Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-04-09, 08:43 PM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Do anyone hackle the tail treble ? I started tying 2 hackle feathers to the tail treble.,sort of gotten away from it as I reel the daylights out of the trap in this ultra clear water to get bit some days and so I got away from it for those traps.Danny Joe Humphrey had a "feather trap" out on the market with the feathers so I thought mine needed it as well.It didn't seem to hurt them but I am not sure it helped either ? P N J

Last edited by pig n jig; 02-04-09 at 08:56 PM.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 09:34 AM   #27
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sugar Shad in warm gold, orange belly.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:30 AM   #28
Captmikestarrett

Yea Dave that thing caught some fish...

Not always the target fish but it caught them.

Capt Mike
Old 02-05-09, 12:23 PM   #29
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

What?! Is that a carp that actually went after your trap? Only way I catch em is accidental snagging.

As far as lipless crankbaits go, I'd take a Strike King Red Eye Shad over any other crank any day - EXCEPT...some days it's good to use one of the originals like a Rattlin' Rapala or Rat-L-Trap, as they have a smaller wobble and sometimes they are unbeatable.
I like the Red Eye Shad the most because of it's wiggle both on the way up and on the way down. It's so easy to yoyo because of this.

I'm looking forward to trying their heavier models.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 02:53 PM   #30
tnfisherman

not tryin to take the post but how does the red eye shad work
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 06:41 PM   #31
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

good success with 1/4 and 1/2 in spring with color black top with orange on the bottom fishing in semi stained water. Definately change out the hooks.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 06:06 PM   #32
The Doc

I like to have a variety of baits, so I have some Rat-L-Traps, some Red Eye Shads, some of the Strike King Diamond Shad's, some Cotton Cordells, and a few Spro Aruku's, and one Megabass Vibe-X. I have all kinds of patterns, but most of my favorites are in a threadfin or gizzard shad pattern, or a bright red craw color.
Old 03-10-09, 08:54 PM   #33
jooleyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfisherman View Post
not tryin to take the post but how does the red eye shad work
I can't go into too much detail or the physics of it, but it is weighted heavily towards the center and bottom, so that it wiggles on it's way down and doesn't just wildly plummet.
Old 03-14-09, 07:10 AM   #34
zaraflux
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont throw them all the time but my favorite are the lucky craft silent types dont remember the model #.I mainly throw whatever the situation calls for with the usual suspects but when the bite dies with the noisy traps Ill come back through the area with the silent LC and have always had good results
zaraflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 09:01 AM   #35
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've never fished 'em.
Are Berkley Frenzy Ratl'rs anny good? They have them at Maul Sales, and it'd help to fill out the minimum $100 order. They're $1.85
Old 03-14-09, 10:55 AM   #36
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I've never fished 'em.
Are Berkley Frenzy Ratl'rs anny good? They have them at Maul Sales, and it'd help to fill out the minimum $100 order. They're $1.85
I have a few Frenzy's, and actually like them. I've got so many 1/4-1/2 oz Rattle Traps that it's going to be several more years before I need to even consider buying anymore. And since I'm not a big color man, if a hot new color comes along, I'm not one to jump on it and go out and buy more lures that will hardly be used as I have my favorites like everyone else.
Old 03-14-09, 10:58 AM   #37
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I have a few Frenzy's, and actually like them. I've got so many 1/4-1/2 oz Rattle Traps that it's going to be several more years before I need to even consider buying anymore. And since I'm not a big color man, if a hot new color comes along, I'm not one to jump on it and go out and buy more lures that will hardly be used as I have my favorites like everyone else.

