Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-22-09, 07:56 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Beds?

It seems I've sound some late spawners down here in warm 'ol south Florida. 3 of them on a small pond, two in the 4-5lb range, and on in the 6-7lb range. Any ways, other than lizards, both sized brush hog, and jigs, what do you like for hitting bed? btw it's in clear water!
Old 03-22-09, 08:28 PM   #2
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Finesse worms, tubes, creature baits, craws, senkos.........anything you have that will crawl across the bottom and stop in the bed.

Got out today and played with a couple baits myself. Saw a couple nice fish cruising the shallows but none were interested in playing. No beds here yet but it's coming. Water temps in the low to mid 50's.
Old 03-22-09, 09:49 PM   #3
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i had a 1ber hit a chartuse peper lizard..

but i think finesse is a good choice for the beds..

Old 03-22-09, 10:00 PM   #4
Bassboss

Thanks guys! I forgot about tubes, one of my stand by's for beds, was in a hurry! I tried a brush hog, but their was a man and a female both on the bed, the man kept picking it up, when it dropped it, the female came over to see what was going on, it was looking at in hard, I twiched it and it spooked! Oh well next time I'll get them! To day I got 5 little bass, non of them where on beds that I could see. One big problem with fishing beds from shore, is that they are much more easily spooked when you're walk the shore... gotta get up a good ten feet from them and find this polarized glasses and pitch to 'em. It was really hard today, was a lot of wind and a chop on the water!

Oh ya, I also caught a gator on accident only about 2' though, was a real blast! It unhooked after about 3-4 minuites thankfully!

~good luck and good fishin'
Old 03-22-09, 10:27 PM   #5
bamabassman

jigs with craws for trailers. let em just SIT on the bed. or just craw softbaits. sit it on the bed.
Old 03-22-09, 11:02 PM   #6
woody

Here is a method that explains how to tail hooks those lizards when fishin for bedding bass.

I haven't tried it yet, but will be once the bass begin spawning.

~Mark

Dancing Lizards for Bedding Bass

Written by Outdoor Life

ON TENNESSEE'S DALE Hollow Lake, smallmouth guru Stephen Headrick has developed his own unorthodox method to entice big bronzebacks when they move to the shallows to spawn.

To coax strikes from these fussy fish, the Celina, Tenn., native uses 6-inch Zoom soft plastic lizards or salamanders he rigs using a "secret" style favored by local anglers.

First he removes a plug of plastic from the nose of a lizard with a .22 bullet cartridge. Then he inserts a 1/16-ounce bullet weight pointed-end first into the hole and seals it up by melting the plastic with a lighter or match.

Headrick then uses a length of thin wire, with a small eye bent into the wire at one end, to pull a length of line through the body of the lizard. He pushes the sharp end of the wire into the lizard between its front legs, then passes the end of the line through the loop and pushes the wire and line through the body and out at the base of the tail. Headrick reinserts the wire into the lizard at the base of the tail and draws the line out at the bend in the lizard's tail. Once a No. 6 short-shank hook is tied to the end of the line, the hook is then embedded in the tail or left exposed, depending on cover. The lizard will spin on retrieve and twist the line, so Headrick trims the rod end of the line to 3 inches and ties on a high-quality ball bearing. "You might think that little hook won't hang on to a five-pound smallmouth," says Headrick, "But trust me, it will."

LURE: Zoom Lizard (6-inch) in pumpkinseed or other bright colors.

TECHNIQUE: "Cast the lure and let it sink to the bottom," says Headrick. "The weighted nose stays down and the tail with the hook in it stands straight up. Shake the rod tip slightly so the tail dances. You don't want to move the lizard much, if at all. Nine times out of ten, the bass will grab the tail of the lure first, which is why the hook is there."

written by
OUTDOOR LIFE March 2005
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 11:05 PM   #7
bamabassman

hmmmm, have ya got a pic of this woody?
Old 03-22-09, 11:23 PM   #8
woody

I wish it did have one to show ya,but I don't.

Once I get a lizard rigged up, I'll see what I can come up with for ya.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 01:05 AM   #9
cassidyta

A large sewing needle will help you thread down to the tail as well.

