) flat sequins and put them on the shelf at the tying bench. Several weeks ago, I was adding them to the hook shaft of a jig before tying on a rabbit strip and 6 overlaying silicone strands for a skirt. Sink testing when vertical jigging made the jig simply turn a summersault when it was lifted 4 inches or so.

I had tried several positions for the mounting point in the plastic disc, but without much difference in action.
Lastly, just as a curiosity, I punched a small hole in the disc just off center and pressed it down on the eye of the 1/16 oz. jig, snapping it over the eye and making the disc horizontal on the jighead making it appear as a spaceship Enterprise. I tied on my standard skirt pattern using the two inch rabbit zonker tail and the 6 silicone strands being slightly longer than the rabbit and stagger cut.

The disc does several things......vertical jigging it basically goes nuts....sometimes a left curve, sometimes a right, sometimes a short yank just suddenly shoots it forward. Sometimes it shoots in an upward angle, and sometimes it bends the rod tip down a little as it shoots downward and out. On the retrieve, as it's brought in at a steady pace, it quite often bottom bounced, it was hitting the bottom and then shooting up a little and then diving again....not continually scraping the bottom but hitting it every foot or so......

When jigged near the surface it would swipe the surface occasionally surfacing, then just as abruptly, diving.
In addition to the above, the abalone finish flashed in several colors, a shad like blue green, a gold flash at times, and a green at other times. In addition, it worked well using the clear, as you could still see the chartreuse jighead through the disc.

Note, when snapping the disc over the eye, I press some of the plastic back down at the base of the eye but leave enough play so the disc rotates freely when spun.....this "play" is also important to let the disc freely change angles on the eye shaft.

Good Fishing, Mac

Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 01:40 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mac sent me a few of these jigs to try out and although I haven't been able to get them on the water yet, they are very neat looking jigs. I expect them to have some crazy action, especially on the fall.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 02:02 PM   #3
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Any chance one of you could post a pic or two of one?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 07:53 PM   #4
bamabassman

i second watterboy's request.
Old 02-23-11, 09:20 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I would be happy to but it's not my creation to post pics of. If Mac wants me to, I will be more than happy to though.
Old 04-07-11, 08:02 PM   #6
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pictures of the Disco Jig!

Mac was kind enough to send me a couple of these jigs and they look AWESOME. I can't wait for bass season to get here so I can try them out!

He also asked me to post a picture of them, so here they are:

Thanks, Mac!

WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:00 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Yep that looks like the ones I got too. Mac I am sorry that I didn't get pictures posted. I actually thought about it lastnight but the jigs are in the boat which is a few miles from here in a storage unit and I was just going to wait until I was over there again to grab them.
Old 04-08-11, 08:26 AM   #8
Mac2

Default Jig pic.

Don't give it a second thought. Dean wanted a pic of the jig also so I sent him a pack and he returned the favor with the pic. I know we all get detained on projects from time to time and I appreciated your offer. I may ask you for some help later on. Thanks again, and Good Fishing, Mac
Old 04-08-11, 09:29 PM   #9
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

mac those look awesome!! it looks like they're gonna have some really unique action in the water.. really good job dude... really really cool.
Old 04-08-11, 09:53 PM   #10
bamabassman

hmmmmm, anyway you can post up a video? interesting for sure. would love to see the action.
Old 04-09-11, 07:47 AM   #11
Mac2

bama,

I'm sorry, but I don't do vids, let alone pics. Kindly just take my word for it, vertically jigged, it does a number of movements. It's unpredictable. If it shoots off to the left, it may be a straight shot, or even curved. Sometimes it shoots straight ahead, sometimes in a straight trajectory, sometimes upwards, sometimes angled downward and sometimes to the right.

Something else, when jigging, short sudden jerks will probably be sending pulses through the water such as a wounded occasionally flapping tail from a distressed creature in the midst of a struggle. The disc, being flat and thin edged will flex somewhat on the jerk and will probably cavitate on it's thin edge as well.

In tinkering at the lake, I've not witnessed it moving backwards personally, but if it occasionally does, even a little, just imagine what it must look like flairing the hair.
Being that the disc rotates, it may just do that but is probably an infrequent movement.

The tails on the jigs are always flexible and will bend as the jig changes directions adding a more life-like appearance.