Thanks for the info. I'll hafta pick up some of those when i get around to ordering from them.
Old 03-14-09, 06:13 PM   #38
Rebbasser

Don't have a favorite-I throw Traps, Diamond Shads, Redeye Shads, Cordell Spots-you name it. If you are throwing an original trap be sure to sharpen or even better change the hooks. The stock hooks are about as sharp as a Q-tip. I do have a dedicated rod for lipless baits and always have one tied on. Throw it on a 7.1:1 reel so I can really burn it.
Old 03-14-09, 07:26 PM   #39
MallenManson

I just found out that Gander Mountain has Rattlin Raps for $2.99. Tomorrow's the last day of the sale
Old 03-14-09, 11:52 PM   #40
Love of the Sport

My fav is the Owners baby bass 3/4. Been having great luck with them but they are a bit pricey.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:00 AM   #41
CCbass

Throw it on a 7.1:1 reel so I can really burn it.[/quote] I agree reel it like you are trying to get it out of the water to grab another rod. It will wear you out but it catches fish.

Last edited by CCbass; 03-15-09 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 01:28 AM   #42
jooleyen

Quote:
I agree reel it like you are trying to get it out of the water to grab another rod. It will wear you out but it catches fish.
While this does catch good fish sometimes, it mostly catches fish in the 12-14" range for me. I've found that to catch bigger fish on lipless crankbaits, I need to either bump cover, rip it out of grass, or yo-yo the bait.

Just a thought to keep in mind.
Old 03-15-09, 01:54 AM   #43
S4il

Strike-king diamond shads all the way here, differnet sizes depending on the size of the baitfish the bass will be targeting.

Green/orange, (firetiger) or red if its not Deep water ~ Really dirty muddy water i might throw a hand painted Rattle trap like a lime green with a yelow back or my personal favorite, all black with GOLD barbs and kandy pink pearl belly (its airbrushed)

Chrome/blue back or black back ~ Clear water when the sun is out, and filtering into the water below the surface with or without the wind, dont think it matters. more sun the more flash, same with spinnerbaits, willowleafs give off more flash cause its a large blade, think if a rattle trap as a giant willowleaf blade w/ 6 hooks (lol) its going to throw ALOT of light off that chome side.

Painted natural colors like-bass shad patterns, bluegills etc...whenever im fishing slightly stained waters, i might take a Bit of spike-it marker pen, and add some yellow, or orange to the back of the bait, or belly if i feel they fish cant really See it that well if the water is discolored.

Remember to match whatever the fish are feeding on with that bait, works great down south in spring matching the craw's in that red/orange patterns cause its the craw fish that its matching, later in the year they stop feeding on those, and switch to the baitfish in the lake/ponds your fishing, Not saying all bass do this but its no doubt. something to pay attention too !

Since i see your from IN me and you are somewhat close, if you got any rivers around your area, Green olive is the Ticket early spring for small mouth bass, Tube jigs to be exact, small ones too, like 3" with a jig head inserted into the body if the tube jig, I KILL small mouths on that bait up to about the first part of June, and even some large mouths, Catfish, carp, That tube jig has caught me just about everything that will eat a craw fish.

Last edited by S4il; 03-15-09 at 01:59 AM.
S4il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 12:56 PM   #44
Zoom
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh boy,the wonderful traps.....So versatile and one of the easiest ways to eliminate water when fishing.
I fish from 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz.I really like the new Strike King red eye sexy shad.
Also Bill Lewis rat-l-traps are money.....plus an added bonus to that line of traps is if you go to the site you can custom order whatever color combos you want.Not everybody likes what is mass produced and they like to be a little different.(there is nothing wrong with being different,it pays off).
If you want to try a suspending rattle lure,go with the Smithwick Rattlin Rogue.(it is often overlooked but very productive).
Any way i prefer the traps to be between 1/4-3/4oz and primarily chrome/blk,chrome/blue,all gold...but i will tie on a custom made one if the situation calls for it.
Enjoy them,they are a blast.
Old 03-16-09, 01:56 AM   #45
CCbass

Jool are you using the 3/4 ounce or the 1/2 ounce, could make a difference. At that speed my small fish to good fish ratio is far better for big fish, bumping stuff or not. This is in fact just my history of using this bait.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.