As far as the females, drop shotting something that can smack them a few times will often trigger an angry strike. It is usually a subtle strike and often requires a very quick hook set. I prefer to go with a 2 inch bass assasin.
On the shore fishing plan, I usually will find the bed and then move up or down the shore line. (Either way that is opposite the sun)
It allows me to keep the bait in the area a little better than backing off the water the same distance.
Old 03-23-09, 10:30 AM   #10
Bassboss

Thanks guys,

Woody, that sounds great.... from what I can gather, kinda fuzzy, get a pic up quick ok?
Old 03-23-09, 10:46 AM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
jigs with craws for trailers. let em just SIT on the bed. or just craw softbaits. sit it on the bed.
Color & sent don't really mater for beds do they? It's more ot less trying iy get it off, than to eat it, right?
Old 03-23-09, 10:46 AM   #12
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My bed fishing is pretty simple. for shallow beds I use weightless 4 inch stickbaits for Smallies and 5 inch for Largemouths are my number 1 go to bait. Followed by 4 inch white/pearl tubes, 4 or 5 inch creature baits including lizzards and Baby Brush Hogs which seem to work better for me then the larger Brush Hog that's my go to bait for C-rigs.

I was thinking of trying a Zoom Finesse worm on a 1/8 oz ball jig to see what happens this year as well.
Old 03-23-09, 01:42 PM   #13
aikenyounggun

go with some crazy colors... white pink or anything bright.... chartreuse... anything that you can sink onto a bed and twitch.....

i know how hard it is to not spook the fish while walkin... stand back and just look... its hard........

i know the pollen is gettin bad here in SC... so get some dishwashin soap and mix it with water.... put it in an old spray bottle and when you spray it on the water the pollen will seperate like the red sea.... dont know why, but its just an old trick.... this will let you see the fish better
Old 03-23-09, 01:47 PM   #14
Bassboss

Thanks Joel sounds like some great stuff!

That's a cool trich Aiken! Thankfully I've never had pollon that bad, and, better yet, they are not doing right now!
Old 03-27-09, 02:13 AM   #15
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

if yer gonna try a tube i heard a lil trick somewhere not tried it yet tho. rig the tube up t-rigged or on a jig head, and put an alka-seltzer into the hollow part, but make sure you hit right on the bed, i heard the fizzing will quickly make the bass strike, sounded like a good idey to me, so im gonna try it.
Old 03-27-09, 09:08 AM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post
if yer gonna try a tube i heard a lil trick somewhere not tried it yet tho. rig the tube up t-rigged or on a jig head, and put an alka-seltzer into the hollow part, but make sure you hit right on the bed, i heard the fizzing will quickly make the bass strike, sounded like a good idey to me, so im gonna try it.
Sounds great! I bet it would also work in prespawn when the bass are gorging them self's, gotta get a tummy ache eating all that!!
Old 03-27-09, 10:28 AM   #17
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have heard that alka-seltzer is harmful to fish and can kill them...Some people kill sick fish that way in fish tanks, but I am not 100% sure on bass but i wouldn't take the chance!!!!
Old 03-27-09, 04:58 PM   #18
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingham View Post

I heard the same thing a long time ago. Never tried it.
Oddly enough, I thought that's what the "Fizzing a bass" thread was about until I entered the thread
Old 03-27-09, 05:49 PM   #19
bamabassman

the reason i said let it SIT on the bed is cause the momma bass will think that whatever is sitting on her bed is EATING her babies. makes her very, very mad.
Old 03-27-09, 05:52 PM   #20
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

The bass around here are extremely finicky when they're on their beds. Usually, I hafta really piss 'em off to cause a strike
Old 03-27-09, 05:53 PM   #21
Basscrazie

Find the sweet spot and you will get her.It could be anywhere in or around the bed.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-09, 06:00 PM   #22
DDM
BassFishin.Com Member

try ripping toads over beds
DDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-09, 12:37 AM   #23
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I heard the same thing a long time ago. Never tried it.
Oddly enough, I thought that's what the "Fizzing a bass" thread was about until I entered the thread
HAHA wow i thought noone else thought the same thing, i felt dumb when i actually saw the video after what i thought it was about.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.