As for responding directly to your request.....if you can't find the oversized flat sequins locally, just pm me and I'll send you a couple. Hobby Lobby is the only place I've seen them at so far. I like the clear ones the best, but they offer a bunch of colors. Just be sure to make the hole off center as that's the key.

Good Fishing, Mac

It's a dollar ninety-nine for a pack and you get a bunch. The clear is really clear AB, abalone and they refract the light and emit colors of iridescent nature.....kinda like flashing baitfish.

Last edited by Mac2; 04-09-11 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-11, 07:50 AM   #12
Mac2

Smitty,
Thanks for you positive comments. They are muchly appreciated.....

Good Fishing, Mac
Old 04-09-11, 08:20 AM   #13
Mac2

The following thought has occured to me several times in the last few days that just because a lure is capable of a lot of movement, it's been my expperience that a slow moving or paused lure will catch a lot of fish. So, I'm now thinking it's important to allow pauses and rest periods when working the actionator. Sometimes we get turned on by the movement and forget to use a presentation that presents vulnerability.

I've seen and have been responsible for overworking a bait at times and caught some nice fish when taking a break with the lure still in the water. I think the disco jig will work well with that in mind. Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
Old 04-09-11, 09:05 AM   #14
smittyman
BassFishin.Com Member

it reminds me of the luck e strike scrounger jigheads. bama, i would guess it would have almost the same action as these, or at least pretty dang close.

Old 04-09-11, 03:06 PM   #15
bamabassman

understand mac2. i believe ya pal. just wanted to see it,lol.
Old 04-09-11, 03:06 PM   #16
Mac2

Smitty, it won't be close to the same. Yours, as shown, would provide the bait with a side to side waggle, probably giving a worm shape a side to side action similar to a snake or fish swimming. I'm certain it would not shoot off in a variety of directions, although it still would be effective in it's own method of movement. Good Fishing, Mac
Old 04-09-11, 03:10 PM   #17
Mac2

Bama, the offer still stands, just PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple discs you can try out on any jigs. Good fishing, Mac
Old 04-14-11, 09:14 AM   #18
coldbasser

Default Action Jigs

I liked your idea on these disks and I went and found tiddly winks disks old bingo chips also would work and I'm going to try to get differant actions as the fluid dynamics will make the jig move forward and backwards as well as side to side. I think it would make a wacky rigged jig even more wacky!
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 06:24 PM   #19
M_A_C_K

Thats more of an inline spinner than a jig on the right... but i like the idea... I'm thinking about trying to make my version of the scrounger as shown above... some cutting and heat molding may have to be done... hmmm
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 07:13 AM   #20
Mac2

MACK,

Glad you mentioned the spinnerblade. You have to use a folded clevis to put one on a jig and mash the barb. If the clevis is too small, it won't get around the bends in the jighook. I think I used a number three on this one and used a glass E bead as a bearing.
Behind the bead, under the thread, is a sleeve made of pony bead lacing from Pepperell Braiding Co. (can be googled) and when ordering you can get a hundred feet of the thin, but hollow lacing for $3.50 Talk to Mary on Ext. 19 I applied some super glue to to the hookshank and spindled it back and forth as I slid it into place. Not only stops the bead, but gives a good platform to tie on.
Old 04-15-11, 07:20 AM   #21
Mac2

Coldbasser, Good ideas about winks and chips. The disks I use, meaning the sequins from Hobby Lobby, are somewhat flexible and really work well perhaps in part due to their flex. On the water, yesterday, I took a plain jighead, snapped on an actionator and then rigged a 4 inch finesse worm on the jig........great action. Also tried a 3 inch grub with the same results.

If you would like to try some of the sequins in addition to the winks and chips, I'd be glad to pick up a pack and mail them to you. Just PM me your mailing address and I'd get them in the mail.
Old 04-15-11, 07:38 AM   #22
Mac2

colbasser, pm sent
Old 04-17-11, 04:38 PM   #23
Mac2

Took a bare jig with the actionator attached and nose hooked a 4 inch finesse worm.....absolutely great writhing and snaking twist action. Didn't catch a fish on it yet as we literally got skunked, but I'm hooked. Good Fishing, Mac

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.